The Not a Book Club Club discussion

Gentleman Bastards > LOLM - Section 3: Chapter 4 - Chapter 5

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6374 comments Mod
This is the third 100 pages or so (in my edition).

Please keep all discussion to the events and speculation from Chapter 4 - Chapter 5.

No spoiler tags required. Though it would be highly appreciated if you Uncheck Add to my Update Feed to avoid accidentally spoiling this for your good read friends.

Please do not discuss events from later chapters/books. Referring back to events from a previous section is fine.

message 2: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new)

So apparently the wings belong to a raven that is the familiar of a mage who works for the Gray King. Locke appears to be backed into a corner. I'm looking forward to see what plan he comes up with to get out of it.

Meanwhile Don Corleone, err Capa Barsavi wants Locke to marry his daughter and serve as Consigliere to his sons.

message 3: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new)

Oh and I forgot to mention how awesome it was that Locke turned stealing a dead body into a profitable con. Hilarious.

message 4: by Hanne (new)

Hanne (hanne2) I'm glad things got shaken up a bit with these chapters. Before the Grey King I thought we'd merily get Locke grinning over his plays. But this is interesting!

First of all, there is the Capa, who still thinks Locke is some kind of low level thief, and has no clue Locke continuously violates his Secret Peace. Now that the Capa is wetting his pants over the Grey King thing, he actually turns to Locke with a arranged marriage both need to get out of. I like!

I liked chapter 5 even more when the Grey King comes into play, turning the previous plot even more complicated.

I wasn't completely sure about all ravings about this book - I liked it all right, but i didn't think it was 5 star, and read-in-one-night material... so far!
I can see this part being the turning point

Still waiting for Sabetha to turn up.
She must be quite something else.

message 5: by Lee (new)

Lee (kiwifirst) | 29 comments Just starting chapter 4 and I have a new fav character. Harza. Similar theme here, Chains and Harza, grumpy old men with acerbic tongues.

"four solons two." "The gods wouldn't get four stolons two from me. Morgante himself with a flaming sword and ten naked virgins yanking at my breeches might get four stolons one. You get three and four and that's final

Love it.

message 6: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new)

Heh. Yeah that scene was amusing Lee.

message 7: by Mpauli (last edited Sep 14, 2013 12:03PM) (new)

Mpauli | 241 comments The Gray King adds spice to the story and now I wonder who he is, cause Locke said something on the line that he looked familiar.

So, the Thieftaker in disguise might be an option, but I guess he's too old by now.

Another option would be that it is Lord Nicovante (sp?) himself.

So, three sections down and no crazy theory from me? No way! Here it is:

There is a line, where Locke says something like "even if I would be the heir of Duke Nicovante".
I call that line a setup!
In crazy world, Locke is now the heir to the throne of Camorr. And daddy wants to make sure that his "bastard" (The Gentlemen Bastards are called that for an authory reason, ey?) makes it to the top of the underworldly food chain.

And I think Locke's name -Locke- hints to something hidden, a secret that is locked away. Perfect fit for a bastard of a duke.
So, here you go. All of you are probably already knowing the answer, but maybe it's a series secret. So, we're going to remember that I called it here.^^

message 8: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new)

Heh. Making good progress on this. Enjoying it?

And I like your theory.

message 9: by Mpauli (new)

Mpauli | 241 comments Rob wrote: "Heh. Making good progress on this. Enjoying it?

And I like your theory."

Yes, I'm enjoying it. I think I'm in the mood for a bit of banter and the whole con-schemes.
I hope to finish it at the start of the next week so I can directly hop into RSURS.

message 10: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new)

Cool.