Books Made Me Broke discussion

General Book Talk & Discussion > What Is A Good-Sized Book To You?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenn, The Jaguar (new)

Jenn Harris (Reader of Things) | 830 comments Mod
Under 300 pages? Over 400? What do you consider a "long" or "short" book?

Personally, anything under about 300 I consider "short", and anything over around 450 I generally consider "long".

coconutsnbutts (♫ נєѕѕι¢α  ♪) | 201 comments Mod
To me, anything under 350 is short and anything over 500 hundred is long.

message 3: by Bookishlor (new)

Bookishlor I agree. But I think it also depends on the style of writing. Classics or John Grisham type novels always seem 'long' to me vs. newer novels with similar page count I can read in a day. I would call those 'short'. For example, I have a 350 pager on my nightstand now which I know will be done by tomorrow. It's just a fast read. You don't get overwhelmed with descriptions and language.

coconutsnbutts (♫ נєѕѕι¢α  ♪) | 201 comments Mod
That's very true, Lauren.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I think that around 400 to 500 is good but at the same time some stories are made to be short while others may feel dragged if they are too long but I think around 400

message 6: by Lina (new)

Lina (booksnotlovers) Any book under 300 pages is for me a short book. A long book depends on the style of writing. For example. I've read Shantaram, which is amazing, with 900 pages, and it didn't feel very long. But Les Misérables with ca the same page count feels like a bloody brick. It's more about writing style for me. (But when Nicholas Sparks comes with 170 pages and dare to call it a novel, I protested heavily).

message 7: by Jojobean (new)

Jojobean A good page number is between 300 and 425 pages. Its enough to give information on the book and to flesh out the characters

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) I think 300 to 400 pages is a good length. It's got to have some substance, and fit right in my hands. :)