Graphic Novel Reading Group discussion

General Discussions > What comic(s) to add to my monthly list?

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robert (new)

Robert Wright (rhwright) | 294 comments I'm on the cusp of one discount level or another with my comics shop (thanks to DC cancelling LSH and dropping my title count. damn you, DC!) and I'm looking for suggestions for titles to add.

Sure this may seem trivial, but I'm actually in a sweet spot where adding that one book would make a reasonable difference.

My current pull list:

Earth 2
Fantastic Four
FF
Guardians of the Galaxy
Nova
Sandman: Overture
Smallville Season 11
Superman Unchained
Thunder Agents
Worlds' Finest
X-Men

I'm thinking of adding 1 or 2 titles (since I may drop Superman Unchained and Guardians of the Galaxy). I tend to get my superhero fix monthly and leave more "serious" books for trade collections.

So, I open it up the GNRG memebers: suggestions? What should I be reading?

The only one that pops to mind is All-New X-Men, but other than that I'm drawing a blank on things I want now as opposed to waiting for the trade for.

message 2: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Clough (brendaclough) | 163 comments They've started up ASTRO CITY again on the Vertigo side, and it's looking good.

message 3: by Robert (new)

Robert Wright (rhwright) | 294 comments Haven't picked up Astro City in some time. With the Vertigo launch, is it an easy place to pick it up again or do you have to have kept up with it?

message 4: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Clough (brendaclough) | 163 comments There is a long arc going on, but the individual issues are one or two parters, easy to jump in on.

message 5: by Peter (new)

Peter | 150 comments Have you read any of the Valiant stuff? I'm enjoying the hell out of X-O Manowar, and I've heard good stuff about their other titles as well, which I've been meaning to catch up on.

message 6: by Robert (new)

Robert Wright (rhwright) | 294 comments Well, keeping with a desire for more hero action, it ended up being Flash and All-New X-Men for now.

Of course, X-men just kicked off a little "event," so kinda annoying.

message 7: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (aaaaaaaaaaaandrew) Hawkeye is great, I love the issue that was from his dog's perspective, brilliant

message 8: by 'kris (new)

'kris Pung | 135 comments Here's what I'm pulling these days (either in monthlies or trade)

Saga
East of West
Manhattan Projects
Wonder Woman
Swamp Thing
Thor God of Thunder

message 9: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (aaaaaaaaaaaandrew) I would love to read East of West

message 10: by Mike (new)

Mike I usually wait for my library to get the graphic novels, but the titles I read are

Daredevil -- my favorite - funny, great art
Hawkeye -- same as above
Superior Spider-Man -- hated concept but stories are pretty addicting (sort of hate loving it)
Captain America --series is ok. Hoping it gets better
Uncanny X-Men -- first story arc was great
Nova -- somewhat fun but might drop it soon
Saga --incredible world building w/beautiful art
Satellite Sam --short series
Usagi Yojimbo --when published
Lil Depressed Boy --" "

message 11: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (aaaaaaaaaaaandrew) The Sandman: Overture starts in a few weeks, I'll be adding that to my monthlies

message 12: by Laurel (last edited Sep 28, 2013 04:36PM) (new)

Laurel My stuff probably isn't your style...

Collecting the trades of Criminal, Fables, Chew, and American Vampire.

For Comics:
Saga
East of West
Fatale (LOVE this one!)
Nowhere Men
Ghosted
Lazarus
Rat Queens
Velvet (can't wait!)

And I may try Pretty Deadly, Rocket Girl and Hinterkind. I read the first Sex Criminals but I'm not sure if I'll continue. I want to see if it will move beyond the quite obvious gimmick into a character driven story.

message 13: by Amauri (new)

Amauri (prisoner248) As far as super-hero monthlies go Thor is so good right now it is stupid. You are missing the boat friend!

message 14: by Sam (new)

Sam Quixote (samquixote) Letter 44 from Oni is spectacular, as is Sex Criminals from Image. Pretty Deadly is awesome too.

message 15: by Paul (new)

Paul | 286 comments I`ve just added
Sandman: Overtures and
Marvel`s Miracleman reprints
to my pull list, so if you add
Dark Horse Présents,
that makes a total of 3 books I "regularly" get...
4 if you count
Robert E. Howard`s Savage Sword
which seems to be printing limbo.

message 16: by Man (new)

Man Munin | 1 comments Is there a secret room in Hades for people who plug their own graphic novels here in this innocent space? Yes, and one day I will see that room.

So check out the Otherworld Comic Book by Man Munin.

It's on Amazon but the link below is better.

https://www.createspace.com/4473588

message 17: by Robert (new)

Robert Wright (rhwright) | 294 comments I've also picked up Sandman and I'm waiting for Miracleman.

Many great suggestions since we started here, but some of them don't fit the intent of my original question (which I should have phrased a little different, looking back):

What superhero book should I be reading?

message 18: by Sam (new)

Sam Quixote (samquixote) Superhero books? Well...

Snyder and Capullo's Batman, for sure. Zero Year has been magnificent.

Snyder and Lee's Superman Unchained is also terrific.

Fraction and Aja's Hawkeye is a masterpiece.

Dan Slott's Superior Spiderman is really good too.

Pick your favourite superhero from the above, they're all wonderful titles (though I strongly favour Batman above all else).

message 19: by 'kris (last edited Nov 15, 2013 08:04AM) (new)

'kris Pung | 135 comments Charles Soule is killing it on Swamp Thing I also really like the new 52 Wonder Woman.

message 20: by Jim (new)

Jim | 3 comments dynamite is doing the best super-hero books i've read in a long time.

and non-super-hero try "letter 44" the first issue was only a dollar.

message 21: by Sam (last edited Jan 26, 2014 06:22AM) (new)

Sam (samvallen) | 7 comments Glad you are picking up All-New. I'm really enjoying both Uncanny and All-New X-Men. Bendis is doing some great things with his x-titles. Other notable superhero titles I'm picking up:

Marvel
*Hawkeye - amazing book
*Daredevil
*Thor: God of Thunder
*Avengers and New Avengers - heavy and involved stuff, but worth it
*Superior Spider-Man -some interesting stuff happening in the spideyverse right now

DC
*Batman
*Animal Man

I want to start picking up Swamp Thing and Wonder Woman. I've also heard Uncanny Avengers is really great, but I dropped off. I'm also really excited for the return of Silver Surfer!

message 22: by Tommy (new)

Tommy Hancock (tommyhancock) | 46 comments Invincible by Robert Kirkman is one of the best comics I've ever read, superhero or not. It's in the 110s now, so it would take some catching up, but it's well worth it.

message 23: by Julian (last edited Jul 28, 2014 05:27PM) (new)

Julian (julian_stropes) | 8 comments Beth Sniffs Books wrote: "Sam wrote: "........I'm also really excited for the return of Silver Surfer!

Would like more info about the return of Silver Surfer. Since your post was in January 2014 and now it's July 2014, h..."

The series is only on issue 4 or so, the book will still take a little bit to make it to trade unless you want to pick up the monthlies. I've read some of the 90s Silver Surfer books and this one is quite different but still good in its own way (although quite a number of people hate the 'Pop' artwork, I like the uniqueness it adds to the title and the more fantastical scenarios that come up in the book). I think it would be easily understandable for someone unfamiliar with the character to pick it up.

message 24: by Julian (last edited Jul 28, 2014 05:32PM) (new)

Julian (julian_stropes) | 8 comments The monthlies I've been picking up are:

Marvel-
Silver Surfer
Moon Knight
(Catching up on Superior Spider-man, kinda avoiding the return of Peter).

DC-
Batman
Batman & Robin
(dropped Green Lantern after Johns left, Animal Man and Swamp Thing after 'Rotworld' and Superman Unchained after issue 3)

Image-
The Superannuated Man

message 25: by Julian (new)

Julian (julian_stropes) | 8 comments Beth Sniffs Books wrote: "@Julian, Thanks so much for your reply! I found the descriptions on the issues on the Marvel site. Whoa. It seems pretty crazy, I think the good kind of crazy. I think I'll keep my fingers cros..."

The older Silver Surfer seems more traditional (for lack of a better term, but this is coming from someone who read them for the first time recently). I got issues 1-30 from Half Price books and read through some of them and I loved it because it was so fantastical and imaginative and it reminded me a lot of the earlier ages of comics (the idea that he would crisscross the galaxy and go anywhere and everywhere had so many possibilities).

Dan Slott's Silver Surfer is a lot less 'serious' than the 90s version. It's not as philosophical or drawn to the sublime as the earlier iterations. The book seems like a mashup of the earlier ages of comics with Doctor Who (which would make sense since I guess Slott is a fan of the show).

I sort of want the series to balance the strangeness and fun a little more with the with the soliloquies of the 90s Surfer (the series might be a little too similar to Doctor Who right now for my taste).

Hope that answered some of your questions.

message 26: by Jawairia (new)

Jawairia HI everyone!!I'm new to this group so if i make any mistakes please tell me!!So im looking forward to the man of steel movie 2!More like Batman vs superman dawn of justice also to the justice league movie but there's one problem the character who is playing the FLASH (Ezra Millers)is definitely not suitable to play the character who else agrees??

message 27: by Robert (new)

Robert Wright (rhwright) | 294 comments Jaya - Welcome!

One bit of advice: you may want to create a new topic or post to a topic that is relevant to your comment.

I'll gladly gab about superhero movies, but it's a bit OT for this thread.

message 28: by Samuel (new)

Samuel | 3 comments Get on the Image revolution! So many great books coming out with plenty of variety all tastes covered.
Sci-fi - Prophet, Low.
Space Western - East of West, Copperhead.
Horror - Wytches.
Crime - Fuse, The Fade Out, Roche Limit.
Fantasy - Saga, Rat Queens, Wayward.
Comedy - Sex Criminals.
ODY-C looks like it will be incredible and Rasputin was the best book of last month.
If you haven't tried out Saga or Sex Criminals yet then do yourself a favour and do it now before you have too much to catch up on!

message 29: by Meran (new)

Meran | 115 comments I've not been happy with ANY of the New 52s.

These are the superhero comics I get. I admit to not liking that genre much. However, I'm liking these: Sidekick, hmm. I thought I was reading at least two... Just went thru my recent set and don't see another superhero type.

message 30: by Jim (new)

Jim | 3 comments Meran, i agree w/you about the new 52, i've read a couple dozen that i've found in quarter boxes, only three or four were worth the quarter. the only dcs i've enjoyed the past three years have been Batman66 and Injustice - Gods Among Us. (and even that is less enjoyable w/Constitine in it).

have you read Astro City?

message 31: by Robert (new)

Robert Wright (rhwright) | 294 comments How much has changed in a year! So many great suggestions.

I haven't given the new Astro City a try yet. I remember when the original series came out and I picked that up for awhile. Is this a reboot or at least a jumping on point that doesn't require having read all the previous Astro City stories?

I like some of the New 52, particularly Flash and Batgirl. I even have been sucked into Future's End, god love me.

The revised list, with additions and deletions:

All-New X-Men: really enjoying this twisty time travel X-Men book
Back Issue: Fun magazine covering the era of comics I grew up with
Batgirl: jumped on with the new creative team. really enjoying.
Earth 2 : All the Earth 2 books have kicked into extra high gear
Earth 2: World's End Essential to the Earth 2 story, but I'll admit it feels like a cash grab, and the weekly scheduling demands mean a large number of creators, making the title really uneven.
Fantastic Four
FF
: both books were cancelled in favor of the Robinson reboot. Didn't enjoy that as much and dropped it after about 8 issues.
Flash: One of the New 52 titles that I feel was an improvement. The creative team has changed, so it's not quite as great, but definitely one of the books I look forward to.
Futures End: Intriguing concept, even as I realize it is a cash grab on my pocketbook by DC
Guardians of the Galaxy: Despite my love of the movie, and liking the New X-Men crossover quite a bit, after that the book got boring and added Venom for some reason. Which is kiss of death to a book, IMO.
Justice League United Almost gave up on it. Then, Legion of Superheroes storyline. Yes, DC knows which buttons to push on me.
Multiversity: Jury's still out, but Morrison is entertaining me on this one, as opposed to his other recent work for DC.
Nova : Sticking with this one. Mostly really solid, and my love of the character carries me over the odd rough issue.
Sandman: Overture Does this have a release schedule? >sigh<
Smallville Season 11 Got to seem too drawn out. May catch up digitally, eventually, as I like the concept.
Superman John Romita Jr art is carrying this one. Potential chopping block.
Superman Unchained Saw it to through the end, mostly for the pretty pictures.
Thunder Agents Not sure if this was cancelled or always intended as a mini-series. But I miss it.
Worlds' Finest
X-Men : may drop this after the current arc. It's good, just not that good.

I also tried the rebooted new Invaders by Robinson for the first story arc, and it just wasn't holding me enough to spend money on it. Not bad, just not good enough to make the cut.

For those who don't have the originals, I also have to put in a plug for Alan Moore's Miracleman, being reprinted by Marvel (with his name removed at his request). Essential, essential reading.

message 32: by Tiamatty (new)

Tiamatty | 84 comments I'd actually recommend sticking around for the next arc of X-Men. It'll be written by G. Willow Wilson, who's been doing amazing work on Ms. Marvel. Which reminds me: Pick up Ms. Marvel. It's just fantastic. Captain Marvel's pretty great, too.

message 33: by Mike (new)

Mike | 289 comments Robert wrote: "I haven't given the new Astro City a try yet. I remember when the original series came out and I picked that up for awhile. Is this a reboot or at least a jumping on point that doesn't require having read all the previous Astro City stories?"

It's a good jumping on point. There are tips of the hat to the older trades but the new series stands well on its own and provides enough context to follow. The four issue arc featuring Astro City's version of DCs "Trinity" was particularly good.

I loved all the old AC trades in general, but if you read it for a while at the beginning you likely read the best of that bunch - Confession.