Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Author Resource Round Table > Writing tips and advice

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 848 comments As part of the Indie Block Event we were asked to write a post about good writing advice and tips. There is a lot of information out there on the interweb so I added some more:)
http://libraryoferana.wordpress.com/2...

message 2: by Regina (last edited Aug 26, 2013 07:57AM) (new)

Regina Shelley (reginas) | 135 comments Use your voice. Don't be afraid to write the way you talk. If you wash all the "voice" out of your writing, it comes off as stiff and boring.

And don't screw around on the internet when you're supposed to be writing, like I'm doing right now.

I'm going. See you later.

message 3: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 848 comments Hahaha yes that is GOOD advice:)

message 4: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Preedy | 7 comments Write something every day - even if you've had a stressful day at work and are nowhere near the right frame of mind to find your characters, sit down and write something - even if it's just a sentence or two.

Often, the mere act of writing something will harness inspiration and some of your most 'stand out' pieces of writing can come from that.

Me personally, I set a goal of 500 words per day. Sometimes that takes me twenty minutes, other times it takes me over an hour. I don't treat myself to my favourite TV programme or a session of some video gaming until I've done my daily 500 words quota.

Also, before you sit down each day and start writing, read over what you wrote the day before. Don't just read it in your mind but read it out loud. That way, you'll easily pick up on sentences that are awkward or don't flow well, whereas reading them in your mind might well not alert you to the issues.

message 5: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 848 comments Oh and ideas from 4am... well they aren't so good.

message 6: by Peggy (last edited Aug 26, 2013 09:36AM) (new)

Peggy Holloway | 393 comments Thanks, Regina. Finally, someone who agrees with me. Some of the books I have read have been edited so harshly that the flavor is edited right out of the book. When I finished my fist book, I got an editor to edit it. The book is called Blood on White Wicker. It is about a fifteen year old run-away. It's written in the first person. The teenager is from the backwoods of Georgia.

When I got my manuscript back from the editor, I didn't recognize it. She had my little teenage hick talking like an adult from Ohio, which is where the editor is from. I fired the editor and wrote it the way I wanted. I live self-publishing.

message 7: by Regina (new)

Regina Shelley (reginas) | 135 comments Oh, yeah, that's bad. An editor ought to recognize speech patterns in characters. Or narrators, if that's how a book is written. That's insane.

A lot of characters use poor grammar because that's the way realistic characters talk. An editor that doesn't get that concept ought not be editing fiction.

message 8: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 848 comments Yes, dialogue is a different beast altogether. Aside from the fact I can't afford an editor I am not sure I would be happy with them telling me to cut this and that.
I think we have all read passionless books. My own book has a lot of sex scenes and a couple of people have asked why - because they have a very intense relationship, because they are passionate. I COULD take out the sex but I think it would diminish the characters and the book.

message 9: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 848 comments Here is the last post from the Indie Block Party event - this one about social media and networking. http://libraryoferana.wordpress.com/2...