What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. ended up on an island with a blind boy

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chelle (new)

Chelle So I had to have read this book between the years '04-'06. All I can really remember is these kids, I think there was a girl, and there was a boy who was friends with and helped this other boy who was blind. I remember them being in a boat out at sea, I think there was a storm and they had to abandon the boat for a smaller one. They end up on an island. I'm trying to think if there was an old man in this book, may have been. I believe there was a cave on this island. I don't remember much of the events that happened on the island or how the book ends.

message 2: by inaword (new)

inaword | 129 comments The Cay has a blind boy and an old man stranded on an island after a shipwreck.

Gordon Korman's Island series has a group of boys and girls briefly stranded out to sea on a life raft after a shipwreck and they end up on an island. No blind boy though.

message 3: by bookel (last edited Aug 23, 2013 06:38PM) (new)

bookel | 2108 comments The cay by Theodore Taylor. Sequel: Timothy of the cay.

Perhaps more likely:

Eye in the storm by Judy Nunn.

message 4: by bookel (last edited Aug 23, 2013 09:37PM) (new)

bookel | 2108 comments Eye in the Storm
Judy Nunn

Stranded on a remote island after a storm Jeremy senses that there are men, huts and boats at the island. Jeremy is blind but has developed the power to "travel" and "see" what his sister, Pal and cousin, Peter cannot. What is the secret of the island and how will the children manage?

If you like that, the sequel is: Eye in the City.

message 5: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6980 comments Mod
Timothy of the Cay the first clicky for BKL's addendum to Ren's suggestion. Eye In The Storm for the second suggestion.

message 6: by Chelle (new)

Chelle It could be Eye in the Storm, I want to find more specific details from scenes in the book to be sure.

message 7: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Let us know after you've checked it out Michelle. We do love to ID books, and add them to the group bookshelf.

message 8: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2108 comments Michelle, simply do a Google search. The author has an excerpt I recall on her website. There were several different cover editions (try Google images, put title and author in quotes) but no guarantees you'll find the cover you recall.

message 9: by Chelle (new)

Chelle I'm starting to think that it was Eye in the Storm because it does mention that he has a sister and a cousin and I do remember there being another boy and a girl. The cover of the book still doesn't look familiar to me.

message 10: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2108 comments The editions I originally read, I cannot
find covers for online. It's
published with different covers multiple times. Just get a copy and re read. Abe.com or other secondhand bookseller sites should have copies.

message 11: by bookel (last edited Nov 01, 2013 06:41PM) (new)

bookel | 2108 comments I stand by my 'more likely' suggestion of Eye in the Storm by Judy Nunn. It is definitely not The Cay by Theodore Taylor as that doesn't include the sister and cousin. It is not Stranded by Matt Christopher as that's a boy who's blind, alone with his dog on a tropical island.
This is the cover of my currently owned Scholastic copy of Eye in the Storm, but it isn't the original, I don't think (not sure as I can't check, but it was the 1989 edition which was the year after original publication) ... I've seen multiple covers released by Scholastic and I like them less and less the more recent they are. I think an earlier cover (may have been one I owned first) had an eye on the cover, dark clouds and maybe a boat, but it's hard to recall. (Actually no, I was misremembering the cover which is actually the sequel cover.)

http://www.judynunn.com.au/EX_eye_in_...
Author's webpage with a more recent cover and a few excerpts and summary.

There are way more cover versions than those; you just aren't going to find them online unless someone puts them up.

If you're having trouble finding a copy, let me know and I'll keep an eye out for one in a charity shop for you. I didn't check until now to see how ridiculously hard it is to find a copy online.

message 12: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Some books ARE ridiculously hard to find on-line (or anywhere, for that matter.) I've been trying to find a (reasonably priced) copy of The Magic Meadow for years without any luck. I found a site where I was able to get a .pdf copy, but I want the actual BOOK. Sigh, some books are just either too loved (or maybe too hated) to be found easily.

message 13: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2108 comments Keep searching for it Ann. I got a copy a couple years ago of The Magic Meadow, but even then the prices were a bit much to me (less than what they are now though).

message 14: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Another book I've been searching for for years is a very rare (privately published, and only a few hundred copies printed) book by my favourite author, Andre Norton. In my entire reading life (over 50 years) I've seen exactly ONE copy of this book--and that was about 10 years ago, when the owner (a rare book dealer) wanted almost $500 for it (and that was without the dust jacket--I don't even want to think what he'd have wanted if it had had the dust jacket.) And I knew that my husband's response to my spending a car payment's worth of cash on a book. But I still search, hoping that some day I'll get really lucky and find a copy of it at a thrift store or used bookstore where they don't know how rare it is.

message 15: by bookel (last edited Jun 25, 2014 01:56AM) (new)

bookel | 2108 comments I still think it was Eye in the Storm by Judy Nunn. Did you find it to read? There's a copy on ebay.com.au I notice.

message 16: by SparksofEmber (new)

SparksofEmber | 943 comments Michelle, are you still looking for this book? Was it Eye in the Storm?

message 17: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37562 comments Mod
The OP left the group. Moving to Abandoned.