Nora Roberts Groupies discussion

Archive > Weekly topic for discussion - What kind of story would you like Nora to write next?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 5721 comments Mod
She's just beginning a new trilogy, Dark Witch, based in Ireland and I'm thrilled we are going back there.

So, where would you like her to go next, either with a standalone novel or a series? Are you a fan of those based on brothers/male friends or sisters/girlfriends? Do you like the stories in a specific geographic location like the South? Or, is it genre based (paranormal)? We know she also likes to build stories around professions (dog training, archaeology, etc.) so that's another idea, too.

What's on your mind?

message 2: by Jonetta (new)

I love her stories that are centered around the male point of view (Chesapeake saga) and would love another series in that direction. Maybe it's about three really good friends who are in business together, say in New York, running a PR firm. That has lots of potential both with a career angle and in an exciting city.

message 3: by Talya (new)

Talya | 719 comments Mod
My favorite is when she has the story of a character who grows, develops and really evolves, like Jude from Gallaghers series or Nell from Three Sisters Island. I also adore when she does male p.o.v.
For next standalone or series, I'd like her to take us to Italy. I don't think she's really tapped into that setting fully, though she's touched on it a little in books like Homeport by Nora Roberts and The Villa by Nora Roberts

message 4: by Jonetta (new)

I've not read either of those (Homeport, The Villa) and not you've piqued my interest. Would LOVE an Italian setting.

message 5: by Talya (new)

Talya | 719 comments Mod
Ohmigosh Jonetta, get those on your tbr asap! I think you'll love them. But I recommend True Betrayals by Nora Roberts and Honest Illusions by Nora Roberts even more high priority.

message 6: by Janeiowa (new)

Janeiowa I would like to see Ms Roberts get back to those characters like Cameron Quinn, Alex Stanislaski, Nate Burke.

For me, those Chesapeake Bay series, the Stanislaski family, and Northern Lights were writing at its very best. The characters were real, the plots were real, and I was sucked into their world hook, line, and sinker.

message 7: by Talya (new)

Talya | 719 comments Mod
I agree Jane. She knows her men (especially the rebellious 'bad' boys) and writes them so well, especially when the story is character driven and not plot driven. The descriptions of the setting and dialog and everything just hook you in.

message 8: by Jonetta (new)

Talya, STOP adding to my shelf:) (as I add to my shelf)

message 9: by Talya (new)

Talya | 719 comments Mod
Haha Jonetta, I've gotta get you caught up with Nora's best stuff ;-p

message 10: by Quynh (new)

Quynh | 218 comments I would like to see a story of spy/undercover theme. Lots of intrigue, mystery, and betrayal to throw in there.

message 11: by Jonetta (new)

Would that be a standalone, Quynh? It's right up my alley.

message 12: by Quynh (new)

Quynh | 218 comments Jonetta wrote: "Would that be a standalone, Quynh? It's right up my alley."

I'm thinking so. I can't keep up with series anymore lol.

message 13: by Jonetta (new)

Is the hero or heroine the spy?!

message 14: by Quynh (new)

Quynh | 218 comments Jonetta wrote: "Is the hero or heroine the spy?!"

Now that you asked that, I'm leaning towards the heroine being the spy. I love strong, kickass, take-care-of-herself heroine so yea, girl power!

message 15: by Jonetta (new)

It would be SOOO interesting to have a woman as a spy and having to help protect or involve the hero.

Maybe it can be set in Italy:)

message 16: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Hoover (sandrahoover) | 181 comments Quynh wrote: "Jonetta wrote: "Is the hero or heroine the spy?!"

Now that you asked that, I'm leaning towards the heroine being the spy. I love strong, kickass, take-care-of-herself heroine so yea, girl power!"

Quynh wrote: "Jonetta wrote: "Is the hero or heroine the spy?!"

That would be an awesome story, Quynh...the heroine as the undercover agent!

message 17: by Jonetta (new)

Wouldn't it though?

message 18: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Hoover (sandrahoover) | 181 comments Yes, and I like Italy as the setting! She would get involved with him but he doesn't know she's undercover...that would be a nice switch up on plot!

message 19: by Jonetta (new)

Oooh...even better:)

message 20: by Quynh (new)

Quynh | 218 comments There you go Nora, a premise for a story. Now please write it for us! lol.

message 21: by Jonetta (new)

Quynh, we just took your storyboard and ran with it!

message 22: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Hoover (sandrahoover) | 181 comments And maybe she is investigating HIM...then does the unthinkable...falls in love with the suspect! lol

message 23: by Quynh (new)

Quynh | 218 comments Jonetta wrote: "Quynh, we just took your storyboard and ran with it!"

The more ideas, the better!

message 24: by Quynh (new)

Quynh | 218 comments For some reason, the idea of the hero being a genius/nerdy/clumsy guy keep coming back to me. What if he's vacationing in Italy, and while relaxing at a cafe (those outdoors one), he sees our heroine walking, but then her heel get stuck in the cobblestone. He tries to help but in his clumsiness, they both fall to the ground. After getting her shoe back on, she buys him coffee as a thank you. They end up sitting there and talking all day. Little does he know, our heroine is working undercover because the hero is working on something that may be important/useful to some government. He becomes smitten with her but they part ways, then another "chance" meeting happens again.

Where the story goes after that, I'm stuck. lol.

message 25: by Jonetta (new)

I'm hooked. Nora, write it.

message 26: by Talya (new)

Talya | 719 comments Mod
With an expected release date of April '14.
Yes, please and thank you!

message 27: by Janeiowa (new)

Janeiowa You Gals are a hoot!!

Big :)

message 28: by Quynh (new)

Quynh | 218 comments hahaha. Nora, are you listening?

message 29: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Hoover (sandrahoover) | 181 comments I'm thinking you should write it, Quynh! You've already worked out a rough outline!

message 30: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Hoover (sandrahoover) | 181 comments Oh, and I love the nerdy but sexy type. Like English teacher, Carter, in Nora's Vision in White! Nerd in glasses but oh so romantic & sexy! Loved that book.

message 31: by Quynh (new)

Quynh | 218 comments Sandra - *Starshine* wrote: "I'm thinking you should write it, Quynh! You've already worked out a rough outline!"

Writing a book is hard though!! I know nothing about spies and espionage. Imagine people looking up my google search history? lol.

message 32: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Hoover (sandrahoover) | 181 comments Hard, yes...but a labor of love if you love to write.

message 33: by Quynh (new)

Quynh | 218 comments Sandra - *Starshine* wrote: "Hard, yes...but a labor of love if you love to write."

That's why I admire all the authors out there! They always have to come up with new ideas and keep things fresh.

P.S. I loved Carter too. :)

message 34: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (samswindle) | 68 comments Hmmmm. I definitely like NR's trilogies. I love the way we are able to get to know and watch the characters evolve as the trilogy continues. I also like the stories that are written from the male pov. She is so good at that.
I agree too, that I love the 'wounded' characters that grow and work through their issues-male or female.
Hard to give an exact story line-if I could do that I might be able to write a good story myself!! LOL!

message 35: by Jonetta (new)

I'd forgotten about the "wounded" character, one of my favorite types of storylines. Thanks, Samantha.

message 36: by Vallsykes (last edited Sep 01, 2013 10:48AM) (new)

Vallsykes | 11 comments Though I loved the Chesapeake Bay series (absolutely--accept maybe Seth's book), and I prefer the male PoV, I'd really like to revisit a setting like the one in the Dream Trilogy. This trilogy may not have been a favorite among Nora's readers, but I took to it. I liked the "rich" Templetons & their extended family.

So maybe a series, or a book & sequel starring Laura's girls, Ali and Kayla. I would like to see what becomes of them in the high society and glamorous world they are bred in.

message 37: by Jonetta (new)

I liked the Dream Trilogy but wasn't a big fan of Margo:)

message 38: by Vallsykes (last edited Sep 01, 2013 10:46AM) (new)

Vallsykes | 11 comments Jonetta wrote: "I liked the Dream Trilogy but wasn't a big fan of Margo:)"

LOL, yup, I can see how Margo wouldn't be a fave. I liked the last book, Laura's book the best. I may not have liked Margo in her own story (Josh's PoV won that book), but I liked Margo's character throughout the rest of the series. Margo, also, was kind of perfect for the world that is richly outlined as the backdrop of the Templeton's lives. Her character exhibits greed, ambition, vanity and carelessness. But, she has an integrity somewhere in there and she's loyal.

message 39: by Jonetta (new)

Yeah, she somewhat redeemed herself by the end of the series but I'm lukewarm about her at best.

I loved Laura's story, too!

message 40: by Talya (new)

Talya | 719 comments Mod
I so agree Vallsykes and Jonetta. Margo was not very endearing, but it was nice to have the whole series to see Laura's growth and evolution.

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, I still haven't gotten a chance to read The Dream Trilogy. Is it a good trilogy? I heard that trilogy is about horses and farm~houses,is that tru? I'm just wonderin'.

message 42: by Jonetta (new)

It's a really good trilogy, even though I had issues with the heroine in the first book. The three books are about three friends that grew up together. Each book deals with the choices the women pursued, those consequences and their reconnecting and redirecting as adults.

Here are the links to each book where you can read the synopses.

Daring to Dream
Holding the Dream
Finding the Dream

message 43: by Quynh (new)

Quynh | 218 comments I love the Dream trilogy. The heroes in that book made the series all the better.

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Jonetta wrote: "It's a really good trilogy, even though I had issues with the heroine in the first book. The three books are about three friends that grew up together. Each book deals with the choices the women pu..."

thanks for the book recommendations, I appreciated that. I actually really do need a really good book to "get lost inside" (if ya know what I mean,lol).But thanks again for the recommendations. So, I've been readin' on here about how alotta readers on here don't really like Margo (the female character from Book 1:Daring To Dream). What's wrong with Margo? Does she whine too much or somethin'? I mean, whats so really wrong about Margo? I'm just curious,in case I do wanna start readin' the trilogy or not,altho I haven't made up my mind just yet...even tho I am still interested in readin' the trilogy and all....

message 45: by Jonetta (new)

I just thought Margo was a bit shallow and self centered. The choices she made often reflected this and it was hard for me to connect with her. She's really beautiful and used that a lot to make her way.

Hope that's helpful. Others may have a different point of view.

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes,that does totally help me out about Margo,thanks. Even tho, I haven't read the trilogy just yet, from what u just said...it does sound like Margo is bein' very whiney (almost like a 3 year old child,lol)... It does sound like it would b very hard to connect with her or even feel like u can relate to her n some way or whatever. So, I take it that she uses her good looks and charm to get what she wants...? Seriously? Y would Margo wanna do that for? Just makes me wonder about her character~build up...hmmm. Anyways, thanks again for answerin' my question and helpin' me out with those helpful hints about Margo.

message 47: by Jonetta (new)

I would highly recommend you read the story as it's really good. Margo's just not one of my favorites.

message 48: by Quynh (new)

Quynh | 218 comments I didn't mind Margo. She was self centered and selfish because she grew up wanting everything she couldn't have. And now that she has it, it becomes a hard habit to break to wanting the finer things in life. A scandal becomes her wake up call, and she runs home to the people who know her best. She redeems herself throughout the book for me. If anything, she's has loyalty as her best quality. I recommend reading the book and judge for yourself.

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

Jonetta and Quynh~thanks ya'll. I just read what ya'll just wrote on here and I really liked ya'll's comments.What ya'll said helps me out alot....thanks again. I'll give The Dream trilogy a chance and sorta judge it for myself..

message 50: by Jonetta (new)

Perfect!

« previous 1