SA Book & Challenge Lovers discussion

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chrizette (last edited Aug 25, 2013 02:13AM) (new)

Chrizette | 906 comments I need to vent! . . . or else I am going to scream!

I am so unhappy with my blog! I went over to Wordpress in the beginning of the year because I just hated the blogger editor but I am beginning to wonder if that was a bad idea. Wordpress (the free version) is so limited and for a tech-disabled person, it is a nightmare!

Maybe I should just make a break and try to start a fresh blog (on blogger) AGAIN!

Blogger is so much easier and so much more versatile but my old blog's settings are so messed up that I just can't get it to work properly.

I have a few reviews I want to write but with all the problems I have, it is just driving me crazy!

message 2: by Claudia (new)

Claudia (claudiavstoomanybooks) | 1779 comments :(
I don't know that much about the free version of Wordpress. Does the version you download and use on your own domain have more options? (Lu?)
If it does, maybe you could try it out.

message 3: by Ruan (new)

Ruan Viljoen If you're willing to spend some money on the blog then have a look at www.squarespace.com Amazing how much you can get done through the interface with zero development. Can import Wordpress and Blogger too so you will not lose your content.

message 4: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Oh dear :(

I've been happy with the basic version of Wordpress, but I have a very minimalist blog with a basic design and only a few simple widgets - none of the fancy stuff I see on most people's blogs. I never need to fiddle with the techy stuff, and that's fine with me. Sometimes I can't do things exactly the way I'd want to, but it's usually a minor issue.

I experimented briefly with the free version of Wordpress that you download (I didn't know there was one you had to pay for...) and use with your own domain, but I was thoroughly confused and decided very quickly I wasn't in the mood to learn all I needed to know, or to sort out the code every time I wanted to post something. It does offer loads more options and some very nice templates, but for me it wasn't worth the bother. Lu offered to help but I didn't want to run to her every time my pictures didn't align properly or my text was the wrong size.

message 5: by Leon (new)

Leon Mare (LeonMare) | 9 comments I've never blogged before, and on July 16th decided to give it a go. I find Blogger fairly simple to use, but being IT illiterate I still had to lean heavily on my children for technical help.
The blog simply took off like a rocket - I must have done something right somewhere. At 4am this morning it went live on The Lowvelder Online, and six other regional newspapers are following suit.
But it is addictive - the blog has stolen my life!

message 6: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Hi Chriz,

I suggest trying the paid version? I pay R36 or R39 a month with Afrihost and I am so happy with their service. If I can't get something to work I mail them and they help. They also back up and helped me when I broke the blog lol

The really nice thing is that you get all these free layouts that you can actually use because you own the wordpress.

If you do decide to go this route, let me know I will also help you with the templates and edit them if you need any adjustments. My html knowledge is basic, but so far I have been able to get exactly what I want.

message 7: by Chrizette (last edited Sep 21, 2013 06:50AM) (new)

Chrizette | 906 comments Before I submit to the paid version of a blog, I have decided to give it one last try.

Just Reading For Fun

I have posted my first review :)

message 8: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Looks great Chriz!

message 9: by Chrizette (new)

Chrizette | 906 comments Thank you, Lu! :) I forgot how much I like blogging.