The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Book Hunting / Recommendations > Help find this newcomer a series

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alli (new)

Alli (akwinot) I think I've come to the conclusion that to write mystery, I need to read mystery. Ahaha. So, guys, I'm coming to you. I'm looking for a series that is simply great. I want strong character relationships and strong characters. But I also want something that is long, I like challenges when it comes to reading, and I love love LOVE big books.

message 2: by Carmen (new)

Carmen | 2477 comments I recommend the "Pentergast" series by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child.

All the books are long ( I like my books as long as possible) and you'll like the characters. They are different!

The series starts with "Relic" and only gets better from there.

Or try the "Linley-Havers" series by Elizabeth George. These are about 2 detectives in the UK. They're very detailed and I think pretty intense. Not super gory or anything, but well written.

If I think of anymore good ones, I'll post them. :D

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh, where to begin....
I like Henning Mankell's Kurt Wallander series.
Karin Slaughter's Grant County Series.
Lee Child's Jack Reacher.
Sjöwall & Wahlöö's Martin Beck series.

And many many more...

message 4: by N (new)

N | 304 comments The Steig Larsson Girl trilogy is very good, I second Lee Child's Jack Reacher books, Alex Kava is holding strong on her Maggie O'Dell series and not a series as such but Minette Walters is a magnificent writer.

message 5: by Carmen (new)

Carmen | 2477 comments Also, I thought of a writer you might like. Try Greg Iles. I haven't read his books for awhile, but he is really good. And I see he's got some series work goin on too, so check him out.

message 6: by Jane (new)

Jane (flopsybunny) | 159 comments If you like police procedurals how about the Alan Banks series by Peter Robinson. Another excellent series is Peter Lovesey's Peter Diamond series. Or try Louise Penny, her books just keep getting better.

message 7: by David (new)

David Freas (quillracer) | 2313 comments Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch series, starting with The Black Echo.
James Lee Burke's Dave Robicheaux series starting with The Neon Rain.

message 8: by Rhian (new)

Rhian (rhianlovesbooksx1f4d6) | 352 comments tess gerritsen and karin slaughter are both very good

Stephanie Hutabarat | 1093 comments I agree with you Rhian. I love Tess, Karin and Peter James.

message 10: by Rhian (new)

Rhian (rhianlovesbooksx1f4d6) | 352 comments i've read a few peter james too and its very good

message 11: by Malina (new)

Malina | 2787 comments I also liked the Steig Larson series and the Michael Connelly Lincoln Lawyer series

message 12: by A.G. (new)

A.G. (rockinghorse) | 75 comments Colin Dexter, the creator the 'Inspector Morse' books would be a very good start. I agree with each and every other author that have been mentioned. However, Colin Dexter could well be the best writer in many years.
A.G.

message 13: by Alli (new)

Alli (akwinot) I went out and bought Stieg Larsson's books. Hopefully I won't regret it. Thanks guys. :3

message 14: by Malina (new)

Malina | 2787 comments Alli wrote: "I went out and bought Stieg Larsson's books. Hopefully I won't regret it. Thanks guys. :3"

I'm sure you will like them, the first one starts of a bit slow, but don't give up after that you won't be able to put it down!

message 15: by Carmen (new)

Carmen | 2477 comments It's a great series Alli. Try to read them one right after the other. I found taking a break between books made it a harder read. I had to keep going back to the previous book to refresh my memory. But then, maybe that's just me. :)

A word of caution. Some people I know find it really slow going in the second book (fire-I didn't, but I just might be really weird!) If this happens to you, keep pushing through. Trust me, you'll be glad you did!

message 16: by Alli (new)

Alli (akwinot) I'll try and read them one after another. Move in day is next Saturday, and Monday after that school/work starts. So I'll probably be reading these, plus at least one other fun book and then the rest for classes. :)

But I'll be starting the first one very soon, now or tonight after work.