Bisky's Twitterling's Scribbles! discussion

All Things Writing > That word you ALWAYS misspell

Comments Showing 1-50 of 87 (87 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Bisky (new)

Bisky Scribbles (bisky_scribbles) | 2536 comments Mod
You know its gotten to the point where I don't even care anymore with defanitly. (definitely)

My brain just won't allow me to get it right.

So, whats your least favourite word to spell?

message 2: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Barnes | 86 comments I don't like that word either. I rarely get it right, and that is only after trying it 5 or 6 times before spell check finally understands what I'm trying to say.

I would have to say then vs than. I'm finally getting it down, but it's one that gets me because of the way I say it.

message 3: by Adrian (new)

Adrian Fridge (adrianfridge) Suprise (surprise). It's because there is no R when I verbally say the word.

I'm American but I unintentionally prefer British spellings. Sometimes I use apologise. Mostly it's with amoung, armour, and the occasional colour. Apparently those are "wrong" spellings according to all spell checkers I have.

message 4: by J (new)

J | 301 comments Mod
@Bisky & Heidi I had a conversation about being unable to spell definitely like 4 years ago, but because of that conversation, I spell it correctly every time. :p It's a tricky adverb.

@Adrian It took me a while to realize British and American English have a few differences. :3

My hard word used to be license, but now it's conscious. Oh wow, I spelled it correctly. Usually I misspell it. :3

message 5: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Barnes | 86 comments Adrian wrote: "Suprise (surprise). It's because there is no R when I verbally say the word."

I'm one of those people who put the r in wash when I talk. Drives my family nuts. (which may be the reason I refuse to fix it, but don't tell them that. ;) ) It's amazing I don't spell it that way. lol

message 6: by Bisky (new)

I do think spellings have alot to do with pronounciation. I'm southern British (outside london) so I say 'sir-prize' and 'def-fin-ate-lee' I notice that I can spell some things easier because of that :3

message 7: by Adrian (new)

Adrian Fridge (adrianfridge) Oh, and latest discovery: scizzors!

Because I can never guess whether a word needs an S or a Z.

message 8: by Bisky (new)

NOW ITS ALL I CAN SEE :O! Ahhh!

message 9: by Michael (new)

Michael Pearce (michaeltinkerpearce) | 91 comments I know better. I know I do it. Yet somehow I can't seem to stop myself from typing someone as 'some one.'

message 10: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Blake | 3 comments Definitely always used to be mine. Just lately I appear to be struggling with 'Breath' and 'Breathe' or at least Word is struggling, and therefore causing self doubt about my own spelling and grammar abilities.

message 11: by Deb (new)

Deb (soulhaven) | 103 comments Pretty much anything starting with one 'L', these days. My heroine of my debut and susequent WIP is called "Llew/Llewella". A single 'L'? What are you talking about?

Oh, yes, 'definitely/definately' was one of my pets previously, too. I have learnt, though!

Oh, and because I live in New Zealand and we get to pick and choose UK/US spellings, sometimes I need to look up to check, eg. 'learned/learnt'... (o: For me, personally, I usually prefer the UK spellings, although I would like to use more zeds (o;

message 12: by Bisky (new)

Yay for england :p

message 13: by Carl (new)

Carl Archaeology. I have to think about it and play my phonetic game to get it right. Arch. AE. Ology. Then I stare at it. Thus it's a basilisk word.

message 14: by Bisky (new)

I think the only reason that isn't a hard word for me is because I study it lol :p

message 15: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Castro (nicolecastro) | 116 comments Believe. No b/c I don't know how to spell it, my fingers just go too fast sometimes. I had to type that really slowly. LOL
I have trouble with words than end in -ent or -ant too. Consistent etc.

message 16: by Bisky (new)

Believe is a really hard one for me :3

message 17: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Barnes | 86 comments Another one - or actually 2 in this case - is in case. I always want to put it together.

message 18: by Paulette (new)

Paulette (pauletteoakes) | 4 comments I always want to write "confidant" instead of "confident". Spell check never catches that one, but my copy editor always does, thank goodness!

message 19: by Bisky (new)

Oh thats a horrible one! lol

message 20: by J.K. (new)

J.K. James (author_jkjames) | 8 comments genious - that's the genius part of it.

message 21: by Ren (new)

Ren Williams (anxiousgeek) | 21 comments Necessary. Restaurant. My first name I usually write or type wrong in a hurry.

message 22: by Bisky (new)

those are hard! I also had to learn how to spell library as there are a few words a Twitter writer can't get away with misspelling lol

message 23: by Ren (new)

Ren Williams (anxiousgeek) | 21 comments Words like library and February are words I saw phonetically to myself in my head before I write them.

message 24: by J.P. (new)

J.P. Sloan (jpsloan) | 19 comments I keep vacillating between "judgment" and "judgement."

message 25: by G.J. (new)

G.J. Griffiths (gjgriffiths) | 3 comments occasion or is it occasion? and contemporary I think!

message 26: by J.K. (new)

J.K. James (author_jkjames) | 8 comments Nervious is how my brain seems to think Nervous is spelled

message 27: by Bisky (new)

Its because your nervous about spelling it

message 28: by Susan (new)

Susan (authorsusanreid) | 28 comments Rhythm and Rhyme...probable misspelled them here too! :(

message 29: by Bisky (new)

omg so hard!

message 30: by Carl (new)

Carl playwright

message 31: by James (new)

James Rook | 101 comments Silhouette. It is my white whale.

message 32: by Susan (new)

Susan (authorsusanreid) | 28 comments @ James... that's another one of mine too!

message 33: by Bisky (new)

I can't stand that word.

message 34: by J.K. (new)

J.K. James (author_jkjames) | 8 comments Gray / Grey

message 35: by Giulia (new)

Giulia I'm a horrible speller. There are plenty of words I can't spell. I use a variety of strategies to help me with this but I still suck. Funnily enough, I have a degree in English lit which just proves spelling isn't everything. But I do thank God for spell check because I'm certain I have some form of dyslexia.

message 36: by Bisky (new)

Im not actually diagnosed with dyscalculia or dyselxia, mum never bothered getting me checked because my dad is so servere she knew one of us would get it (along with the aspergers) When I was older and I went to university I needed help but no one would believe that I was really that bad as I had such a high maths GCSE (highschool leaving grade) I can't tell analog time and I have to count using my fingers.

You can do almost anything if you work your butt off at it.

Its all about finding coping mechanisms, like double checking to and too which I seem to be screwing up alot recently lol.

message 37: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 1053 comments Mod
Receive. Thank goodness for spellcheck. (That thing with the E and the I... why does the English language have to be so fussy! :P)

message 38: by Bisky (new)

Thats werid... because i can't spell weird >.<

Curse you E and I. Curse you all to hell! (A bin with lots of erasers)

message 39: by Claire (new)

Claire (cycraw) | 278 comments The 'I' before 'E' thing is crap because there are so many exceptions to the rule. Drives me batty.
I always get necessary wrong. But I find that making silly sounding rules about words helps me remember them. Like with necessary I always tell myself that only one c is necessary. That way I remember not to spell it nessecary or some other such mixed up spelling.

message 40: by Molly (new)

Molly Mortensen (mollymortensen) | 25 comments Restaurant, unfortunately, definitely

haha, yup had to spell check all three.

message 41: by G.G. (new)

What bugs me the most about the language though is not the little things like the E and the I, but the different pronunciations of the same spelled words.

For example: Dove (cute little feather thingy) vs Dove (past tense of dive.)

After all, it's the exact same letters. How can they make a rule for that?

message 42: by Bisky (new)

English is weird! I always remember Viking's little lightbulb moment when he realised the song "Who likes short shorts."

Meant shorts that were short. He just thought the words were repeating :p

message 43: by G.G. (new)

@J.K. Grey/Gray depends on where you live. Save as those words ending with S or not. Or the famous missing U as in Color instead of Colour.

That's a real nightmare. Being born in Canada which followed more of the British rules for spelling/talking, and moving to the USA later on, I am often writing half American, half British.

message 44: by Claire (new)

Claire (cycraw) | 278 comments In South Africa we write it colour as well. The teacher always said that we should remember that we write it "our" way because we put "our" in our words. Helped us remember it.

message 45: by G.G. (new)

@ Claire that's a cool way to remember!

message 46: by Claire (new)

Claire (cycraw) | 278 comments @G.G :-)

Just saw this on pinterest: There are 923 words that break the I before E rule and only 44 that follow it.

Ahhhh English, sometimes I think my (Russian) husband is right about you!!

message 47: by Bisky (new)

I dunno, I speak a Scandinavian language that has hardly any rules for anything lol

Me: "But how do you know when to use it?"

Teacher: *shrug* "You just do."

message 48: by J. David (new)

J. David Clarke (clarketacular) | 418 comments Claire wrote: "@G.G :-)

Just saw this on pinterest: There are 923 words that break the I before E rule and only 44 that follow it.

That's just plain evil. There's one "ie" word that I always misspell but I forget which one. I only remember when I misspell it again. Also, for some reason lately I cannot seem to convince my brain that the word "worshiping" only has ONE P IN IT.

message 49: by Bisky (new)

I can't spell werid. But I never get anyone correcting me, because well.. I don't think anyone else can either! :P

message 50: by G.G. (new)

When you play on-line games you see all kinds of misspelled words but the one that seem to pop the most is rouge instead of rogue. I guess it's because rogues get caught red(rouge)-handed? :P

« previous 1