Myths and Legends discussion

Zombie Mythology > Calculating Rate of Infection- Lil Help, Please?

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by C.E. (new)

C.E. Martin (cemartin2) | 37 comments as much as I love Zombie movies, I finally decided to work them into my own series, despite me constantly telling my kids, don't worry, zombies are impossible.

So now I'm trying to come up with a reasonable timeline for infection for my "reasonable" zombies. Although technically, they're less zombie than Danny Boyle's 28 Days Later zombies.

So far I've found soem interesting sites, but they leave me scratchign my head:

http://www.zombiesarecoming.com/2010/...

I don't think short incubation time is the real key. In fact, it's my biggest gripe about World War Z (the movie- the book is great). A short incubation time slows down the spread of infection outside a densely packed area. Great for the Japanese Subway, terrible for Rural America. Well, maybe I have that reversed...

Anyways, for my WIP, I'm looking at a Black Sunday (1977 movie) scenario: a stadium full of people get infected all at once. Then they take it home, and turn the next day. Then begin new infections, which take 8-12 hours to manifest.

I think that's a much more plausible world-ending infection scenario, but maybe I'm missing something.

Any thoughts?

bookcrazedchick | 225 comments Mod
C.E. wrote: "as much as I love Zombie movies, I finally decided to work them into my own series, despite me constantly telling my kids, don't worry, zombies are impossible.

So now I'm trying to come up with a ..."

I think allowing them to return to their families, thinking their fine and then having them suffer a slow onset of symptoms has a higher creepy factor than a short incubation period... that's just me, though.

message 3: by C.E. (new)

C.E. Martin (cemartin2) | 37 comments I thought so too... I was going for 8-12 hours before they become a rage-ish infected, like Danny Boyle envisioned in 28 Days later. Then I'm going for a 24-36 hour period before they have turned to a shuffling, hive-minded zombie/body snatcher type, infectious threat.

Trying to calculate a reasonable timeline for infection so I can chart government response and then work my story into that timeline. I like to fit the story to the facts, and not just ignore realism to make an idea work.