YAholics Anonymous! discussion

Archives > Heroine Backstory - which do you prefer? Need help deciding

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 6 comments Hey everyone, I'm writing a YA book - my first try- and was wondering what you think is a better background for my heroine. A girl coming from a large family (mainly all brothers) and we see her start to make her own decisions and go against what the family believe?OR the girl has a twin who died and her father is pressuring her to be the best - in school, training egg - and she feels like she can't rely on anyone until eventually she starts to question the father?

message 2: by Monika (new)

Monika I like the second more. Maybe have more to do with the twin too.

message 3: by Carmen ❾¾ (new)

Carmen ❾¾ (happyendinglover) I like the second too

Julia Griffis - The Romance Bibliophile (theromancebibliophile) I like the first one better because I hate when a hero/heroine has a pressuring parent(s). However, both are very good ideas, and I'm sure whichever one you choose will work out quite well:)

message 5: by Monika (new)

Monika Tell me when you finish, I'll want to read it!

message 6: by Miriam (new)

Miriam (miriammathew) I prefer the second idea but the first one is quite interesting. I would love to see what you can with this.

message 7: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 6 comments Thanks for comments really helpful

message 8: by A.C. (new)

A.C. Kavich (ackavich) Cathy wrote: "Hey everyone, I'm writing a YA book - my first try- and was wondering what you think is a better background for my heroine. A girl coming from a large family (mainly all brothers) and we see her st..."

I think I would stay away from the twin angle. It's been done badly so many times that even if you execute well, many editors will have a knee jerk negative reaction as soon as they see the word!

message 9: by J S (new)

J S Williams | 7 comments I agree with AC, above - I love the twin angle but it has been done to death! Let us know when it's done Cathy, i'd love to read it :)

message 10: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 6 comments thanks for the help. decided not to go with the twin thing and changed the outline of the backstory...Will tell you when it's done:)

message 11: by J S (new)

J S Williams | 7 comments Great, best of luck!