The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike, #1)
This topic is about The Cuckoo's Calling
ARCHIVE - BOTM discussions > The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kristie | 5197 comments Hi everyone! This is the discussion thread for one of our September BOMs, The Cuckoo's Calling.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I read this recently and I am really looking forward to seeing what other people think of it. I really enjoyed it and thought it was very much up to my Rowling-standard.

Katie | 31 comments Just got it yesterday and haven't started it yet but looking forward to reading it - glad to hear Becky enjoyed it.

Mehreen Becker (mehreenbecker) Hey guys! I just finished the book and I'm excited to read what you guys think of it. I have to say, I did enjoy it quite a bit. "Robert" or Rowling managed to keep it quite suspenseful till the very end.

Patricia Hargraves | 94 comments I recently read this and thought is was a decently good mystery. I really wanted to like the MC more and understand his motivation for staying so long in his relationship. What I did find interesting is the underlying racial tension.

Laura | 62 comments Read this last month and really enjoyed it! The plot itself was pretty standard, but it was well-planned and every little detail paid off in the end. I liked both Strike and Robin and look forward to reading more of their adventures!

Knowing it was Rowling, I could definitely "hear" her in the writing. It's definitely different from HP, but still felt like her. Having read this and HP, I'm more interested in reading the Casual Vacancy, though that seems to be her most divisive book!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I think that it probably did (the average rating that is) because suddenly a lot more people knew about this book and were reading it (myself included) and I assume a lot of people didn't like it, as is always with Rowling's books, particularly her adult fiction.

message 8: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kristie | 5197 comments Laura wrote: "Read this last month and really enjoyed it! The plot itself was pretty standard, but it was well-planned and every little detail paid off in the end. I liked both Strike and Robin and look forwar..."

I haven't read this book yet (still waiting on the library), so I can't compare it to The Casual Vacancy. I know a lot of people didn't like The Casual Vacancy because it was so dark. It definitely showed the negative sides of people. The characters could be greedy and selfish and definitely out for themselves. There was child abuse, neglect, drug addiction, politics (always messy), and generally the worst part of people out in the open for everyone to criticize. With that said, I still really enjoyed the book. If you like J.K.'s writing and you're ok with seeing people's inner thoughts whether good or bad, then you should check it out.

Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition I am currently reading this book and am enjoying it because I love mysteries and crime drama, however I kind of expected more from JK Rowling. (I read and LOVED her Harry Potter books) This book is so typical of a standard crime drama and I think I already have it figured out who the killer is. I hope that maybe there will be an unexpected twist or something, but right now, I'm a little disappointed. With so many crime dramas out there, why did she feel the need to write another one without any special tweaking of her own?

Michael (lovechild) | 280 comments I was wondering what my next book was going to be now I know. This will put me on book 54 of 54 of the years and I hoping for a good mystery.

Justin Longino (justinlongino) | 17 comments I thought I had the killer figured out a couple of times during my reading The Cuckoos Calling. there is a twist at the end. I will say this and I hope its not considered a spoiler, I do wish the twist was much more than it is.....

Amanda Zemko | 28 comments Finished it this morning after getting called off work. To be honest, I've only read the first Harry Potter, and I really enjoyed The Casual Vacancy. I don't just books by the author, I've only recently started paying attention to particular authors. I just read books that I like.

Anywhoo.... I really enjoyed this book. I devoured it in a matter of days! There were times when it was a bit wordy, but other times that I really appreciated the wordiness of it. I loved the characters! Cormoran and Robin... man. I have a nasty habit of shipping characters, and then hating it when they get together. I absolutely loved that they dont! And Cormoran... Just couldn't get enough. Loved that he was flawed. Loved that he drank himself pissed when Charlotte called. Loved that he slept with the supermodel, because, why not? Loved that he actually knows his shit. He's not some hack who thought it would be fun to be a private detective, he actually know what he's doing!

Now, you may be saying that it was boring and predictable. For me (who doesn't read a ton of mystery/detective novels) this was a great read. Kept me guessing for quite a long time. I very much recommend this, no matter who wrote it and how you feel about the "leak".

One more thing...thank goodness for e-books from the library! I got this so much sooner than I though I ever would!

message 13: by Katie (new)

Katie (paige_turner_) | 27 comments Amanda wrote: "Finished it this morning after getting called off work. To be honest, I've only read the first Harry Potter, and I really enjoyed The Casual Vacancy. I don't just books by the author, I've only rec..."

Ah but how do ou know you like the book before you read it? Are you by any chance, judging a book by its cover? Hmmmm...? :D

Amanda Zemko | 28 comments No Katie, I finished The Cuckoos Calling. I was trying to say that I'm not a die hard Potter fan who's going to hate on JKR for writing something that's not Harry Potter or anything like it. I'm enjoying her adult books for what they are, not who she is :-)

Savannah (skyswriting) I almost picked this up the other day, I am still so sorry for her that her penname was leaked. But, at least we know now where to get our fill on J.K.s writing. =)

I will join this thread again as soon as I get my copy! ;)

Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition Well, my opinion changed after I finished reading the book. I don't care what anyone says, J K Rowling is a good writer! I came to love her her two main characters and thought the ending was great.

Ashley P (acanuckreader) I was really unsure about this book at first to be honest, and I found it hard to get into after a little while. But I ended up falling in love with the so flawed Strike, and eating this book up. So much so that I decided to give it another try one day and finished it two days later.

The detail is very good, and I really just enjoyed reading JK Rowling again, in a more grown up setting.

Michael (lovechild) | 280 comments I can say that this book landed right where I thought it would. It did not blow me away but I did enjoy it. I may follow the series as it progress.

Ashley P (acanuckreader) twelvejan wrote: "Ashley wrote: "I was really unsure about this book at first to be honest, and I found it hard to get into after a little while. But I ended up falling in love with the so flawed Strike, and eating ..."

I would advise you to stick with it. I felt like it developed more fully the more I got into it, and was very interested in the idea of a sequel. Although I don't know if there actually will be.

message 20: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kristie | 5197 comments Ashley wrote: "I would advise you to stick with it. I felt like it developed more fully the more I got into it, and was very interested in the idea of a sequel. Although I don't know if there actually will be."

They have a sequel planned. It's meant to be a series based on Cormoran Strike. The expected publication date is sometime in 2014.

I still haven't read this one. I'm waiting on the library. I've had a hold on it since the end of July.

message 21: by KyleB (new) - added it

KyleB | 5 comments I thought this to be a decent mystery. I found it really hard to get into. I guess I have a small attention span... You have got to hook me at the beginning.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm so glad The Cuckoos Calling will be a series, I thought it was really good. It could be a little hard to get into at times, but when it picked up, it picked up.

message 23: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Wood | 7 comments I just finished Cuckoos Calling last night. I have to agree with some others that have posted it def took me awhile to get into this book. I felt it started out slow and it was awhile before I started to care about the story and the characters. As it progressed I did start to enjoy it and I can really see how a series can be made from Robin and Strike they are a great team.

What is with J.K. Rowling and big hairy guy characters???

Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition I know! I kept thinking of Hagrid whenever I read a description of Strike.

Laura | 62 comments Terry wrote: "I know! I kept thinking of Hagrid whenever I read a description of Strike."

Hah, I didn't think of that at the time, but I can see it now! To be fair, I think the resemblance stops at the physical though and Strike isn't nearly as flighty as Hagrid.

Anupama C K(b0rn_2_read)  (b0rn_2_read) | 15 comments Loved it . Was a great book

message 27: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kristie | 5197 comments I'm just getting around to this one. I had to wait on the library.

Katie.g | 129 comments I'm halfway through and am enjoying it but other books keep taking over. So I've banned myself from starting anything new for a while. I'd have thought a JKR book would have held me more captivated than this.

message 29: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kristie | 5197 comments I forgot to update that I finished this one. I thought it was pretty good, but not great. It wasn't one of my favorites this year, but I liked it well enough to stay interested. Probably would have given it 3.5 stars, if half stars were allowed. I did really like the characters of Strike and Robin. I think JKR is excellent at character building.

Katie.g | 129 comments Kristie wrote: "I forgot to update that I finished this one. I thought it was pretty good, but not great. It wasn't one of my favorites this year, but I liked it well enough to stay interested. Probably would have..."

Yes she is. She makes the characters flawed but in a very believable way. I love Strike. Only got about 1/4 of the book left to go. Have a fairly good idea of who it could be unless JK is just stringing me along!

Katie.g | 129 comments Finished it now and it was fantastic. I thought I knew who the killer was but I was wrong. I like being surprised.

Katie.g | 129 comments Finished it now and it was fantastic. I thought I knew who the killer was but I was wrong. I like being surprised.