Getting Lucky
This topic is about Getting Lucky
Some Leftovers! (Previous Reads) > Side Read ~ Getting Lucky by Craig Anderson

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

LaLaLa Laura  (laurabhoffman) | 4443 comments Mod
Getting Lucky by Craig Anderson

Here we will discuss the novella Getting Lucky by Craig Anderson

"One good deed deserves another. When a homeless man rescues a young boy from a savage beating he is rewarded with a life changing discovery. Unfortunately he was perfectly happy with his life the way it was. Now he is up against forces that are conspiring to make him be something that he's not, a decent human being."

I downloaded this book last night and it got my interest right away. It will be interesting to see where this story is going to go!

message 3: by Craig (new) - added it

Craig | 17 comments Thanks Laura! I'd be happy to answer any questions anyone has. This is my first published story so I'm really keen on getting feedback and hearing what people think.

People talk about karma. Like it's something they believe in. But it still remains intangible. Craig portrays karma in a way that you can instantly and literally see its impact right in front of you. It makes me think how differently people would behave if they too could witness karma happen in front of their very eyes.

message 5: by Craig (new) - added it

Craig | 17 comments My suspicion is that everyone would be a lot nicer!

Getting Lucky started life as a short story simply entitled 'Karma' and had no other primary characters except the lead. That worked ok for 2000 words but when I decided to expand the story I needed to layer in more characters and more depth. We'd just got a puppy a few months earlier and we were in the thick of trying to train the stubborn little bugger, and thus Lucky was born :)

I just realized, does "Homeless Guy" have a name? Did i miss it? :D

message 7: by Craig (new) - added it

Craig | 17 comments Haha, nope he isn't named in this book, that's coming in the next installment. You'd be amazed how many people never notice that! It's just one of those little quirks, I wanted to show that a loner has no use for a name.

I love that! that's cool.

still haven't finished the book yet (no wonder I started up a group like this!)
but I would love to hear the "back story " of Homeless Guy. will that be in the next installment?

message 9: by Craig (new) - added it

Craig | 17 comments For anyone that's looking to read Getting Lucky this week, there's a couple of ways to get a copy without having to spend a penny. It's available at the following places:
Goodreads - FREE (http://goo.gl/QHDkS)
PDF - FREE http://www.todayschapter.com/books.htm
Kobo - $1.99 (http://goo.gl/4w11A)
Kindle - $1.99 (http://goo.gl/qnvNG)

Of course if you do pay for it you'll get excellent Karma ;)

Thanks

Craig

oh no my version was free. :s

message 11: by Craig (new) - added it

Craig | 17 comments haha, well you get double Karma points for helping me get word out to new readers!

Homeless guys back story will be fleshed out in the next book, along with some new twists of fate...

I enjoyed Getting Lucky very much. it is such an amazing concept to imagine karma to be a physical, tangible thing. I think karma is true. we are the creators of our own environment. sometimes we allow ourselves to become bitter or unhappy but that can snowball into attracting nnegativity.
the book is uplifting and definitely thought provoking.

message 13: by Craig (new) - added it

Craig | 17 comments I'm really glad you enjoyed it, I certainly had a lot of fun writing it!

I've always struggled with opposing beliefs. On the one hand I am not a spiritual or religious person, I very much believe we control our own destiny. However, at the exact same time I strongly believe there is an element of fate to proceedings, that some things were simply 'meant' to be. I've never been able to reconcile those two viewpoints, but that internal conflict is what gave me the idea to write Getting Lucky, so maybe it's fate after all! :)

message 14: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) Craig wrote: "Haha, nope he isn't named in this book, that's coming in the next installment. You'd be amazed how many people never notice that! It's just one of those little quirks, I wanted to show that a loner..."

This reminds me of the female main character from the classic book,

Rebecca by Daphne DuMaurier

message 15: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) Craig wrote: "I'm really glad you enjoyed it, I certainly had a lot of fun writing it!

I've always struggled with opposing beliefs. On the one hand I am not a spiritual or religious person, I very much believe ..."

Sounds like a really good book with an intriguing theme. My dad used to say that with a good education and networking you still need a bit of luck.

message 16: by Craig (new) - added it

Craig | 17 comments Couldn't agree with that more! Most of my 'career progression' has been 10% hard work, 90% right place right time. Unless my boss is reading this, in which case it was 100% hard work...

message 17: by Craig (new) - added it

Craig | 17 comments Just wanted to say a big Thanks to Laura for pointing more people towards Getting Lucky - much appreciated! I hope everyone that picked it up has enjoyed it :)

message 18: by LaLaLa Laura (last edited Sep 11, 2013 02:15PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

No problem, Craig.

Not sure if this is too off topic, but your story got me thinking..
I wonder is Karma a spiritual thing or could it also apply to those who are more "secular" in their thinking?

Suppose one does not believe in Karma or spirituality or luck, doesn't it make sense that you are the creator of your own environment anyway? Ex, if someone is nice to everyone won't generally they find people to be nice in return?

message 19: by Craig (new) - added it

Craig | 17 comments I've always thought of Karma of being less direct than that. For example, if I give blood the person that benefits never meets me or knows that I did something nice. Karma balances out those selfless acts, give blood today, get a big promotion next week. However, for that to work there has to be someone or something keeping score, which is where the religion aspect crops up :)

I like your blog post by the way on the iPhone 5s, Craig! :D

message 21: by Craig (new) - added it

Craig | 17 comments Saw this video and immediately thought of our conversation on Karma! :)

http://gawker.com/this-three-minute-c...

indeed definitely more poignant than a Hollywood film. :)

keep me and us posted on your sequel :)