Goodreads Choice Awards Book Club discussion

Archive > Personal Reflection: Periodically re-read or re-watch a book or movie?

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bekka (new)

Bekka Every six or eight years, I re-watch a specific movie based on a book. I re-watch the movie to see how my perspective on it changes as I age. It's a personal assessment of how my own perspective on life changes.

I only re-watch the movie when I'm in the mood for this kind of personal assessment.

Does anyone else do this same thing - either with a specific book or movie? If yes, which book or movie? What are you learning about the book/movie, yourself, and/or life in general?

ABOUT MY MOVIE/BOOK:
I saw the TV mini-series "The Thorn Birds" when it came out on TV thirty years ago. I then read the book. I re-watch it periodically to see how my perspective changes on both Catholicism and on the Thorn Bird characters. When the Thorn Birds first came out on TV, I liked Richard Chamberlain's character. Now, thirty years later, I see his character as self-centered and self-absorbed.

message 2: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

Savanes | 1997 comments Mod
I have found myself changing perspective on a movie / book as time goes but I never do the exercise on purpose.

message 3: by Rida (last edited Aug 26, 2013 08:37AM) (new)

Rida Sajid | 195 comments I watch some movies over and over again after a suitable interval, but not to assess myself I just use them as a time machine(you know to feel myself in the environment back then). As far as books are concerned, I've started book reading a year ago so I dont feel right now that enough time has passed for me to re-read them again but may be if I live upto 30 years, I'll re-read them to travel back to past(which is currently my present)

message 4: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 5821 comments Mod
I tend to not reread books. I used to when I was little and the books were a lot shorter! I find that I always have more books that I want to read than time to spend reading.

I do, however, rewatch movies occasionally. I think it's just a smaller time commitment, so I can do that.

message 5: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 7 comments I re-read favorites and re-watch favorites because it is comforting to revisit faves. Never really got to the point where I change perspectives as of yet anyway

message 6: by Bekka (new)

Bekka Kristie wrote: "I tend to not reread books. I used to when I was little and the books were a lot shorter! I find that I always have more books that I want to read than time to spend reading.

I do, however, rewat..."

I keep good books - with dog ears on pages I like. Then, I can go back and peruse the sections I liked. I also like to keep good books I've read so that my friends can see what kinds of books and topics interest me.

message 7: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 5821 comments Mod
Bekka wrote: "I keep good books - with dog ears on pages I like. Then, I can go back and peruse the sections I liked. I also like to keep good books I've read so that my friends can see what kinds of books and topics interest me. "

I keep a lot of books! I just don't reread very often. I also lend out books that I liked, but I tend not to get them back very often.

It's funny how your perspective changes as you get older and society changes. I see that a lot too.

message 8: by Connie (new)

Connie Wisniewski | 110 comments Bekka wrote: "Every six or eight years, I re-watch a specific movie based on a book. I re-watch the movie to see how my perspective on it changes as I age. It's a personal assessment of how my own perspective on..."
Hi, I am Connie. I read the Thornbirds an saw the movie. I absolutely loved it. The movie was good, but the book was better. I don't reread books because there are so many I want to read. I do share, and really don't expect to receive them back, but want them shared.

message 9: by Connie (new)

Connie Wisniewski | 110 comments Connie wrote: "Bekka wrote: "Every six or eight years, I re-watch a specific movie based on a book. I re-watch the movie to see how my perspective on it changes as I age. It's a personal assessment of how my own ..."

I'm sorry. Thorn Bird.

message 10: by Connie (new)

Connie Wisniewski | 110 comments Thorn Birds.

message 11: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4021 comments Mod
LOL Connie, you got there in the end :)
(BTW, you can actually edit your own posts (link at the bottom right of your comment)

I've seen a lot of talk about Thorn Birds in this group over the past couple of months. I read it years ago and I am actually tempted to read again.

If there was a repeat of the TV series I would definitely watch it again.

message 12: by Kelli (new)

Kelli (dolphinie13) | 16 comments I love to reread my favorites. I also like to rewatch my favorite movies. There are some movies that I like to watch over and again just to capture the laughter or magic of the flick (lots of Disney films on that list). There are other movies that I watch for specific feelings of nostalgia (Newsies, the Goonies, Back to the Future). It's very similar for books.

I do have one book that I reread and use to take a personal assessment of my life and outlook. It's The Giver by Lois Lowry. I've been reading it for the past 18 years. I always have, and I think always will love this book. My thoughts on the end of the book usually vary with my prevailing mood, and is a good indicator of how much hope I currently have in my life. I think the story is timeless and a good reminder that absolute power absolutely corrupts.

message 13: by Bekka (new)

Bekka Lynn wrote: "LOL Connie, you got there in the end :)
(BTW, you can actually edit your own posts (link at the bottom right of your comment)

I've seen a lot of talk about Thorn Birds in this group over the past ..."

I've seen it in the movie section at several libraries. You might check to see if your local library has it.

message 14: by Bekka (new)

Bekka Lynn wrote: "LOL Connie, you got there in the end :)

I've seen a lot of talk about Thorn Birds in this group over the past ..."

It's great when one finds a book worth re-reading!

message 15: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (miss_charlie_d) | 32 comments I usually re-read books that are quick and easy whenever I am procrastinating or have a little bit of time and don't want to start something new. I have never intentionally re-read a book to see how my opinions have changed, although I really like that idea. I like to re-read a book right before the movie comes out or before I re-watch the movie (I plan on doing that with the entire Harry Potter series this year).
Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life is my first book I plan on re-reading, hopefully every spring.

Movies are a different story. I am the type of person who will re-watch movies A LOT. I once watched The Day After Tomorrow 3 times in one saturday. I watched Avatar like 3 times a week for the entire month after it was released on dvd.

I have yet to read Thorn Birds or The Giver - just bumped them up on my TBR pile!

message 16: by Scott (new)

Scott | 77 comments There's too much out there to keep rereading the same books but I have read a few twice...To Kill a Mockingbird...A Seperate Peace...The Pearl and a few others that repeated from high school to college back then. I have watched more movies more than once...either to catch something I missed or because there's nothing else on.

message 17: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (melabee) | 9 comments I don't re-read a book unless it's to read and discuss with a book group. I do re-watch movies especially classic movies I collect on DVD.

message 18: by Deb (new)

Deb Bartram | 115 comments Melanie wrote: "I don't re-read a book unless it's to read and discuss with a book group. I do re-watch movies especially classic movies I collect on DVD."

I'm exactly the same way Melanie!

message 19: by Victor (new)

Victor Muthoka (hundredpercent) I re-read a book if it catches my eye again, in a different way. I love seeing the new perspective.

message 20: by Paula (new)

Paula | 32 comments Of course I love watching my Christmas favorites over and over! I also re-watch some other good ones: Under the Tuscan Sun; Hope Floats; The Mirror has Two Faces; and others according to my mood. Oh yes, can't forget Shrek and A Bugs Life

message 21: by Ellana (new)

Ellana Chughtai | 13 comments I find that I like to read or watch the same movie or book once a year and the following year I may read it again, but I don't really reflect on and I just see the way it is.

message 22: by Connie (new)

Connie Wisniewski | 110 comments I would much rather read a book than watch the movie. The book make the movie a waste of time and the movies always stink.

message 23: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 0 comments Some guilty pleasures of movies: Clueless, Selena, Starship Troopers. For some reason, if they're aired, I can't help but tune in.