Stephen King Fans discussion

Recommendations > Heading to the bookstore

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Warren (new)

Warren (warren_bookshelf) | 4 comments Hello
I am heading to the book store and looking for book recommendations. Did you just read a book that you thought was just awesome?
thanks

message 2: by Nick (new)

Nick Iuppa | 3992 comments It may be too late, but I really liked The Ocean at the End of the Lane, I'm not sure it's out in paperback yet. Check out the various reviews here, including mine. Some folks weren't as positive as I was.

message 3: by Bondama (new)

Bondama (kerensa) | 868 comments I was one of those who gave a negative review to "The Ocean..." and Neil Gaiman is just about my favorite author (not excepting Mr. King, of course)

I was disappointed, because the book was billed as an adult book, but it is clearly YA. There are, of course, wonderful Gaiman touches - it's just that it's a "lazy" book for such a good author to offer to his public.

message 4: by Bondama (new)

Bondama (kerensa) | 868 comments If, by chance, you haven't read it before, American Gods or Anansi Boys by Gaiman - these are two absolutely wonderful books, roughly in the same "universe" as each other -- I can't say enough about these two books, except that a whole new world, new way of looking at things, is just fantastic.

message 5: by Nick (new)

Nick Iuppa | 3992 comments I actually listened to the audio book of "The Ocean..." and the reading by Gaiman was amazing, I thought. That might have made me give it more credit than you did. I loved American Gods. It's on my re-read list... maybe as an audio book. Haven't read Anansi Boys. I'll add that to my list too.

message 6: by Todd (new)

Todd Glaeser | 39 comments The Graveyard Book, Gaiman's take on The Jungle Book, is one of my favorites.

message 7: by Nick (new)

Nick Iuppa | 3992 comments Since you asked. Take a look at my novel, Alicia's Ghost. It's on Amazon but only as an e-book. I'm sure you won't find it "lazy."

message 8: by Kat (new)

Kat (katsobsession) | 40 comments Warren, try A Song of Ice and Fire by George R R Martin, if you like epic fantasy. Also in that category would be The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson.

Currently re-reading the Pendergast novels by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child, wonderful suspense thriller type novels. Start with Relic if you want to give them a try^_^ Must be read in order, all 3 series.

message 9: by Bondama (new)

Bondama (kerensa) | 868 comments Nick, you didn't initially mention that you had listened to "The Ocean...". as read by Neilhimself.

Neil Gaiman is probably the best author, (who also act as reader for their books) out there whose reading style so completely suits his works that I cannot imagine anyone else' doing it. Of course you liked "Ocean..." as read by Neil. He could read the telephone book and I'd be spellbound! I must get an audio recording - now!

message 10: by Bondama (new)

Bondama (kerensa) | 868 comments Bondama wrote: "Nick, you didn't initially mention that you had listened to "The Ocean...". as read by Neil himself.

Neil Gaiman is probably the best author, (who also act as reader for their books) out there whos..."

message 11: by Bondama (new)

Bondama (kerensa) | 868 comments sorry about the above - apparently I angered the computer gods somehow...

message 12: by Nick (new)

Nick Iuppa | 3992 comments Bondama wrote: "sorry about the above - apparently I angered the computer gods somehow..."

Bondama, no need to worry about angering the computer gods. I burned an old pile of floppy discs, and they seem to be appeased now. If they're still angry, I'll burn the neighbors oversexed cat next.

message 13: by Katie (new)

Katie (katiecakers02) | 15 comments Went to the bookstore to find Joyland by SK, they didn't have it, came back with The Passage by Justin Cronin. I'm a sucker for books about end of days.

message 14: by Warren (new)

Warren (warren_bookshelf) | 4 comments Katie: I have The Passage on my tbr. Keep us update on how it is.

message 15: by Shell (new)

Shell (shellcampbell) | 341 comments I can see why people say that The Ocean is YA, and I did at first think the same when I was reading it, but I don't know that I fully agree with that after finishing it. I think Gaiman is really clever, when writing from a child's perspective he reminds us of what it was like to be a child - how we experienced the world and they way we thought about things... at least that's how it made me feel :)

message 16: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

Angie | 2547 comments Mod
Bondama wrote: "If, by chance, you haven't read it before, American Gods or Anansi Boys by Gaiman - these are two absolutely wonderful books, roughly in the same "universe" as each other -- I can't say enough abou..."

I couldn't stand American Gods. I love some Gaiman books but others I don't like. Just was boring and too symbolic for me.

message 17: by Nick (new)

Nick Iuppa | 3992 comments Michelle wrote: "I can see why people say that The Ocean is YA, and I did at first think the same when I was reading it, but I don't know that I fully agree with that after finishing it. I think Gaiman is really cl..."

I agree completely Michelle. But he is also telling the story as an adult. I think the book is really great. But I wonder what is it about the book that actually makes it adult? The limited sex? I doubt it.

message 18: by Warren (new)

Warren (warren_bookshelf) | 4 comments Can't wait for the new King book Dr. Sleep!!