UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

The See-Through Leopard
This topic is about The See-Through Leopard
Book Recommendations > The See-Through Leopard by Sibel Hodge

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 24, 2013 01:18PM) (new)

"Most sixteen-year-old girls are obsessed with their looks, but Jazz Hooper's obsessed for a different reason. After a car accident that kills her mum, Jazz is left with severe facial scars and retreats into a dark depression.

Fearing what will happen if Jazz doesn't recover, her dad makes a drastic decision to move them from England to a game reserve in Kenya for a new start. And when Jazz finds an orphaned leopard cub, it sets off a chain of events that lead her on a two year journey of discovery, healing, and love."

I would normally wait until I've finished reading a book before I recommend it, but I am 70% through this so can be confident about it and I have noticed that it is only 77p at the mo - for a limited time, so I decided not to waste any time highlighting it for bargain hunters.

I do enjoy Sibel's books anyway, but this is turning out to be one of my favourites. It is very well written. I started it this morning and am finding it to be gripping reading. The main characters are 16 and 18 years old, so I suppose you could call this a young adult novel - but I think that would be restrictive, it is so well-written and with themes that appeal to all ages. I found the writing about Jazz's depression is particularly well described and moved me to tears at one point. This is a moving and uplifting story, about how a young girl's relationship with an orphaned leopard saves both of them. It also highlights the plight of wild animals and the efforts of those who love them. I can definately recommend this. A percentage of proceeds from the books go Panthera, a leading international conservation organization dedicated to protecting and preserving the world’s big cats, plus other wildlife conservation groups.

Edit to add amazon link!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-See-Throu...

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Finished it this morning and have just written my review:-

"I thoroughly enjoyed reading this and couldn't put it down - I spent most of an afternoon, evening and then the following morning reading this. I actually finished it this morning!

I found this to be a gripping, moving and thought-provoking read. It was very well-written. I found the descriptions of Jazz's depression covered so well that it moved me to tears. The story of her re-wilding of the leopard cub was gripping and I loved immersing myself in the atmosphere of the animal reserve.

The main characters in this, Jazz and Zach, are 16 and 18, so I'm not sure if you would class this as a young adult story. Although it would be suitable for those age groups, I think that it would be restrictive to say that it is only aimed at young people. The quality of writing and the serious themes to this novel make it appropriate for all adults. Although serious issues are raised, this is also an inspiring and uplifting read. One that I can wholehearedly recommend."

message 3: by Sibel (new)

Sibel Hodge | 42 comments Wow, that's an amazing review, Karen, thanks so much for taking the time, it's much appreciated :)

This is very different from my usual chick lit books, and it was the hardest book I've written so far! Because it deals with such serious themes, I really wanted to do the book justice. I hope I have :) xx

message 4: by Joo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joo (jooo) | 1636 comments I would have finished it by now but was dragged out to the pub for dinner.
It really is a lovely lovely story.

message 5: by Sibel (new)

Sibel Hodge | 42 comments Ha ha! Hope you enjoyed your dinner! :) I didn't even think you would've started it yet, so thanks very much for getting into it so quickly, sweetie.

I'm so glad you're enjoying it :) xx

Pat ()  | 29 comments Read and enjoyed

message 7: by Sibel (new)

Sibel Hodge | 42 comments Oh, fabulous, Pat, thanks so much. So glad you liked it :) xx

message 9: by Sibel (new)

Sibel Hodge | 42 comments Thanks so much for taking the time to read and review this, Kim! It's soooo much appreciated, and I'm really glad you liked it :) xx

message 10: by Kath (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kath Middleton | 25096 comments It's Kath! But it was a pleasure!

message 11: by Sibel (new)

Sibel Hodge | 42 comments LOL, sorry, Kath! :( xx