Short & Sweet Treats discussion

Not by Books Alone > Craft Projects

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) Do you knit, crochet or sew. Do you do other crafts. Tell us what you're working on or post a favorite craft with instructions.

message 2: by LaLaLa Laura (last edited Aug 25, 2013 07:46PM) (new)

LaLaLa Laura  (laurabhoffman) | 4443 comments Mod
I took a Lysol wipes container recently and peeled off the label. then my son and I mod podged pictures onto it. you can mod podge anything. like doilies or pictures. we used little cut outs from a glossy book my husband had of every Sports Illustrated cover ever published.

message 3: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

and you can store things in it obviously. so its practical and cool looking

message 4: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) Sounds great but bit what does mod podged mean? is it similar to decoupage?

At the moment I plan on gluing back little china pieces to items that have broken. Not much of a craftsy type person so

message 5: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

Nancy wrote: "Sounds great but bit what does mod podged mean? is it similar to decoupage?

At the moment I plan on gluing back little china pieces to items that have broken. Not much of a craftsy type person so"

yes it's decoupage kind of thing. I think Mod Podge is the name of the product that they sell for you to do it.

message 6: by Jessica (new)

Jessica I am a graphic designer and am hoping to get a blog site started soon. It will combine said talent and book review/other ET stuff. I will keep everyone posted in the vent anyone is interested in following it. FIngers crossed, folks. :)

message 7: by LaLaLa Laura (last edited Sep 07, 2013 06:12PM) (new)

Jessica wrote: "I am a graphic designer and am hoping to get a blog site started soon. It will combine said talent and book review/other ET stuff. I will keep everyone posted in the vent anyone is interested in fo..."

good luck, Jessica! definitely keep us posted. I can one day say "I knew Jessica when..."

message 8: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Arnold (nahteeraisamanthaarnold) Jessica wrote: "I am a graphic designer and am hoping to get a blog site started soon. It will combine said talent and book review/other ET stuff. I will keep everyone posted in the vent anyone is interested in fo..."

Good luck! Be sure to let us know. I'd love to check it out when it's ready. :)

message 9: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Arnold (nahteeraisamanthaarnold) On Pinterest I have a DIY board. Here's the link if you want to check it out: http://pinterest.com/sammya8/diy/

message 10: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

I'm following you on Pinterest, Sammy! :)

message 11: by Tea✿Rose (last edited Jan 08, 2014 03:25PM) (new)

Tea✿Rose (dollygirl) | 17 comments I wish I could knit or sew! Then I'd make my own hats and scarves! Haha.
My little sis bought this rubber-bands kit from a toy store and I make bracelets out of them occasionally. My fingers feel sore and are all red afterwards, but it's really fun and the bracelets have turned out pretty cute so far! :)
I might post pics up when I have time later. :D

message 12: by Tea✿Rose (new)

Tea✿Rose (dollygirl) | 17 comments Hmm, interesting.
Thanks for the link. :)

message 13: by D (new)

D | 95 comments ME TOO!! I would love to learn how to sew and knit!!

message 14: by Tea✿Rose (last edited Jan 09, 2014 11:21AM) (new)

Tea✿Rose (dollygirl) | 17 comments Haha Deionsia!
It is quite a useful craft to know!
I think you should check out the link Alicia provided for me. :)
It's pretty simple, although long and tedious, but I think that goes for all crafts!

message 15: by D (new)

D | 95 comments Thank You!! I will check out the link that she gave you!! I hope I can knit and sew by the end of February!!

message 16: by Tea✿Rose (new)

Tea✿Rose (dollygirl) | 17 comments It's my pleasure! ♥
And I'm sure you will if you put your heart and soul into it!
I wish you luck on learning it. :)

message 17: by D (new)

D | 95 comments Thank You!! Good luck to you to!!

message 18: by Tea✿Rose (last edited Jan 09, 2014 12:57PM) (new)

Tea✿Rose (dollygirl) | 17 comments Mm-hmm. ;)
And thank you! I will be needing all the luck I can get, since working with needles and anything long and pointy is one of my weak points... xD

message 19: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Scott (goodreadscomknitknat) | 36 comments I have been knitting for over 13 years. I generally make hats, scarves, socks, felted purses, mittens and the occasional afghan or sweater. It is so relaxing. I do it while I watch television.

message 20: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

I wish I could learn to knit. what a cool talent.

message 21: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

I should give it another shot.

message 22: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Scott (goodreadscomknitknat) | 36 comments If there is a yarn store in your area, they would teach you to knit.

message 23: by ♦Ashley♦ (new)

♦Ashley♦ I have been considering learning to knit. .. Might have to wait until this class is done. Anyone need a scarf and hat for the summer? ?? lol jk

message 24: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

Ashley wrote: "I have been considering learning to knit. .. Might have to wait until this class is done. Anyone need a scarf and hat for the summer? ?? lol jk"

sure! hahaha!!

message 25: by Heather (new)

Heather | 10 comments I've dabbled in jewelry. Wire wrap, mostly, I don't have the knowledge or tools to make rings yet. Maybe if I can get a-hold to some good pictures I'll show off some of the pieces I've made.

message 26: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

I'd love to see them Heather! I would love to learn to make jewelry!

message 27: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Scott (goodreadscomknitknat) | 36 comments Recently I have been listening to audio books and knitting. with the Olympics starting this week, I'll be knitting and watching that.

message 28: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

oh how pleasant that sounds, Teresa ...

message 29: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Scott (goodreadscomknitknat) | 36 comments I just finish knitting a baby blanket and now I am off to make socks.

message 30: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

oh how sweet Teresa! did you have a baby? or someone you know!?

message 31: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Alicia wrote: "That sounds interesting. I used to knit, but haven't tried audiobooks. I wonder if the hypnotic effects of knitting would make getting into the audiobook more intense?"

I will say a bad narrator can turn it into a bad experience. I treat audiobooks like itunes: I sample the audiobook before purchasing it that way, if I don't like the voice....I can search for another version. Audible is the best! You can sample the books and they recommend stuff based on what you like. Just a little tip.

message 32: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Scott (goodreadscomknitknat) | 36 comments LaLaLa Laura wrote: "oh how sweet Teresa! did you have a baby? or someone you know!?"

Someone I know had a baby and she came early.

message 33: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Scott (goodreadscomknitknat) | 36 comments Jessica wrote: "Alicia wrote: "That sounds interesting. I used to knit, but haven't tried audiobooks. I wonder if the hypnotic effects of knitting would make getting into the audiobook more intense?"

I will say a..."

You can also get audiobooks from the library.

message 34: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Sturges (katsturges) | 5 comments I sew and collage! I've been collecting an extensive art and sewing library for years. I'm gearing up to share my quilts on Etsy.

message 35: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

hey Kathryn! how do you collage? is it like a vision board or book form?

message 36: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Sturges (katsturges) | 5 comments Hi Laura! I do vision boards, visual journal collages and artwork. Do you also collage?

message 37: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

Kathryn wrote: "Hi Laura! I do vision boards, visual journal collages and artwork. Do you also collage?"

Not yet, but I want to start a vision board and have been looking online for ideas. So it's funny you mentioned it!

message 38: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Sturges (katsturges) | 5 comments That's great! There are a lot of online courses you can take about creating vision boards, I discovered them through toliveinspired.wordpress.com Have fun visioning!

message 39: by Juhi (new)

Juhi Patel | 13 comments I knit occasionally and right now i'm making a sculptor.,. I even like origami so I often make flowers and gifts for people from paper., it also gives a personal touch to the gifts..

message 40: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Arnold (nahteeraisamanthaarnold) I love vision boards!!! I used to have one in Qatar, but when I moved to India I lost it. :P I'm gonna make a new one when I move to Sudan in July. :P

message 41: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Arnold (nahteeraisamanthaarnold) My new room in Sudan is gonna be nearly entirely made of DIYs :P I'm obsessed with DIYs.

message 42: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Sturges (katsturges) | 5 comments Hi Samantha, what backing did you use for your vision board? I made mine on poster board but was wondering if the same concept could work on like a cork board or something similar. That way I could add to it when ever i want. Juhi, that's awesome you knit! My twin sister knits all these awesome gifts for me!

message 43: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Arnold (nahteeraisamanthaarnold) Kathryn wrote: "Hi Samantha, what backing did you use for your vision board? I made mine on poster board but was wondering if the same concept could work on like a cork board or something similar. That way I cou..."

I used a cork board. It was nice because i could just add and remove things whenever i wanted.