What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Sci-fi/Fantasy: A Preacher and his companion travel to another world [s]

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brian (new)

Brian Griffin | 4 comments Wanted to recommend a book that I enjoyed to a friend and can't remember the title. I read the book about a year ago at the library. It was a new book that they just received but I don't know if it was recently published.

Book starts out with a preacher escaping his small village and heading to London? maybe. Here he meets a woman that was crippled as a child and then was adopted by the father of the boy that ran her over with his father's car. The woman is very capable and technically proficient. In addition to having leg issues from the accident she also is very light sensitive and has to wear dark goggles or glasses all the time. They proceed on a journey to a small primative tropical island (in the Pacific?) to spread the word and convert people.

Spoilers about the best parts of the story below

(view spoiler)

Hopefully I've provided enough for someone to recognize the story. I can provide more detail about the story but I don't remember anyone's names. Thanks in advance for any help.

message 2: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Brian--no idea what this is, but it will definitely be joining Iftcan's TBR mountain range as soon as it is ID'ed.

Do you remember what the cover looked like? And was it hard cover or paperback when you read it at the library? My library has both kinds, so thought I'd ask, since usually the paperbacks have a slightly older (like a year or two) publishing date than the hardbacks.

message 3: by Brian (new)

Brian Griffin | 4 comments It was a hardcover book. Dark colors on the cover -reds, blues, black. Kinda Victorian England feel to it. People on the cover are part of the aliens in the book. Reading the book I kinda pictured the major alien race in the book as bugs along the lines of Starship Troopers but without all the nastiness.

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35178 comments Mod
Do you recall if the characters were referred to as a "preacher" and "shaman" in the book (as opposed to minister, missionary, priest, sorcerer, medicine man, etc.)?

message 5: by Brian (new)

Brian Griffin | 4 comments Shaman yes. I think it was preacher or pastor most of the time. I kind of remember some narrative mention of missionary work that he was doing. I don't think he was actually referred too as a missionary either by himself or any other characters. I've been racking my brain for a name of any of the characters. I don't know why I remember the story so well but not any of the characters names.

message 6: by Kris (new)

No worries. Character names often get mixed up in our memories. I find having accurate keywords (like shaman) help the most.

message 7: by Kris (new)

I think it's A Red Sun Also Rises by Mark Hodder.

message 8: by Brian (new)

Brian Griffin | 4 comments Awesome that's the book. Thanks a lots Kris.

message 9: by Kris (new)

Happy to help Brian. (That's a great avatar. :) This story sounds interesting. I really should read more steampunk.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

A Red Sun Also Rises (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Mark Hodder (other topics)