Epic Reads Book Club discussion

Something Strange and Deadly > What do you think attracts Daniel to Eleanor and vice versa?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Epic Reads (new)

Epic Reads (epicreads) | 54 comments Mod
Eleanor finds herself more and more intrigued by (perhaps even attracted to) Daniel Sheridan, the inventor of the Spirit-Hunters. What is it about him that appeals to her? And vice versa, what do you think attracts Daniel to Eleanor? Then there’s Clarence Wilcox, the seemingly perfect eligible bachelor. Why do you think Eleanor doesn’t like Clarence?

The Observant Girl (theobservantgirl) I didn't have a chance to post my answer on my blog (which I'll hopefully get to shortly) so I'll be happy to share my thoughts here.

First of all, Daniel and Eleanor are attracted to each other because they are different, strong, and bold in some way shape or form.

I believe Eleanor is attracted to Daniel because 1) he's an inventor, who invents inventions, how awesome is that! 2) he carries himself differently; he's different than typical men for that time period who isn't afraid to say what he wants to say and doesn't follow the rules of society and 3) he's a Spirit-Hunter who's willing to save the residents of Philadelphia from the Dead even though himself and his team aren't getting anything in return.

Likewise, Daniel is attracted to Eleanor because she's curious, stubborn, doesn't do as told and I believe Daniel finds that intriguing. Eleanor's also smart and determined to find her brother and having all these qualities causes Daniel to find Eleanor attractive.

Finally, I believe Eleanor doesn't like Clarence because he lacks adventure. He's an average wealthy bachelor who doesn't offer any sense of excitement like Daniel. Clarence also behaves erratically which I believe makes him less likable in Eleanor's eyes. To put it short, he's not as mysterious as Daniel.

message 3: by Susan (new)

Susan (stdennard) | 11 comments Love your answer!!

message 4: by Ellie (new)

Ellie M (byelliem) | 2 comments I think Eleanor is attracted to Daniel because he represents something she wasn't allowed to be. Adventurous.

She's lived her life stuck in a society that makes her feel claustrophobic. Daniel is like a breath of fresh air. He looks at her like a woman- independent, strong willed and intelligent- while Clarence looks at her like a lady. While Clarence would grow to see more to her than that, I don't think he'd appreciate it as much.

I think if Daniel never came into the picture, Eleanor and Clarence would have hit it off, gotten married and Eleanor would have been bored out of her mind. Clarence would get her as many books as she could fit into a large library, but reading about adventure isn't like being a part if it.

As for Daniel liking Eleanor, I think he finds her different. She's not the prim and proper type he's been shown- the type of girl that would stand on a chair if a mouse scurried by, she'd be the one smacking it out of the house with a broom.

message 5: by Susan (new)

Susan (stdennard) | 11 comments Ellie wrote: "I think Eleanor is attracted to Daniel because he represents something she wasn't allowed to be. Adventurous.

She's lived her life stuck in a society that makes her feel claustrophobic. Daniel is..."

Yes!! I LOVE your ideas for Eleanor & Clarence's future. I never thought about that before, but you're SO RIGHT, Ellie!!