Bisky's Twitterling's Scribbles! discussion

Books/Characters > How would you like your novel adapted into another media?

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J (new)

J | 301 comments Mod
I thought of this question this morning. If you had a chance, what media would you like your novel to be produced with? Examples: Would you like your story made into a live action TV series, live action movie, 3D animation, anime series, comic books/manga, a play, etc?

I was big into anime when I started writing, so when I write, my imagination takes place in an anime world. I would love my story to be made into a 12-episode anime series or even an anime movie. But it would be amazing to see a live action version, too. But if I had one choice: anime all the way. :3

What about you guys? :3

message 2: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Barnes | 86 comments I've been told by a couple of people it's like I have a movie in my head and I just write what I see. Movie would be cool, although I think I would have a hard time if they chopped it all up.

message 3: by Bisky (new)

Bisky Scribbles (bisky_scribbles) | 2536 comments Mod
OOOh! Such a good question :3

I wrote A Dance With Fury as the beginning of a manga script. But I'd like to see it as a comic style graphic novel too :3 I think it could be a nice anime too :3

My first novel -needs- to be a big live action blockbuster one day :3 No two ways about it, hehehe.

message 4: by Bisky (new)

P.S I see A Dance With Fury in my head as an anime but I don't know if others will :3

message 5: by J (new)

J | 301 comments Mod
@Heidi It would be interesting to see how it's arranged for film. I wonder how much say authors have--I wonder what J.K. Rowling had control over for the Harry Potter films. A lot would probably have to be condensed or omitted.

@Bisky :3 Having a blockbuster movie would probably make an author more famous than an anime--you'd kind of be in the celebrity world.

My other story would probably make a better movie than anime. Writers can just feel it. x3

When I read your excerpt of A Dance with Fury I pictured real life. My dad read my first draft of my old, old novel, and I bet he didn't see an anime world. Wouldn't it be fascinating if we could look into people's heads and see how they see our stories? :3

message 6: by Bisky (new)

JK rowling was a consultant! She chose alan rickman for snape and told him the ending of the book before the 5th was even written! :] But I think alot was out of her hands.

She did mention that she hates 'a sourcers(spelling lol) stone' since it made no sense to 'translate it' for the americans. BUt she had little strength as a new author.

*Wouldn't it be fascinating if we could look into people's heads and see how they see our stories? :3 * OMG yes! I would love that :D

And I think you'll see the anime once you get to the third chapter :3 I see the first as a mix of live action and anime myself :p

*Writers can just feel it. x3*

Call me crazy but I can just feel my first novel (one of three) is going to be massive :x I just feel like it will be. I just need to get it published >:(

I know it took JK rowling a few years to get published. All the hard work I'm doing now is in the hopes of pushing it along :3 I like a Dance with Fury as a story, its a book I'd read and I'm uber excited about. But I feel like my other novel has phenomeon potential :3

(I'm stark raving mad :x)

message 7: by Heidi (last edited Aug 27, 2013 09:02AM) (new)

Heidi Barnes | 86 comments Josh wrote: "@Heidi It would be interesting to see how it's arranged for film. I wonder how much say authors have--I wonder what J.K. Rowling had control over for the Harry Potter films. A lot would probably ha..."

Actually, I think she had a lot of say towards the end. I know they would try to omit or change something in an earlier movie while she was still writing a later book and she would say...um no, you can't do that..but not explain why because she didn't want to leak anything. lol

Usually authors don't have any say in the movie version. Although I think that is changing a little because of the fan base for some of the books.

message 8: by Bisky (new)

.um no, you can't do that..but not explain why because she didn't want to leak anything

No she did tell them about Lily and Snape :3

message 9: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Barnes | 86 comments @Bisky (I'm stark raving mad :x)

I think we are all a little. We have to be to come up with some of the things we do. lol

message 10: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Barnes | 86 comments Bisky wrote: ".um no, you can't do that..but not explain why because she didn't want to leak anything

No she did tell them about Lily and Snape :3"

Yes, but she held out for a while and I think I remember there was something she didn't tell. It's been a while. :)

I think the most amazing thing would be to walk onto a set that was made from one of my books. Something I saw in my head and another person brought to life.

message 11: by J (new)

J | 301 comments Mod
@Bisky - I guess an author's role varies. I never knew until a few years ago it's called the Philosopher's Stone originally. I never quite understood why. I look forward to reading the rest of your novel. :3

My first novel series I planned will be massive, too. I actually wrote 3 1/2 books but decided to start over. Too much 'seat of the pants" involved.

Don't stop trying :3

@Heidi - I guess making a movie before the series is finished has its challenges. Maybe it would've been better to wait until the books were out? I guess with Harry Potter it would've been a long wait. xD

message 12: by Bisky (new)

I do think rewrites can be one way to go about things :3 I think they should have waited until the books were finished.

I think if someone did make the movie I wouldnt be able to leave the male lead alone >:3

*Bisky pounce attack*

message 13: by Ken (new)

Ken Mooney (kenmooney) Everything that I write plays out visually in my head, so I'd love to follow through and see it adapted, either for a movie, or for a mini-series (HBO FTW!)

I have directors picked out (curse you, Zack Snyder, for having a successful career that might have put you out of my reach) and cast (I want Justin Timberlake for a supporting character...I dunno either.)

What's quite cool is that other people have commented on the same to me, that it's a pretty visual style and they can see the cameras moving around rooms or see certain actors in certain parts.

I actually want to do a short comic filling in between two books though, and I've an artist picked out (if he'd ever just hurry up and be available) but the purist in me doesn't want to see that bit adapted...because I want to write it specifically for the comic-page and play with the convention that way.

message 14: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Castro (nicolecastro) | 116 comments Heidi wrote: "I've been told by a couple of people it's like I have a movie in my head and I just write what I see. Movie would be cool, although I think I would have a hard time if they chopped it all up."

This. I assign a cast to my characters too. But it plays like a movie in my head. I think maybe this is why the "read your manuscript out loud" doesn't work for me because I do it so hard in my head. That sounds really dumb, I know. :-S

message 15: by Bisky (new)

Oh I never read outloud.

HBO is awesome sauce.

message 16: by Deb (last edited Aug 30, 2013 12:33AM) (new)

Deb (soulhaven) | 103 comments Hmm... I kept my debut pretty simple:
1. to increase chances of finding a publisher (even though I was tempted not to bother, and in the end didn't bother with the big ones)
2. because, sure, I'd LOVE to see my story on the big screen.

I'd like to play a little more with manga, but time to catch up on new things (for me) is limited with a child in the house and work to do! I attempted to do my own manga-style drawing swhen I was first writing. Was fun, but I'd need a lot more practise before I got fully into it.

message 17: by Bisky (new)

Yeah, manga takes alot of disipline and time. Or just a japanese work ethic :p

message 18: by Carl (new)

Carl Definitely a graphic novel. I love that format where art and writing meet.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Before starting to write, I usually visualise my scenes. As I am also a cinema student, I think of the angles of frame and stuff like that. So I guess, it would be cool to see one of my novels/short stories as a movie, just to see if it matches the view I had of it when writing.

message 20: by Bisky (new)

@carl I think I like graphic novels but I am a huge music buff! I would like to see movies just for the soundtrack :3

@Sandy I would have to have some input in the movie! Im a total control freak! I wouldnt like it if it was too far from the book :x

message 21: by J (new)

J | 301 comments Mod
@Carl I thought about making illustrations to put in my novel if I self publish.

@Sandrine It would be interesting to see how a movie director would interpret the manuscript text.

@Bisky A unique soundtrack for a story would be awesome. :3

message 22: by James (new)

James Caterino (jimcaterino) | 37 comments @Ken I'm like you. I have running lists of directors and casting potentials that run five deep. I go as far as D.P.'s and production designers and locations.

@Sandrine I do a similar thing. I have a film and directing background so I usually write my initial first draft in screenplay format and storyboard out some of he scenes before I novelize it.

@Carl @Josh Man if I could draw good enough I'd adapt some of my books into graphic novels in a heartbeat and self-publish as a creator owner through Image. That is kinda how "The Walking Dead" came to be.

@Bisky Oh yeah, I am a soundtrack geek and have my composer choices ready to roll. Of course that decision as well as all the other choices are up to director and producers. The only way a film will ever be your vision is if you direct it yourself. Otherwise it is someone else's interpretation, but it can be a really, really good interpretation, if the filmmakers get it right. But the nice thing is fans will always have access to your unfiltered vision as long as the book is around.

message 23: by Carl (new)

Carl I can't draw a straight line with a pencil and a ruler ruler.

message 24: by Rick (new)

Rick Soper (RickSoper) | 169 comments Like a few others in this discussion group I have a background in TV production, so as I was putting together my Rock Series of books I was writing it in a very visual way while thinking of transitional points which would not only move the reader from scene to scene, but also the potential viewer down the line. The book series would play out well as a series on HBO, and I would love for it to be there, but I've seen BBC do wonderful adaptations of books like Val McDermid's Wire in The Blood Series, and Netflix's House of Cards was an incredible series, so I don't want to throw all my eggs into the HBO basket. The truth of the matter is that Netflix blew the doors wide open to the whole idea of content being created specifically for internet distribution. And before you say it, yes I have seen many of the things on Youtube and Yahoo, but none of them have received any Emmy nominations yet. Not that I'm high on the Emmy's since they didn't nominate Tatiana Maslany for her outstanding performances in Orphan Black. But the point I'm trying to make is I really don't care where it ends up as long as viewers can tune into it, download it, stream it or watch it in some way, shape, or form.
...oh yeah... I also wrote eleven or thirteen songs within the text of the Rock Series, the bulk of which are in the Rock Star, and I cannot wait for any rock group to ask to record them. I would be so happy if they did, and I would say yes in a heartbeat, as long as they weren't too terrible a group, because I'm dying to hear them played. I can't sing, I love to play guitar, but I'm not very good, and I really can't think in musical terms, but I don't think they lyrics are really too awful, so I hope someone takes me up on the offer to use them. I would of course retain all right to royalties for the lyrics, but the band would have all rights to the musical portion of the royalties so it could work well for both of us. So I'm looking for a video series and a rock album based on the lyrics from my books, either one would be totally cool (And I can say totally cool I'm from California...)

message 25: by Bisky (new)

@Carl lol!

@Rick shame we can't make a band with this goodreads group :3 (I play bass guitar ;3 )

message 26: by Ken (new)

Ken Mooney (kenmooney) Rick, it's funny that you mention music. Not only do I have cast/crew chosen, but also soundtrack for specific scenes: it's a very 00's soundtrack, straight out of the world of nu-metal and emo and cover-versions of 80s songs.

BUT...it's sort of funny how we artists can help each other out. A mate has just started up a new band and they posted their new song on YouTube/Facebook on Monday: I've already been in touch about wanting to use it in my next book trailer.

message 27: by Rick (new)

Rick Soper (RickSoper) | 169 comments Bisky I only make loud happy noises on my guitar that make my little dogs howl and cry... But attempting to play with other authors would be fun...like Stephen Kings band The Rock Bottom Remainders

message 28: by Quanisha (new)

Quanisha McGruder (quanii_a) | 14 comments Carl wrote: "I can't draw a straight line with a pencil and a ruler ruler."
Glad to know I'm not the only one lol! :) :D

message 29: by Quanisha (new)

Quanisha McGruder (quanii_a) | 14 comments I like the idea of a graphic novel but for my short story collection. I would also choose to have my collection in a live action movie or TV series. It would be awesome to see all the explosions and car chases the way I picture it in my mind.
And I also have some music picked out too. The way my mind works, I see images and someone acting the scene out then I write it. (if that makes sense)

message 30: by Ken (new)

Ken Mooney (kenmooney) It makes more sense than you probably think it does, Quanisha...we're all friends here!

I was rather bold today, watched a (relatively indie) movie, thought the star was perfect for one character in my book and jokingly sent her a link to the book and told her the part was hers. I'm now regretting it and wondering WTF WAS I THINKING but...hey, such is the crazy world we live in.

message 31: by Bisky (new)

@Quanisha I want to read about these explosions :D!

Being bold is never a problem. I told Betty Krocker to give me stuff for my blog, not only did they follow me but I got two packets of cookie mix from california >:3

(Im gonna bake them on my book release so they will share it on their twitter ;D)

message 32: by Ken (new)

Ken Mooney (kenmooney) Never a problem, but somewhat embarrassing.

On the upside, I also hooked comic-book writer Steve Niles up with following my publisher lol

message 33: by Bisky (new)

Nice! :D

I seem to have some famous actors following me for some reason :o

*Is biding time before she sells herself by DM for shares* :P

message 34: by David (new)

David (darev) Josh wrote: "I thought of this question this morning. If you had a chance, what media would you like your novel to be produced with? Examples: Would you like your story made into a live action TV series, live ..."

Good question, Josh. Mine has the making of a movie all the way, or perhaps a straight to TV miniseries. I wrote "The River Styx" into Five Acts which I think can be split into two two-hour television specials.

message 35: by J (new)

J | 301 comments Mod
@Bisky - What kind of cookie mix? @w@

@Ken - So does that mean you have a comic book artist acquaintance who could potentially do comic art for you?
:3

@David - A mini series would be cool--possibly cheaper than a theater film (I don't know much about the costs of the media industry.) I read a book in my Brit. Lit class last year and afterwards we watched the film version, and I noticed many, many lines were cut out in the film. So that's something to consider when thinking about what media you want your story adapted into. :3

Each act could end up being a whole episode. :D

message 36: by Bisky (new)

It was sugar cookie mix :3 I thought it was powder but the packet is squishy :o

message 37: by J (new)

J | 301 comments Mod
Sugar cookies are the best cookies. :D

message 38: by Bisky (new)

I have to make them soon they run out in october. Maybe for my birthday :D

They will taste like america :D

message 39: by Ken (new)

Ken Mooney (kenmooney) Josh wrote:
"@Ken - So does that mean you have a comic book artist acquaintance who could potentially do comic art for you?
:3"

I have a few actually. It's finding one that isn't (too) busy to do it that's the awkward bit! I want to commission a few of them to do different characters, but there's a huge part of me that feels like I'm sort of wasting their time...

message 40: by Bisky (new)

@Ken, they can always say no :] but I know what you mean :3

message 41: by E.S. (new)

E.S. Wesley (eswesley) | 22 comments What if an indie filmmaker wanted to turn your book into a movie? Would you take the risk?

I've got one right now who's asking, and I just don't know that I'm comfortable with it. Sure it'd be exposure, but what if it was sucky exposure?

message 42: by J (new)

J | 301 comments Mod
@Ken/Bisky - If they're getting paid, it ain't wasting their time. (I guess. lol) I love commissioning artists. I have too many posters in my bedroom. :3

@E.S. I say go for it--just see what happens. I'm sure you can work with the filmmaker to make the conversion comfortable for you. :D

message 43: by Bisky (new)

@E.S i would friggin love that xD!

@Josh On the exceedingly rare chance that Dance With Fury is a big hit and I can afford it lol, I'll commision someone to work with me to make my next book a graphic novel. I suck at inking, I have no confidence It would take me too long to do :x

message 44: by Ken (new)

Ken Mooney (kenmooney) Ooh, ES. I'd love that too.

But...there are a lot of sucky Indie film-makers out there. And it's not just the film-maker to think about, but the actors and other talent involved in the production.

I'd love it if somebody had that interest, but I'd have to have a look at a lot of their stuff first. A lot of my book would be effects/make-up/costume/tone-heavy, and while certain Indie film-makers can pull that off, there's a sort of requirement for budget there... Certainly, anyone that I know personally are mostly student/documentary types and I think would need a lot of budget to pull it off.

message 45: by J (new)

J | 301 comments Mod
@Bisky - I thought of doing the same, but have my story made into manga format. :3 I thought of doing my own drawings to include on some pages in the Scarlet Ribbon, but I suck at that... lol Plus I think anime drawings in a normal novel would turn some people away.

message 46: by Bisky (new)

@Josh Yes I know, mentioning anime anywhere is a risk I think. But to be honest I want to attract anime and manga fans to my novel, I think its a neglected form of literature in the west :] Like comic books were over a decade ago. Most of my favourite stories ever come from Mangas.

I can draw quite well it just takes me so much time, and the materials are expensive >.<