Bisky's Twitterling's Scribbles! discussion

Books/Characters > What are you reading?

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bisky (new)

Bisky Scribbles (bisky_scribbles) | 2536 comments Mod
What are you reading at the moment? :3

message 2: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Barnes | 86 comments Sherrilyn Kenyon's League series....again. :) Just finished book 2 now on to book 3.

message 3: by Bisky (new)

Oh I got fed up when she started the dream hunters thing, years ago. I did read the acheron one, just because ... its acheron :p Havent read anything by her for ages now :3

message 4: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Barnes | 86 comments League isn't a Dark Hunter book. It's a completely different series. Sci Fi. She has a new one coming about his brother, Styxx. I'm waiting for that one to arrive.

message 5: by Bisky (new)

Oh, no I know I was just saying I hadn't read one for years :3 I used to read her alot when I was like 14. Much to my mothers horror when she found out what I had been reading years later :p

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

The Surgeon by Tess Gerritsen. It's good, but the medical jargon is a bit OTT. I'm pretty clued up on medicine, but not that clued up. The jargon overkill is spoiling the book for me. I'd rate is as very good, but for the lingo.

message 7: by J (new)

J | 301 comments Mod
I learned in a business writing class that jargon should be left out, so anybody can understand the words. It seems the same idea could be applied to fiction writing. :) I don't mind a few jargon words, but I don't like them packed and packed into the story.

message 8: by Carl (new)

Carl The Iliad, trans. by Stephen Mitchell. Lots of honour, gore, clattering armour, dishonour, and stolen wits.

message 9: by Bisky (new)

@Calla and Josh, I had a teacher once tell me if you are writing about a subject you know lots about, make sure you write it as if you are explaining it to an alien. I think thats kinda how I feel with medical themed books :p

@Carl I love that describtion :3

message 10: by J (new)

J | 301 comments Mod
With writing, make sure many people can understand it. :3 -- when I read a wikipedia article for research, I see the jargon and I'm like... what?? xD

message 11: by Michael (new)

Michael Pearce (michaeltinkerpearce) | 91 comments Right now I am reading 'Dance With the Enemy.' It's a fantasy romance that my wife insisted that I read. It's well written but I am not much of a romance reader so I'm slogging just a bit. Also writing is killing my recreational reading time...

message 12: by Bisky (new)

@Josh But with Wiki you can click on the hard words :D I scare my nurse friend with my weird disease knowledge lol

@Micheal Thats because you should be Dancing with Fury has less romance... more fantasy.

What? shamless self Promoting? me?

Well I never... *shifty eyes*

message 13: by Michael (new)

Michael Pearce (michaeltinkerpearce) | 91 comments Dance With Fury isn't available yet, so we just have to make do.

message 14: by Bisky (new)

I know, I was only kidding ;3

message 15: by Rick (new)

Rick Soper (RickSoper) | 169 comments Uh... Hemlock Grove... I watched the series on Netflix so I thought I'd check out the book and its basically reading exactly the series, which wasn't great, but was entertaining

message 16: by Bisky (new)

Haha I find that with alot of animes and mangas :3

message 17: by Carl (new)

Carl Now it's The Odyssey, translated by Robert Fagles.

message 18: by Bisky (new)

I've got a lovely list of classics to nom in the month after next :3 (birthday :D)

message 19: by David (new)

David Grenier (davidgrenierbooks) | 3 comments @Calla, @Carl, @Bisky Re: Jargon

It's funny because I just wrote about that today for my blog post on Wednesday. It was inspired by a video that I was watching. Unfortunately, I couldn't get through it. The language was so heavy it was mind-numbing and made me feel like an idiot for not getting it. I like the "explain it as though they are an alien bit. Good stuff :)

message 20: by J (new)

J | 301 comments Mod
I haven't read the Odyssey; I'm guessing if I end up taking a World Literature class, I would have to read it. I know my mom had to read segments from it for her online Humanities class.

It's fun reading a book/manga from a movie/anime you watch and compare and contrast them. :3

Tomorrow and Tuesday, I'll be reading the Bible's Book of Revelation for my American Apocalyptic Literature class. :3 At my leisure I'm reading a book called "The Sorrow King." It starts out with many teenagers committing suicide. It's kind of a creepy book. o.O lol

message 21: by Kay (new)

Kay (aceraven) | 41 comments Well, for school I just finished reading a book about the history and symbolism of the Brooklyn Bridge. I'm currently in the midst of also reading a book on the history of historic preservation and humans acting on ecology.

For fun I am reading Wilderness Warrior, which is a biography of Teddy Roosevelt (he's my favorite president). It's a very big read, but I'm enjoying it. For fiction I just finished reading They Rode Good Horses.

I'm always reading at least two books for fun it seems. :)

message 22: by David (new)

David Grenier (davidgrenierbooks) | 3 comments Oh, and I'm reading a Star Trek Next Generation book called Indistinguishable From Magic. 3/4 of the way through and it's Ok. I'm at the point where I would put it down if I wasn't going to write a review of it...

message 23: by Karen (new)

Karen (okiewashere) | 57 comments Not counting the books I read for reviewing - I am currently reading Patricia Briggs' Mercedes Thompson series.
@Kay: Same here: at least two books for fun. :)

message 24: by Rick (last edited Sep 15, 2013 12:25AM) (new)

Rick Soper (RickSoper) | 169 comments I finished Hemlock Grove, which was not great (I reviewed it here at Goodreads), and moved on to Lee Childs Never Go Back

message 25: by Rick (new)

Rick Soper (RickSoper) | 169 comments PS I read both the Illiad and The Odyssy in college when I was getting my English Lit degree. I enjoyed both immensely.

message 26: by Anthony (new)

Anthony (warwarrior) | 2 comments Rick wrote: "PS I read both the Illiad and The Odyssy in college when I was getting my English Lit degree. I enjoyed both immensely."

Oh...I should read them. But I don't think I could stomach them.

message 27: by Anthony (new)

Anthony (warwarrior) | 2 comments I'm reading Moby Dick. I have to say, it's one of the few classics I can't stand.

message 28: by Kamil (new)

Kamil | 187 comments I am currently reading Sense and sensibility, alternating the read with the iron druid's chronicles

message 29: by Adam (new)

Adam Oster (fatmogul) | 21 comments I'm reading Lake Wobegon Days (a book that I'd be surprised knowledge of makes it out of the Midwest US, much less the greater country). It might possibly be the first book I will put down without finishing in quite some time.

message 30: by Bisky (new)

Oh dear :x

I'm a serial page skipper myself.

message 31: by Adam (new)

Adam Oster (fatmogul) | 21 comments Bisky wrote: "Oh dear :x

I'm a serial page skipper myself."

As an author, I try to read every word written, so much so that in a book like the one I'm currently reading, I go back and re-read the last page when I realize my thoughts have drifted off to things completely different.

But yeah... Garrison Keillor has never been known for being succinct, but this is just too much, me thinks. I'm giving it another 10 pages or so before I decide.

message 32: by Bisky (new)

People are always so shocked when I tell them I skip pages, like the book police will come and arrest me :p The only book I didn't skip a single page was Harry Potter and the Chamber of secrets.

But I do tend to read things more than once. So I'll probably catch all of it second time around :3

message 33: by Adam (new)

Adam Oster (fatmogul) | 21 comments I see nothing wrong with skipping a few pages here or there. I always fear that I'm going to miss something important and be completely lost somewhere down the line, unable to determine where it was that I missed it.

But I'm also a serial completist...

message 34: by Bisky (new)

I think thats why I skip, because I HAVE to finish something I start. Its really quite bothersome and why I get so vicious to those spamming authors on twitter with novels they put on amazon without reading them back through :p

message 35: by Adam (new)

Adam Oster (fatmogul) | 21 comments yeah, self-pubbed and indie authors do have a tendency to be pretty bad at actually having their book edited (whether or not they actually have someone else even do the editing)... (speaking as a self-pubbed author)

And yeah...I have the same problem with needing to finish things I start, which is why I'm still reading through this book I knew I wasn't going to want to finish over 50 pages ago.

message 36: by Bisky (new)

I'm willing to forgive typos and grammar. Afterall I'm really bad at both lol but I atleast want to know who is doing what :x

message 37: by Adam (new)

Adam Oster (fatmogul) | 21 comments right, I'm pretty forgiving of basic errors. They happen. Hell, they happen in those "real" books.

But when an author can't actually edit their writing down to a way where I have a clue as to what's actually happening in a given sentence... yeah.