Books, Blogs, Authors and More discussion

Archive blog stuff > Blog Advice? It's Appreciated!

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by L. (new)

L. Benitez | 9 comments Hello, I'm L.

Long story short, I have a wordpress blog and I know I need to generate traffic and get people to follow me so I can have a following when I post and promote. Haha, the same challenge every blogger faces, I'm sure :)

Well, I'm putting effort to write short stories for my followers to read, reblog other writers to help promote them, and just post whatever general thoughts come my way. I'm an author but I don't want to always post about my book, you know?

So any advice for a beginning blogger? I'd appreciate it if you share your thoughts :) It's one of the best things I find about goodreads, actually, that generally everyone helps each other out.

Also, here's my wordpress blog http://authorlily7.wordpress.com/ if you wanna follow it. You can also post your own blog and I'll definitely be sure to follow back! :)

Have a great weekend and thank you.

message 2: by Steven (new)

Steven Malone | 49 comments Best advice given me - have good content.

2nd best advice is learn to be good at waiting for things come slowly.

My rather primitive web/blog site doesn't have a way to get followers unless I pay extra.

If the 'Shinobi 7' that popped up belongs to you 'L' then you look like your off to a terrific start. Best of luck.

message 3: by L. (new)

L. Benitez | 9 comments Steven wrote: "Best advice given me - have good content.

My rather primitive web/blog site doesn't have a way to get followers unless I pay..."

Thank you :D I do own Shinobi 7, it's the title of my book. I think getting an idea of my content and what I'll provide is a good start. Being patient... well, that's something everyone has to contend with :) Good luck to you too, thanks!

message 4: by Steven (new)

Steven Malone | 49 comments L. wrote: "Steven wrote: "Best advice given me - have good content.

My rather primitive web/blog site doesn't have a way to get followe..."

Welcome

message 5: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 453 comments Hey L, I'm going to check out your blog tomorrow and see what you have up and how it looks. I'd give advice but I'm no expert and could use some advice myself. So I will check your page out and see if I can offer you some advice and who knows maybe youll help me with mine in the process. (:

message 6: by L. (new)

L. Benitez | 9 comments Steven wrote: "L. wrote: "Steven wrote: "Best advice given me - have good content.

My rather primitive web/blog site doesn't have a way to ..."

Sorry for the late reply. But sounds good, looking forward to it. I was thinking of dropping my blog and focusing on my FB page, but I'm not sure if I wanna do that yet. Anyway, I'll be happy to check out your blog and if you wanna trade facebooks that would be great too :)

message 7: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Rydder (ThomasRydder) | 81 comments L. wrote: "Hello, I'm L.

Long story short, I have a wordpress blog and I know I need to generate traffic and get people to follow me so I can have a following when I post and promote. Haha, the same challen..."

Hi L...
One of the best ways to get people to follow you, is to follow them. Go to other blogs and read articles - and comment on them. Give insightful, intelligent comments, not just "loved the article". At the end, sign it and put your blog's address below that. Also, follow their blog. Many will follow back.
Also, as someone else mentioned, content is king at getting followers. It has to be interesting, because there are so many out there to choose from. You have to first identify who it is you want to attract, then fashion your posts to bring those folks in. If you have a problem creating your own posts, then supplement yours with re-posts of stuff you find on other people's blogs (this will also earn their gratitude, and they might well follow you, or re-post your articles). Blogging is very much back-scratching, and networking. And it doesn't hurt to veer off the path. I have a humor category that I throw in once in awhile, just to keep it light. Best of luck, and with your book too :)

Thomas Rydder
Author of "The Clearing"
http://thomasrydder.wordpress.com/

message 8: by Toni (new)

Toni Allen (listansus) | 2 comments Hi L,

I've been along to your blog and it's shaping up nicely. Well done on being interviewed in the local paper!

All the advice so far is really good but the thing I would add is to include 'like' buttons on Wordpress and a star rating button under your blog posts. I've found that on my blog people are happy to click the 'like' button but don't always want to follow. Like buttons give you Kudos but people don't have to commit to have yet more emails in their inbox. It also helps your posts look interactive.

I've followed to help you out and you might, or might not, like to follow my Wordpress blog at http://toniallenauthor.com/

Toni