Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Darkest Dawn
This topic is about Darkest Dawn
Policies & Practices > Was this vandalized?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Abigail (new)

Abigail (handmaiden) | 83 comments I found an unrescued book http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/98... on the shelf of the "What's The Name of That Book???" group that I tried to rescue, brilliantly rescued it as the wrong book and author (shaking head at myself), got my mistake corrected back to what it was before I messed up, and was then going to try to rescue it to the for real correct title and author. The "about" descriptor on the group's shelf for the book was a link to this thread: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/2..., meaning that it would appear that the unknown book was shelved as some anthology that contained the short story "The Hair."

Anyway, as I was looking at the Librarian Change Log for the unrescued book, I saw that there were 18 pages (!) of librarian edits. Buried on page 15 of the edits is mention of the title "The Hair" (Jan. 28, 2012 11:44 am edit), but from the earlier edits, it looks like even that wasn't correct to begin with.

So my questions are: 1) Was this book vandalized? (If not, what's up with these crazy edits?), and 2) The earliest edits seem to show that the book was something by Valerio Evangelisti, David Sala, and Jorge Zentner, so should the author at least be changed to them?

Out of my depth.

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42032 comments Mod
Jan. 28, 2012 was right before the great data purge, so any edits made then might have been by someone trying to rescue books before that and making mistakes OR by an automated process gone wrong. Actually I think it was a weird combination of both, if I had to guess. Looks like at about that time someone merged a bunch of books (probably incorrectly) together, so the log is showing edits from all those books together.

Considering that it has no reviews (just ratings and to-read shelvings) and the only description shelvings are mutually exclusive (seems unlike to both be a comic and a Mills & Boons book), finding an "original" title or author is probably impossible. I'm tempted just to delete the thing entirely.

message 3: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments rivka wrote: "(seems unlike to both be a comic and a Mills & Boons book)"

Not necessarily, and that might actually help narrow it down! Mills & Boons have a manga line.

message 4: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments The librarian is still trawling through the Unknown Book list doing a load of deletions and combines. They are deleting and combining the unknown books a hell of a lot faster than they can possibly be checking the logs and available data to see if the book is recoverable. And if it isn't recoverable then why combine them?

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42032 comments Mod
Cait wrote: "rivka wrote: "(seems unlike to both be a comic and a Mills & Boons book)"

Not necessarily, and that might actually help narrow it down! Mills & Boons have a manga line."

Ok, except that those shelves are more likely to come from what were originally two different books.

message 6: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl Bump.