The Not a Book Club Club discussion

Gentleman Bastards > LOLM - Section 7: Chapter 15 - End of Book

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6373 comments Mod
This is the final 100 pages or so (in my edition).

Please keep all discussion to the events and speculation from Chapter 15 - End of Book.

No spoiler tags required. Though it would be highly appreciated if you Uncheck Add to my Update Feed to avoid accidentally spoiling this for your good read friends.

Please do not discuss events from later books. Referring back to events from a previous section is fine.

message 2: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new)

Man what a great ending. Locke manages to escape only to find the mage is there to kill Jean. Lucky for the Bastards the mage is arrogant and tries to compel Locke to kill Jean instead of the other way around. Only surprise, Locke isn't his real name. Duh!

They torture and mutilate but don't kill the mage. This is the second series where the magic is wielded by assholes.

Locke shows his heart saves the day AND cons them all to not only dig in shit but to sink the treasure ship in honor of his dead friends.

And of course he manages to kill the Gray King and escape the city. Loved it.

message 3: by David Sven (new)

David Sven (gorro) | 316 comments I loved this ending. The mage totally had it coming. I can't remember which chapter it was in - but one of my favourite snapshot moments was when Locke punches the spider and escapes.

message 4: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new)

Haha. Yeah. That was awesome too. Take that old woman!

message 5: by David Sven (new)

David Sven (gorro) | 316 comments I'm not sure it's kosher to be laughing at an old woman getting smacked in the chops but gee it was funny.

message 6: by Mpauli (new)

Mpauli | 241 comments It was kind of a fun, action-packed and revengeful ending.
But what I really liked, although it didn't change anything in Locke yet, was that his morale and behaviour was questioned.
I liked the story Conte told about the loyal Don Salvara and that those people Locke robs aren't bad per se.
And, honestly, I felt a lot of sympathy for the Gray King as well. His father was a whistleblower and therefore his whole family was cut down. Therefore I can understand where he's coming from, although he retaliated without avoiding to hurt innocents.

But Locke did that as well, although on another level. He didn't ask what kind of life he destroyed by making the banker's servant run.
Did he have a wife and children he had to evacuate as well? Sure, he gave him money, but he fucked up his life big time without regret.
So, the characters where surprisingly more gray than I expected.

message 7: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new)

I hadn't really given much thought to the bank worker. It certainly wasn't a nice thing Locke did for him, but I don't think it comes close really.

message 8: by Hanne (new)

Hanne (hanne2) michael, i have to agree on that. i actually felt quite bad for the bank worker who got ruined in the process. and it makes me wonder how many other people he ruined during his ploys (and i don't mean the nobles who lost money).
he isn't really much of a robin hood is he?

message 9: by Mpauli (new)

Mpauli | 241 comments It's quite interesting, cause he starts out as a child thief and gets the two older boys killed in the process. And Chains spend a huge deal of time on the lesson that Locke shouldn't hurt innocent bystanders with his plots.

But this is exactly what he does. He doesn't get him killed immediately and gives him money, but the bank employee looses a lot.
In the bank they still think he is part of an assassination attempt, so he might get killed after all, if he gets caught.
And if he flees Camorr directly, he has to leave all of his belongings behind and has to abandon his home.

message 10: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new)

Hanne wrote: "he isn't really much of a robin hood is he? "

Personally I thought that comparison was unwarranted. The back of my book mentions that, but I thought it was way off. When did the Bastards ever give away their money? They just sat on it and planned their next con..

message 11: by Mpauli (new)

Mpauli | 241 comments Rob wrote: "Personally I thought that comparison was unwarranted. The back of my book mentions that, but I thought it was way off. When did the Bastards ever give away their money? They just sat on it and planned their next con.."

From the text I had the feeling that this Robin Hood thing was just something Locke invented as part of his Thorn of Camorr reputation.

message 12: by Hanne (last edited Sep 16, 2013 04:35AM) (new)

Hanne (hanne2) Rob, it's true that they never gave away their money, however that is what the city thought they did. so i guess that's were the robin hood comparison comes from. not what they did, but what the city thought they did.

i was under the impression that locke did not invent the thorn of camorr nor his reputation, but that the city invented it

message 13: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new)

Yeah but my book cover says part ocean's 11 part Robin Hood. That's what I take issue with.

message 14: by Hanne (new)

Hanne (hanne2) aah ok got it. I have no clue because I never read the back cover (i never do when I know I'll read it anyway. too many spoilers on back covers)