Literary Horror discussion

The Darkest Part of the Woods
This topic is about The Darkest Part of the Woods
Monthly Reads > The Darkest Part of the Woods

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Randolph (us227381) | 29 comments Discussion thread. Please tag major spoilers.

Randolph (us227381) | 29 comments C.M. wrote: "Here is an interesting video interview of Ramsey that was conducted by Justin Steele at his Arkham Review blog, wherein R discusses (in brief) "The Darkest Part of the Woods", stating that its temp..."

Thanks. Very interesting.

Randolph (us227381) | 29 comments On your mark...

Randolph (us227381) | 29 comments Get set...

Randolph (us227381) | 29 comments Jodi wrote: "Are we reading this over the course of the month or are we on any schedule (a certain number of pages or chaps a day/week or something like that)?"

I set this first one up for the entire month. I suppose if we find this is not an ideal format, we could go in weekly doses in the future in which case I would setup discussion threads to correspond to a certain number of pages read. This way you don't have to worry about spoilers as well.

Randolph (us227381) | 29 comments Read!

Randolph (us227381) | 29 comments Does anyone else have trouble following what's going on in Campbell novels? Maybe I'm just stupid, quite possible, but I had to fill in a lot of spaces in the first three chapters.

message 8: by Jordan (last edited Sep 01, 2013 11:45PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jordan West | 17 comments Also, Campbell's protagonists are commonly presented as being overwhelmed by their problems, whether these are everyday or supernatural in nature; oftentimes, these characters are undergoing periods of transition or tumult; a new situation, job or home, a second chance after previous failure; or are just generally anxious and neurotic - this sense of disorientation is something captured perfectly by Campbell's elliptical style (and explains, as someone with a lifelong anxiety disorder, perhaps why I find it so easy to relate to Ramsey's writing).

Randolph (us227381) | 29 comments Thanks everyone. Great insights. I feel a little bit better if not very well read.

Randolph (us227381) | 29 comments Not grooving with this until the (view spoiler).

Randolph (us227381) | 29 comments Still not getting an eerie feel out of this thing. Not sure why, enough weird things are going on.

message 12: by Karl Hexean (new)

Karl Hexean Sumner | 8 comments Mike wrote: "Totally agree 100% Jordan...I think that anyone who really wants to be able to tap into Campbell's mindset (and the mindset of his characters) would be VERY well served by reading his introduction ..."
Spot on.That's a haunting little essay.

Randolph (us227381) | 29 comments Karl Hexean wrote: "Mike wrote: "Totally agree 100% Jordan...I think that anyone who really wants to be able to tap into Campbell's mindset (and the mindset of his characters) would be VERY well served by reading his ..."

I bought The Face That Must Die just so I can read it.

Randolph (us227381) | 29 comments (view spoiler)

message 15: by Karl Hexean (new)

Karl Hexean Sumner | 8 comments Randolph wrote: "Karl Hexean wrote: "Mike wrote: "Totally agree 100% Jordan...I think that anyone who really wants to be able to tap into Campbell's mindset (and the mindset of his characters) would be VERY well se..."

Awesome. It's a good one. :)

message 16: by Neil (new) - rated it 3 stars

Neil B (neil77) I'm about half way through and think it's so so. Agree with Randolph that it's quite sparse on the weirdness in the first half, although the few times it has kicked off have been good. The prose seems slightly bland for my tastes.

I got the new Laird Barron book through and for now have switched to that, will come back to this later.

Randolph (us227381) | 29 comments It gets better. I liked it quite a lot by the end. I went back and read Ramsey's essay on his childhood and it certainly helped me to "get" Ramsey better. The writing is pretty good, his prose is marvelous.

One thing that doesn't work very well for me is trees and forests being scary or latently eerie. I spent a fair amount of time in the woods, once camped all the way around lake Superior and the Black Hills of South Dakota, and forests just don't seem very threatening to me.

message 18: by Karl Hexean (new)

Karl Hexean Sumner | 8 comments Jodi wrote: "Randolph wrote: "One thing that doesn't work very well for me is trees and forests being scary or latently eerie. I spent a fair amount of time in the woods, once camped all the way around lake Sup..."

Yes,or suck you into it. I have far more creepy moments from time in the woods then from any time in the city.

Randolph (us227381) | 29 comments Jodi wrote: "Randolph wrote: "One thing that doesn't work very well for me is trees and forests being scary or latently eerie. I spent a fair amount of time in the woods, once camped all the way around lake Sup..."

Groovy we have some discussion going. I used to live in Texas and I do remember the very real fear of snake bite when I used to run cross-country through range land or camped. I figured I would just die before somebody found me.

I have to say the second half of the novel started to give me some anxiety but it had more to do with the various characters being drawn to the Lovecraftian setting elements more than the wilderness per se. I have a latent fear of mines and caves etc. so there is no way I was going down in that hole.

message 20: by Neil (last edited Sep 16, 2013 10:46AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Neil B (neil77) Randolph wrote: "I have a latent fear of mines and caves etc. so there is no way I was going down in that hole."

I read that chapter last night. I'm not normally claustrophobic, but I certainly was then. Beginning to really enjoy this.

message 21: by Karl Hexean (new)

Karl Hexean Sumner | 8 comments Mike wrote: "This idea of the natural world being itself horrific or malevolent is really something fascinating. I'm immediately thinking of the film Antichrist which was released a year or two ago...."

Haven't yet seen the film, but I *do* most certainly know what you mean. Some of my own experiences in Vermont (a cemetery deep in woods so thick and disorienting-for example-that my ind was tricked enough on returning to find myself on the opposite end of where I had entered the previous day)still disturb me. When it comes to the woods in art, I often think of The Black Lodge from Twin Peaks.

I have seen weird things in the woods; born of there and sometimes brought.

message 22: by Karl Hexean (last edited Sep 16, 2013 07:08PM) (new)

Karl Hexean Sumner | 8 comments Ha. The above looks a bit more "dramatic" than it sounded in my head.;)-My post, I mean.

message 23: by Karl Hexean (new)

Karl Hexean Sumner | 8 comments Awesome. I hope that you some day write them down- even if a bit "disguised".

Teddy G (teddy-g) | 51 comments I agree. If someone feels secure in a forest then he wouldn't find the first half of this book eerie. I love forests but am also afraid of them, but I also love being afraid, so I thought the book was great.
I liked the mother, who was making videos.

Off the top of my head, my favorite forest horror story is Aickman's Into the Wood, I like how the forest there is just a forest, but also a part of something bigger.

message 25: by Karl Hexean (new)

Karl Hexean Sumner | 8 comments I have to read that.

message 26: by Karl Hexean (new)

Karl Hexean Sumner | 8 comments Maryann wrote: "Karl Hexean wrote: "Mike wrote: "Totally agree 100% Jordan...I think that anyone who really wants to be able to tap into Campbell's mindset (and the mindset of his characters) would be VERY well se..."

Yes, it's interesting when a writer steps forward to speak of the work and it's connection (or lack therof) to life.
Glad that you liked it.

message 27: by Sean (new) - rated it 1 star

Sean (capthowdy) Sorry it took me so long and I fell so far behind in the group read. I FINALLY finished this sucker.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Randolph (us227381) | 29 comments Sean wrote: "Sorry it took me so long and I fell so far behind in the group read. I FINALLY finished this sucker.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show..."

No problem. It's supposed to be a monthly read so you really aren't behind.