quotablebookquotes discussion

Fight Club > Quotes!

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Trish, IT (new)

Trish (the-bookshelf-at-the-end) | 112 comments Mod
Quotes from the book-- feel free to add your favourites!

message 2: by Trish, IT (new)

Don't hold out on me here, Fight Club is super quotable! I'll add some that jumped out at me for chapters 1-6, add some you liked!

"You do the job you're trained to do. Pull a lever. Push a button. You don't understand any of it, and then you just die."

"Tyler and me at the edge of the roof, the gun in my mouth, I'm wondering how clean this gun is."

"This is when I'd cry because right now, your life comes down to nothing, and not even nothing, oblivion."

"If I could wake up in a different place, at a different time, could I wake up as a different person?"

"You wake up, and that's enough."

"Then you're trapped in your lovely nest, and the things you used to own, now they own you."

"The doorman leaned into my shoulder and said, 'A lot of young people don't know what they really want.'"

"'If you don't know what you want,' the doorman said, 'you end up with a lot you don't.'"

"The first rule about fight club is you don't talk about fight club."

"Maybe self improvement isn't the answer. Tyler never knew his father. Maybe self-destruction is the answer."

"My father never went to college so it was really important I go to college. After college, I called him long distance and said, now what? My dad didn't know."

message 3: by Trish, IT (new)

Chapters 7-13, Tyler is a quote mine!

"Sometimes you do something, and you get screwed. Sometimes it's the things you don't do, and you get screwed."

"Worker bees can leave
Even drones can fly away
The queen is their slave"

"Without just one nest
A bird can call the world home
Life is your career"

"Flowers bloom and die
Wind beings butterflies or snow
A stone won't notice"

"'Sticking feathers up your butt,' Tyler says, 'does not make you a chicken.'"

"'It's only after you've lost everything,' Tyler says, 'that you're free to do anything.'"

"A tiger can smile
A snake will say it loves you
Lies make us evil"

"Watching white moon face
The stars never feel anger
Blah, blah, blah, the end"

"There will be mistakes, and maybe the point is not to forget the rest of yourself if one little part might go bad."

"There are a lot of things we don't want to know about the people we love."

message 4: by Trish, IT (new)

There were some good ones in chapters 14-20, did any of you take note of the ones I did? Any you want to share?

"This is why I loved the support groups so much, if people thought you were dying, they gave you their full attention."

"If this might be the last time they saw you, they really saw you. Everything else about their checkbook balance and radio songs and messy hair went out the window. You had their full attention. People listened instead of waiting for their turn to speak. And when they spoke, they weren't telling you a story. When the two of you talked, you were building something, and afterward you were both different than before."

"Marla's philosophy of life, she told me, is that she can die at any moment. The tragedy of her life is that she doesn't."

"Nothing is static. Everything is falling apart."

"'Disaster is a natural part of my evolution,' Tyler whispered, 'toward tragedy and dissolution.'"

"I wanted to destroy everything beautiful I'd never have."

"Which is worse, hell or nothing?"

"The mechanic yells out the window, 'As long as you're in fight club, you're not how much money you've got in the bank. You're not your job. You're not your family, and you're not who you tell yourself.'"

"'What will you wish you'd done before you died?'"

"'You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everyone else, and we are all part of the same compost pile.'"

"'You have a class of young strong men and women, and they want to give their lives to something. Advertising has these people chasing cars and clothes they don't need. Generations have been working in jobs they hate, just so they can buy what they don't really need.'"

message 5: by Trish, IT (new)

Last few I got from the book-- what did you find?

"Didn't I realize that each of us is a sacred, unique snowflake of special unique specialness?"

"We are not special. We are not crap or trash, either. We just are. We just are, and what happens just happens."