Bisky's Twitterling's Scribbles! discussion

All Things Writing > What font do you write in?

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bisky (new)

Bisky Scribbles (bisky_scribbles) | 2536 comments Mod
Scrivener has courier new as its default and I'm pretty sure its the font on goodreads when you type messages. The standard font for manuscripts (?)

But this font plays with my dyslexia something crazy. I can't see misspellings at all for somereason. (if you haven't noticed them you will now lol)

I write in times new roman because I'm most used to seeing it online. And other fonts that look almost like it (wikipedia's for instance)

I've heard comic sans, even though it gets alot of hate is one of the best fonts to read if you do have learning difficulties. And its one of the only fonts that has an 'a' as we write them in schools.

And there are other more 'readable' fonts.

So, what font do you work in?

message 2: by Ken (last edited Aug 25, 2013 05:44AM) (new)

Ken Mooney (kenmooney) I'm Times New Roman all the way, which really irritates me that Word and Scrivener default to other fonts. Or if I'm in the middle of writing and suddenly the font goes back to the default...

I don't think there's any reasons behind it for me: I just find it easier to read, prettier and more common, so if I'm working on something across 3/4 different computers, they'll all be the same.

What I do love, however, is small caps. Regardless of the font, chapter headings (or character names for notes and that) look amazing in them (and I was actually introduced to them by a former boss with dyslexia too; could be worth a shot?)

message 3: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Castro (nicolecastro) | 116 comments I use google docs so I guess their default one!

message 4: by J (new)

J | 301 comments Mod
I was actually thinking of asking this question myself. :3

My first novel I wrote in Times New Roman. After that I typed mostly with Palatino Linotype. But in Scrivener I use Garamond, and for the document notes on the right, I use Courier. :3

I actually don't mind the default font in Word 2007 and beyond, but not for fiction writing--maybe notes or a long email I type in a word processor, so I don't lose it in the browser.

message 5: by Bisky (new)

small caps? :o

Garamond is a beautiful font I love it :3

message 6: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Barnes | 86 comments I used to use Courier New 12 because it was a little bigger and clearer for me. CreateSpace had Garamond for their font on their template and I've been using it ever since. Still use 12, although if it get to long I will move down to 11. I don't want to make it too small for my readers. I also use 1.5 for line spacing. Again if to long I'll move down to 1.2. Just easier to read.

message 7: by Carry (new)

Carry | 38 comments I normally used Century Gothic because apparently it's the font that uses the least ink which make sit more economical but ever since I reinstalled windows on my computer, that font seemed to have vanished thus now I write in Times New Roman.
I really really dislike Courier. I think it's an ugly font :P

message 8: by Kay (new)

Kay (aceraven) | 41 comments I am a big fan of Times New Roman, it looks cleaner to me than many of the other common fonts. I actually made it my default font in Scrivener. In general I like edgy fonts, probably because my handwriting is so round I like to see something else when I type.

message 9: by J (new)

J | 301 comments Mod
Garamond it great. :3 I'm considering to use it as the font if I end up self-publishing again. I bought a book on how to make a novel outline, and I fell in love with the font. I asked the writer if it's Garamond, and I guessed correctly! That's what happens when you lay out a school paper for a year--you learn fonts. xD

Carry wrote: "I normally used Century Gothic because apparently it's the font that uses the least ink which make sit more economical but ever since I reinstalled windows on my computer, that font seemed to have ..."
I sent you a link where you can download that font again. :3

I guess the only time I use Times New Roman nowadays is for writing English papers in MLA format. :3

message 10: by Rick (new)

Rick Soper (RickSoper) | 169 comments Helvetica. I do TV production on the side and Helvetica is the most common font in TV, so it's just stuck in my head, and I think it looks best on the written page, but then again that just might be because it's stuck in my head.

message 11: by Bisky (new)

@Carry I didnt know that :o

@Kay i can't read my writing, i have no idea what font it is :p

@Josh Garamond is the harry potter font :3

@Ken I think what you are most used to seeing really has something to do with it :3

message 12: by Ken (new)

Ken Mooney (kenmooney) Rick wrote: "Helvetica. I do TV production on the side and Helvetica is the most common font in TV, so it's just stuck in my head, and I think it looks best on the written page, but then again that just might ..."

I work on the broadcast side, and the company has its own font (which loads as default on all documents.) It's kind of "cool" and "modern" but far too curly for my liking, and fills me with rage every time I try to do anything in work.

message 13: by Bisky (new)

but far too curly for my liking, and fills me with rage every time I try to do anything in work

You don't know how hard I laughed at that, hahahaha! :p

message 14: by Ken (new)

Ken Mooney (kenmooney) It was one of the things I said when getting my cover designed too, I didn't want any curly fonts. I think it annoyed my designer but...he still came through.

message 15: by Bisky (new)

Maybe he was just thinking of his curly hair? :p

message 16: by Bisky (new)

Yes! I've realised this recently when I was choosing a font to put my chapter excerpt in! :3 Its strange but lovely!

message 17: by Carl (new)

Carl Times New Roman. Italics shows characters' thoughts in fiction; shows emphasis in poetry.

message 18: by Deb (last edited Aug 27, 2013 02:52AM) (new)

Deb (soulhaven) | 103 comments Palatino Linotype, here...

I was introduced to it when I was doing documentation at a software company - updating User Guides (woo!). I've found a desire to stick with it now I'm still doing documentation, just for electricians... I prefer it to Times, myself... but I may be being font-snobby

Garamond and related fonts are the most common in published books. But for working, you can use whatever you like.

I also have a soft spot for Cambria (serif) and Calibri (sans)...

... I've spent too much time thinking about fonts, haven't I?

message 19: by Michael (new)

Michael Pearce (michaeltinkerpearce) | 91 comments Honestly I have no idea... I can't even remember which font we format things in for publication, except that it isn't TNR.

message 20: by Bisky (new)

@Deb someone has to think about it :p

message 21: by J (new)

J | 301 comments Mod
Deb wrote: "Palatino Linotype, here...

I was introduced to it when I was doing documentation at a software company - updating User Guides (woo!). I've found a desire to stick with it now I'm still doing docu..."

It's o.k. I think about fonts too much, too. haha :3 I like Calibri, too. I'm glad you pointed out this is Palatino Linotype on this site because I was thinking the same thing.

message 22: by Karen (new)

Karen (okiewashere) | 57 comments Generally I try to avoid serif fonts. Helvetica and Arial are great sans serif fonts. They are easier to read - real eye comforters.
I am also a Comic Sans Serif fan. This is normally not suitable for publishing, though.

message 23: by Bisky (new)

Comic sans gets alot of hate but I don't think its so bad :3

message 24: by Karen (new)

Karen (okiewashere) | 57 comments Perhaps Comic sans seems too 'proud'. ;)

message 25: by Bisky (new)

Oh yes :3

message 26: by J (new)

J | 301 comments Mod
Something I learned from computer courses and website-making courses is that sans serif fonts read better on computer screens and serif fonts read better on paper.

Another font that receives much hate is "Papyrus." I like that font--I used it as the subtitle for an old old book cover. :3

message 27: by Bisky (new)

I love papyrus :x Its just over used by resturants O_o

message 28: by Deb (new)

Deb (soulhaven) | 103 comments Josh wrote: "Something I learned from computer courses and website-making courses is that sans serif fonts read better on computer screens and serif fonts read better on paper."

Yes, I remember learning this too.

Comic Sans is "cute", so I think people have trouble taking it seriously.

message 29: by Deb (new)

Deb (soulhaven) | 103 comments Josh wrote: "I'm glad you pointed out this is Palatino Linotype on this site because I was thinking the same thing. "

Ha ha, I was meaning that I use Palatino Linotype (oops, must be clearer)... But, actually, now you mention it, you might be right that it's the font of GR... Very similar, anyway.

Honestly, though, most easily readible fonts differ very little!

message 30: by J (new)

J | 301 comments Mod
@Bisky
I see it in restaurants and ads around school often. x3 lol

@Deb
Yeah, it's very close. :3 But part of me wants to say it's Times New Roman. Font sizes make fonts look different, too.

message 31: by Bisky (new)

Last night I changed my first novel into garamond and found a gazillion mistakes. Werid how the brain works :x

message 32: by J.K. (new)

J.K. James (author_jkjames) | 8 comments Palatino Linotype

message 33: by Jaeme (new)

Jaeme (J_Haviland) | 40 comments TNR 12 - it's been my go-to font for creative writing for years now.

message 34: by J. David (new)

J. David Clarke (clarketacular) | 418 comments Times New Roman 12 has been my font for my current series. I've thought about mixing it up and using something else for other projects but I'm pretty comfortable with it.

message 35: by Topaz (new)

Topaz Winters (topazwinters) I use Cambria. I just like the rounded-ness of it.

message 36: by Annalisa (new)

Annalisa Crawford | 19 comments Times New Roman for the most part. Although when I was taking part in NaNoWriMo last year I used a different random font each day. Because word count not quality was important I would just watch the font appear on the screen and not worry about what I was writing. It was liberating, and really interesting when I changed the whole doc to Times to read it through at the end.

message 37: by Bisky (new)

I always think you should never read back as you go :] Its how I get my huge word counts, there is time later for edits.

message 38: by AJ (new)

AJ Salem (aj_salem) | 28 comments I like writing in Cochin and editing in Garamond. For some reason I can't be imaginative in Times New Roman. Must be my association with writing term papers.

message 39: by J (new)

J | 301 comments Mod
@Bisky - That's a habit I've training myself to overcome.

@AJ - Times New Roman makes me think of the papers I have to write for English classes in MLA format.

message 40: by Bisky (new)

I wrote Vermillion in TNR so it feels alittle nostaligic to me :p

message 41: by Samuel (new)

Samuel S.B. (sa5muelb) | 12 comments I write everything in TNR...it is the easiest font to write in for me...or maybe I am old fashioned

message 42: by Tim (new)

Tim | 3 comments I prefer to write in courier new, because the typeface leaves the same space for each letter. I find it easier to edit and pick up mistakes that way.

Once writing and editing is done, I generally change to Arial, as it's nicer on the eyes.

message 43: by J (new)

J | 301 comments Mod
@Samuel - If you're used to a font, it becomes easier for you. :3 - I wrote my first novel in TNR because I was used to it from using it for school papers.

@Tim - I like that about Courier, too. Now when you edit in Arial, do you print it out an edit or do you edit on screen? :3

Serif fonts like Times New Roman look better in print while San Serif fonts like Ariel look better on screen.

message 44: by Valerie (new)

Valerie O'Brien | 28 comments I've always used Courier New 12 for creative writing. But I like Garamond too.