Epic Reads Book Club discussion

Something Strange and Deadly > Do you think that’s part of human nature? To push on and ignore the danger at our door?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Epic Reads (new)

Epic Reads (epicreads) | 54 comments Mod
Magic and ghostly elements frequent the Something Strange and Deadly series. Even though corpses do awaken from time to time and hauntings are hardly that uncommon, the people of Philadelphia seem determined to pretend the Dead are not a growing threat.

Do you think that’s part of human nature? To push on and ignore the danger at our door? Or do you think Philadelphia’s ignorance—or for that matter, any ignorance/false sense of safety in modern days as well—can be pinned on politicians? Can you think of any examples where something similar happened, but rather than the Dead, it was a natural disaster/growing crime rate/etc.?

The Observant Girl (theobservantgirl) My answer can be found below, I don't feel like writing it again, haha.

http://theobservantgirlbookreviews.bl...

message 3: by Ellie (new)

Ellie M (byelliem) | 2 comments As the saying goes, Ignorance is Bliss. We use ignorance all the time- in the morning, when I walk by five homeless people without so much as a glance. When there is a war going on, when a natural disaster happens, and especially with politics.
I feel like ignorance is a natural defense to something we feel powerless to overcome or do something about.
Yeah, I could give that homeless guy a dollar. But that won't do anything in the long run.

message 4: by Cristina (new)

Cristina (outrotears) | 2 comments I think it is. Despite of fearing the risks, there's always a curiosity that creeps out our brains. We always itch to know the other side of door.

message 5: by Susan (new)

Susan (stdennard) | 11 comments Christine wrote: "I think it is. Despite of fearing the risks, there's always a curiosity that creeps out our brains. We always itch to know the other side of door."

So true! Like the person in a horror movie who ALWAYS goes to see what made the sound in the kitchen, right? :)

message 6: by Susan (new)

Susan (stdennard) | 11 comments Ellie wrote: "As the saying goes, Ignorance is Bliss. We use ignorance all the time- in the morning, when I walk by five homeless people without so much as a glance. When there is a war going on, when a natural ..."

Very good points, Ellie. I think you've hit something really true here.