The Not a Book Club Club discussion

The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
This topic is about The Lies of Locke Lamora
Gentleman Bastards > LOLM - Section 1: Prologue - Interlude: Locke Explains

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6373 comments Mod
This is the first 100 pages or so (in my edition).

Please keep all discussion to the events and speculation from the Prologue - Interlude: Locke Explains.

No spoiler tags required. Though it would be highly appreciated if you Uncheck Add to my Update Feed to avoid accidentally spoiling this for your good read friends.

Please do not discuss events from later chapters/books.

message 2: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 5 stars

So not much to say yet. The prologue introduces us to Locke at a very young age. He's been a pickpocket since at least the age of five.

He also has a tendency to break the 'rules' that allows the thiefmaker and his kids to operate.

The first chapter has us following an adult Locke and his crew of Gentlemen Bastards who are working on some con that seems to involve getting in with a local Don.

We also get our first (of what looks to be many) interludes, that seems to return us to where the prologue left off in Locke's childhood. Apparently even at a young age he's been a planner. Unfortunately at that age his plans seem to go wrong. This one in particular resulting in two deaths.

Interesting start so far. Looking forward to see what comes next.

David Sven (gorro) | 316 comments The back story had an Oliver Twist feel to me. I liked it.

message 4: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee (kiwifirst) | 29 comments Only read the first 5 pages and already I really like the style.

if experience suggests that I would be wise to meet unexpected generosity from you by arming myself and putting my back against a wall

Great stuff ! Page one had me very excited.

message 5: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 5 stars

David Sven wrote: "The back story had an Oliver Twist feel to me. I liked it."

I can see that.

message 6: by Hanne (last edited Aug 25, 2013 01:16PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Hanne (hanne2) i'm joining in a few days!
my copy has arrived at my dad's (my mailbox isn't big enough for most books to fit into), so just need to drive to my dad and his oversized mailbox and i can start too

message 7: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hanne wrote: "i'm joining in a few days!
my copy has arrived at my dad's (my mailbox isn't big enough for most books to fit into), so just need to drive to my dad and his oversized mailbox and i can start too"

Cool! I started a little early, or tried to simply because I have to much to read this month. I think a few others will be jumping in as well.

message 8: by Dara (last edited Aug 26, 2013 07:43AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dara (cmdrdara) I really enjoy the format of this book. I like the current events with Locke and the interludes of the past.

Hanne (hanne2) so far i quite like it. i thought his stunt with the inn while he looked like he had been infected to get everyone out in a hurry, was a really nice one!

i also like the language in the book, particularly in dialogues. This must be my favourite so far:
"Oh. You have a magic boy. Magnificent. I'll plant him in the fucking ground and grow a vine to an enchanted land beyond the clouds"

reminds me a little of Oliver Twist indeed, but also Ocean's 11.

Mpauli | 241 comments We're getting to know Locke and the crew and get a lot of backstory.

What made me smile was that adult Locke dresses up as roughly the same kind of Verdan that he got the white coin from to set up Veslin.

I like this kind of con-artist thing in a fantasy book. It's refreshing and the crew seems to have a great potential for banter.

message 11: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 5 stars

So you're saying you want to learn how to be a con man?

message 12: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 5 stars

Note to self: watch wallet around Alex.