What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

First Things First
This topic is about First Things First
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Romance novel - man goes away for some reason, isolates himself. His wealthy family pays a woman to go and convince him to return. - contemporary - 15 years ago probably [s]

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jennifer Hillier (thejennhillier) | 35 comments So, I remember a romance I read years ago, but once again, cannot remember what it is called or who it is by. It's just a simple romance, probably an old Harlequin or Silhouette or such.

What I can remember is this: A man goes away for some reason, isolates himself. His wealthy family pays a woman to go and convince him to return. I believe she is in the profession that does something along the lines of missing people, but I can't be sure. They don't want him to know they sent her. She goes. At some point they become intimate. Then he finds out why she came, accuses her of a bunch of stuff and breaks her heart, telling her to leave. She does so in distress, then he has a change of heart and tries to go after her but he is too late. She returns home, I think the wealthy family is cruel to her somehow, I think she returned their money. She's heart broken and works herself into exhaustion and illness. Then he comes home, looks her up, helps her get her health back and brings her home with him. He spends the last bit of the novel trying to make up for the way he hurt her and earn her trust back again, no matter what his family thinks.

I read this when I was in high school I am pretty sure, and I graduated 12 years ago, so I am estimating about 15 years, but I honestly don't even know if it was a new book at the time. For some reason I am thinking it was at least a couple years old when I read it.

Anyone have any idea?

Jennifer Hillier (thejennhillier) | 35 comments No ideas?

message 3: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6972 comments Mod
You've had 21 views Jennifer--but so far I'm guessing no one knows your book.

message 4: by Melanie (new) - added it

Melanie (melaina) | 35 comments This sounds like a good read:) Could it be one of Diana Palmer's books? Although she has a big age difference between the H/h... I'm curious to know what it could be!

Amber (Daisymau) (daisymau) | 1076 comments The only book I can think of is First Things First by Barbara Delinsky. It's been years since I read it, but I do remember that the hero was hiding in Mexico. I don't remember who sent the heroine to find him.

message 6: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

First Things First is Amber's suggestion.

Diana Palmer is the click for the author that Melanie suggested.

Jennifer Hillier (thejennhillier) | 35 comments To be honest, I believe Amber may have nailed it, but I won't know until I reread. Unfortunately it is nowhere to be found in the multitude of ebooks now living on my computer. I will try to find it and let you guys know for sure. :)

Also, some of those Diana Palmer books look pretty interesting. I will have to check them out.

Thanks guys!!

message 8: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Do you want to wait to move this to solved until after you read First Things First, or until after you've also checked out the Diana Palmer books?

Jennifer Hillier (thejennhillier) | 35 comments And the verdict is in. The novel I was remembering is indeed First Things First by Barbara Delinsky. I finished rereading it a while ago and Amber had it spot on. Thanks so much. It was as good as I remembered. :)

Soooo. How do I move this strand to Solved?

message 10: by Amber (Daisymau) (new)

Amber (Daisymau) (daisymau) | 1076 comments You're welcome. Just glad to be able to find you find the book.

message 11: by Ann aka Iftcan (last edited Aug 25, 2013 06:16PM) (new)

I moved it for you Jennifer. Congrats on finally deciding that it is your book, and that it is as good as you remembered.

Jennifer Hillier (thejennhillier) | 35 comments Hahaha. Once I found it, it wasn't long reading and deciding. :)

Thanks for the move.

I'm feeling nostalgic of late. I may have to post about other older stories I have read. :)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

First Things First (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Diana Palmer (other topics)