The Not a Book Club Club discussion

Gentleman Bastards > LOLM - Section 2: Chapter 2 - Interlude: The Last Mistake

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6373 comments Mod
This is the second 100 pages or so (in my edition).

Please keep all discussion to the events and speculation from Chapter 2 - Interlude: The Last Mistake.

No spoiler tags required. Though it would be highly appreciated if you Uncheck Add to my Update Feed to avoid accidentally spoiling this for your good read friends.

Please do not discuss events from later chapters/books. Referring back to events from a previous section is fine.

message 2: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new)

So this story didn't hook me as fast as it seems to have hooked Lee, but it has me now.

I was starting to think how the plot was going to be about the midnighters on Locke and crew's trail, only for them to be Locke and one of his crew. Brilliant.

It doesn't seem that they are safe though. Something is following them, and it seems to have wings.

Apparently Locke has achieved a sort of Robin Hood legend about him.

I really like how Mr. Lynch is interspersing Locke's coming of age story with the present day. I also liked how he went back and showed what we missed after exposing the midnighters.

I'm wondering about the story between Locke and Sabetha whose been mentioned both in the past and the present, but has yet to appear 'on stage'. It seems like she and Locke were in love and something went wrong. Locke appears to still have feelings for her.

Can't wait to read more!

message 3: by Linette (new)

Linette | 134 comments I like your title ;)

message 4: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new)

Linette wrote: "I like your title ;)"

Lol. Thanks.

message 5: by Hanne (new)

Hanne (hanne2) I don't know what gave them away, but i instinctively knew that they were the midnighters as well. Something about being too secretive to be true.
Or, as i said last time in the previous thread, this reminds me so much of the Ocean's 11 series, and that might have lead me to spot it.

Nonetheless, this was an enjoyable chapter.
I'm curious what that 'bird-like' is that is following them indeed.
And like Rob I'm curious about Sabetha.

message 6: by Lee (new)

Lee (kiwifirst) | 29 comments I agree, as soon as the Midnighters started talking i was thinking, this has to be Locke. I think it was the way that Locke was trying to convince him, rather than giving royal commands as you'd expect a agent of the top dog to do so.

I love the characters in this and the interaction between Locke and his Gentlemen friends. I also think that Chains is (was) a great character and I am always looking forward to hearing him speak.

message 7: by Hanne (new)

Hanne (hanne2) Yes the interaction is terrific, and nearly everytime Chains opens his mouth he strucks gold!

message 8: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new)

Chains is by far my favorite supporting character. I hope he continues to show up in flashbacks throughout the series.

message 9: by Mpauli (new)

Mpauli | 241 comments The Midnighters fooled me and I thought for the brief moments the illusion lasted, that the thing following the bastards belonged to them as well.
As it turned out to have wings, it had my interest immediately.

So far the story progresses nicely and I like the back and forth between the different timelines so far.

I also like Camorr as a setting a lot. The glass bridge, the five towers, the whole celebration on the river. It invokes the right amount of sense of wonder and the places are all very beautiful.
But apart from the setting, the story lacks a fantasy element at the moment. That's why I hope to see more of the strange winged creature.

For the second time now, Lynch showed an element of the game, the brandwine Locke gets to drink as a boy, in one of the flashbacks.
I wonder, if there is more to those things, or if it's just a thing he just does for the readers to familiarize us with those invented names and places.

message 10: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new)

You'll definitely get more fantasy as the story progresses, but I think that it's a much smaller aspect of this book than a normal fantasy series.

message 11: by David Sven (new)

David Sven (gorro) | 316 comments Mpauli wrote: "The Midnighters fooled me"

Me too. Then after it was like Of course!

message 12: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new)

I guess Lee And Hanne are just smarter than the rest of us!

message 13: by Mpauli (new)

Mpauli | 241 comments I think Erikson is sucking up all my crazy and misttrust. There is none left for other works.
Well, Mr.Coyote, do you need help with this piano? Sure, I'll trust you...