Paranormal Romance and Urban Fantasy Addicts discussion

Archive Discussion > Go on tell me what you all want then!!

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by GinBee, Founder & Mod (last edited Aug 26, 2013 07:20AM) (new)

GinBee (jennymbee) | 4468 comments Mod
Okay so what do you all want then? I mean in relation to the group! (if you want to discuss other stuff head on down to the chat section!)

message 2: by PepperP0t (new)

PepperP0t challenges and games are where I spend the most time. I'd like varieties and increases of each. I seldom (if ever) participate in group/monthly reads

message 3: by Amanda (new)

Amanda L. (awikstrand) I particpated primarily with the monthly reads and wish that there were less series in the options. I am getting overwhelmed by series.

message 4: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) I participate in the monthly group reads and series reads (really enjoyed the discussions for Chicagoland Vampires).

Some of the other groups I'm in have a pick it for me challenge, which is a lot of fun.

message 5: by Ginnie (new)

Ginnie (journey_thru_pages) Well for the most part I don't participate in the group reads, but I do find them helpful in finding out about new series. As far as the yearly challenges and games I think we need more. I prefer being able to write out or list and adding books as we go. In one group I am in they have a series challenge and its fun I think doing something like it but changing it into a paranormal romance thing would be fun. Its very challenging and I think members will enjoy it. Maybe even a genre challenge would be cool too. I really enjoy the yearly challenges bc it gives me more time to read esp since I am a very busy person. Jenny I will send you the list with what I mean.

message 6: by Vannessa (new)

Vannessa | 175 comments I generally do the monthly challenges and some of the yearly ones, but generally don't do the group reads either because they don't fit in with the other challenges I'm doing or I have already read the book, or in the case of the YA choice, don't want to read it as I don't do much YA.

The only thing I would like is for the monthly challenges to be posted just a little bit earlier. Now I know they usually come out the first couple of days of each month, but if they came out the last few days of the previous month, I would be able to organise my reading lists a bit better, but that's just me!

Am loving the new challenge widgets though - makes me really see what I've read for each challenge, especially the yearly ones! So thanks for those.

message 7: by Glenda (new)

Glenda Reynolds (glendareynolds) I don't do group reads or monthly challenge. I have in the past participated in games such as "word association" (one word/the first word that pops in your head after someone takes a turn); chain writing a fictional story with very small paragraphs by group participants; group banner making challenge.

I don't have much time to read. I blame it on employment and my love of my TV/movie viewing, and I try to find time to write my second book.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments Ginnie wrote: "Well for the most part I don't participate in the group reads, but I do find them helpful in finding out about new series. As far as the yearly challenges and games I think we need more. I prefer b..."

Could you elaborate a bit more on the series challenge? Is it just a challenge to finish a series?

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments Vannessa wrote: "I generally do the monthly challenges and some of the yearly ones, but generally don't do the group reads either because they don't fit in with the other challenges I'm doing or I have already read..."

Thanks, I've been thinking that they need to be posted earlier for challenges.

message 10: by Randa (new)

Randa I agree with Amanda that maybe having group reads of stand alone novels once in awhile would less overwhelming.

message 11: by Johanna (new)

Johanna (jothie) I love the idea of games and challenges. I've seen a few really creative ones and liked those best. Like... read a book written in the year you were born.
Or some other fun games.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments Johanna wrote: "I love the idea of games and challenges. I've seen a few really creative ones and liked those best. Like... read a book written in the year you were born.
Or some other fun games."

Good ideas. What are some of your fave games?

message 13: by Shera (Book Whispers) (last edited Aug 27, 2013 09:41AM) (new)

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments Randa wrote: "I agree with Amanda that maybe having group reads of stand alone novels once in awhile would less overwhelming."

I've thought that too . . .

Do you many the debut/first in a series reads? Or you don't like our Group Series read alongs?

message 14: by Johanna (new)

Johanna (jothie) Hmmm... games... Well, for example, an alphabet game with a popular book. Like name characters, places, and so on in the order of the alphabet.
Or maybe even write little stories yourself. Like imagining how your favorite book characters would behave in our lives.
Or guess quotes from popular paranormal books.

Well, I don't actually have any fave games. Those were just some I could imagine for this group.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments Great ideas. I really like the quote one.

message 16: by Jen (new)

Jen (reader44ever) | 4475 comments I love the idea of reading an occasional stand-alone PNR/UF book, especially as I don't know of many. (I can't think of any off the top of my head, either.)

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments Jen wrote: "I love the idea of reading an occasional stand-alone PNR/UF book, especially as I don't know of many. (I can't think of any off the top of my head, either.)"

They're a bit more few and far between.

message 18: by Amanda (new)

Amanda L. (awikstrand) I'll do my bit for the stand alone novel idea and actually nominate something. I am usually too apprehensive because I don't know if a book qualifies or not. Plus I can't guarantee that the book is good unless I read it - which I likely have not (thus the book club).

message 19: by Jilleen (new)

Jilleen | 14 comments I love book discussions. Maybe more threads about reader's favorite books past and present in our favorite genre.

message 20: by Momreadstoomuch (new)

Momreadstoomuch | 35 comments I like the challenges and I try to read the book of the month. Overall I like the group.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments Arzella wrote: "I like the challenges and I try to read the book of the month. Overall I like the group."

That's great to hear!

message 22: by Johanna (new)

Johanna (jothie) I had another idea. Maybe there are too many books of the month. And there is only one thread for each to discuss how we liked it. But we're supposed not to spoil anything for the ones who still want to read it.

We all know how much we sometimes need to discuss a weird ending, the actions of a character or something else more in detail. So there should be more threads for less books (like pre-reading and post-reading and discussion of certain topics). As far as I can see, the current book of the month discussion aren't really deep, just some overall judgement of how we liked it or not.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments We used to do spoiler threads and none ones, but had to many going. Spoiler tags are supposed to help.

But good points Johanna.

message 24: by GinBee, Founder & Mod (new)

Johanna wrote: "I had another idea. Maybe there are too many books of the month. And there is only one thread for each to discuss how we liked it. But we're supposed not to spoil anything for the ones who still wa..."

Thanks Johanna, I totally get what you mean and I can see how it would be overwhelming - that's exactly why this thread is here to work out what changes members would appreciate to enhance their time in the group! :-)

message 25: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Basile (ahunsicker) | 274 comments Lauren wrote: Some of the other groups I'm in have a pick it for me challenge, which is a lo..."

I like this idea. :)

message 26: by Jen (new)

Jen (reader44ever) | 4475 comments Ashley wrote: "Lauren wrote: Some of the other groups I'm in have a pick it for me challenge, which is a lo..."

I like this idea. :)"

I love this idea, too. One of my other groups has such a challenge (they call it the Recommends Challenge) and the moderators assign us into groups and give us two partners: one to pick books for us, one for us to pick books for (each participant can tell their partner what shelf/shelves to choose from). I love this challenge, as I always have so many books checked out from the library that it's hard to decide what to read next. And due to my disabilities, I find the options to be often overwhelming. Having someone else pick the books that I'll read is super helpful. :)

message 27: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) Jen wrote: "I love this idea, too. One of my other groups has such a challenge (they call it the Recommends Challenge) and the moderators assign us into groups and give us two partners..."

Exactly! The recommends challenge, pick it for me and POTS challenges all help me decide what to read next.

message 28: by Jen (new)

Jen (reader44ever) | 4475 comments Lauren wrote: "Exactly! The recommends challenge, pick it for me and POTS challenges all help me decide what to read next."

POTS? What does this stand for? I have a feeling I'll feel silly that I didn't know it, but I'm drawing a blank and so must ask. *blush*

message 29: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) Sorry! it's a recommends challenge in the pick a shelf group called "pick of the shelf" aka "POTS" for short :0)

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments Those all sound great!

message 31: by Jen (new)

Jen (reader44ever) | 4475 comments Lauren wrote: "Sorry! it's a recommends challenge in the pick a shelf group called "pick of the shelf" aka "POTS" for short :0)"

Ah, I see...and I wouldn't have guessed that, since I didn't know there was such a group. lol! Thanks for the explanation, though. :)

message 32: by GinBee, Founder & Mod (new)

Lauren wrote: "Jen wrote: "I love this idea, too. One of my other groups has such a challenge (they call it the Recommends Challenge) and the moderators assign us into groups and give us two partners..."

Exactly..."

Love those kinds of challenges! We had it here a couple of years ago and it was really popular - not sure why we stopped.....

message 33: by Jen (new)

Jen (reader44ever) | 4475 comments Jenny B wrote: "Love those kinds of challenges! We had it here a couple of years ago and it was really popular - not sure why we stopped..... "

Probably just one of those unfortunately all-to-naturally-occuring fizzle-and-fades. These happen to me all the time. It's a sad state of affairs.

But if a recommend-for-me challenge of some sort could be resurrected, I'd promise to participate (at least initially; I'd like to think my own curse of fizzling-and-fading wouldn't come into effect, but that's probably going to turn out to be a pipe dream at some point).

It is a fact, though, that I get overwhelmed by my many reading choices, and having someone else decide what available book I will read would sure take a load off! I don't imagine this will ever change, since I always have too many books to read. :)

message 34: by Diana (new)

Diana (diamond123didi) | 2 comments have a group recommendations, im needs books to read next!!!

message 35: by Caressa (new)

Caressa Brandenburg | 3 comments I do the challenges, I like seeing how many books I read in a month.
I never do the group reads because I have my own list of books I am reading.
I do like hearing about new books and authors and series and reading discussions about them.
I also like voting on books and series and talking about what I liked in them.
It would also be great to get news about books being released every Tuesday. Usually I am up on when my fave authors new books come out but sometimes they slip by. So a cool announcement every Tuesday would be nice then if people read one they can comment on what they thought of it.

message 36: by Nyssa (new)

Nyssa | 4 comments I like the following ideas:

1. Monthly Group Reads matching up with Challenges
2. Stand Alone Monthly Group Reads
3. Monthly Group reads becoming Series Group Reads.

message 37: by Dee (new)

Dee (jadzia_dax) | 677 comments I participated in the yearly challenge for the first time last, despite not completing them all I was looking forward to participating this year. I've noticed it has not been put on does this mean it won't be happening this year.

message 38: by Krysta (new)

Krysta (krystafig) | 4089 comments I LOVE challenges. I can never decide which book to read next, so the challenges help me pick.
I've also found a lot of new titles because of challenges.

I don't usually take part in the monthly group reads, because my TBR is too big already, but sometimes I at least add them to my list!

message 39: by Sheryl (new)

Sheryl (bellesapepper37) | 7 comments I like the monthly reads and agree to lessen the number of suggested books. Three is a nice number. I'm not a fast reader, so I've not done any quizes. Sometimes I feel the pace is too fast and I found myself not enjoying participation. Also, the cost of the sheer number of books recommended to read became too much. I just started to add them to my to read shelf. Sad I wouldn't be able to be in on discussing the books. Thanks for this thread.