Vaginal Fantasy Book Club discussion

Aug 2013: Assassins in Love > Post Questions and comments for Tuesdays hangout!

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Felicia, Grand Duchess (new)

Felicia (feliciaday) | 740 comments Mod
What do you want us to discuss and Assassins in Love?! Post here!

message 2: by Jane (new)

Jane Higginson | 180 comments I really enjoyed Assassins in love, I loved Rikki I thought she was a great character and we got to see both a strong and sexy side and also a vulnerable side which made for an interesting story, I liked Misha he could be a little arrogant and cocky at times but not all the time we saw other sides to him too. I liked the world I wish that the author had expanded on it a little more.
Did anyone else want Rikki's apartment? I sure did I loved the description of it especially the hidden room with love seat and weapons lining all the walls I so want that! Would be like one of my swg houses or skyrim houses lol
Felicia your character Tallis in the da2 dlc and the web series da redemption was an assassin - couldnt we see a novel/comic all about her adventures one day ?! Pretty please ?! lol ( a girls gotta try right - especially as the topic this month is assassins!!)

message 3: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay | 132 comments If you were an assassin....

What would your alias be?
What weapons and/or combat style would you use?
Would you be a Guild member or be a rogue?

message 4: by Eliste (new)

Eliste | 111 comments Did you feel that the false rape allegations in Assissins in Love were handled well/badly? Do you feel the author should have dealt with the seriousness of the issue more?

message 5: by Kamil (new)

Kamil | 938 comments Misha is as assasin, so obviously laws don't bind him, but don't you think he should have some ethics ( the whole sleep-thing), or it is just me that likes righteous assasins?

what did you think of the world-building? have you ever thought someone you know could be the member of an assasins guild?

message 6: by Katy (new)

Katy | 14 comments It was so great to read a novel where neither the man nor the woman were controlling the other. They were both strong powerful intelligent people who were in a relationship, and that was really refreshing. No seduction, no "rapey-ness", no power plays. Just two people hopelessly attracted to each other and figuring it out. Awesome

message 7: by Whitney (new)

Whitney | 221 comments I posted this in the discussion for the book to all members of the group, but I'd be interested too if any of the VF hangout ladies were able to answer this too.

In "Born of Night" I read the intro from the author in my copy of the book and I noticed she mentioned that in my version (2009 is the copyright inside) she returned original scenes to the book that were left out in the original release because they were deemed too harsh for the market at the time of original publication. Has anyone read both versions and have any comments on this? Did you feel the re-added parts were too harsh? Did they make or break the story in anyway or at least add anything to it?

message 8: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 18 comments I enjoyed reading Born of Night but there were times that I really wanted to smack Kiara. Am I alone in this feeling? She really should have figured out the whole "my life has been very different from his" thing before she did. Then finding out she is pregnant but deciding to go back on stage to dance because she makes that choice while she is mad, and getting even with him seems lack of judgement for her safety and the baby's.

message 9: by Kamil (last edited Aug 26, 2013 09:57AM) (new)

Kamil | 938 comments Do you think being a trained assasin, enchancess the bed performances or you think some cybernetic augements were involved or there was a horny replicant?

message 10: by Gary (new)

Gary 1. OK, Assassins in Love is a goofy title. Fun on a certain level but... really? If YOU were going to put a title on it, what would it be?

2. Let's say you are the subject of your own VF book. What is the title of the VF book starring YOU? What is the setting? What is your character? Who is the romantic interest? Casting, character, career?

message 11: by James (new)

James | 108 comments This goes in line with casting:

For the movies of both Assassins in Love and Born of Night, who should sing the love themes?

Because obviously both would have a signature love song a la "My Heart Will Go On" or "Everything I Do, I Do It For You".

message 12: by Lila (new)

Lila Lockhart (lilalockhart) | 62 comments For Born of Night, do you think Nykyrian was partly attracted to Kiara because he knew she was royalty?

message 13: by Katie (new)

Katie (katie_jones) | 348 comments Gary wrote: "1. OK, Assassins in Love is a goofy title. Fun on a certain level but... really? If YOU were going to put a title on it, what would it be?
"

I 2nd Gary's question!

message 14: by Lili (new)

Lili (zombeebonita) | 11 comments Where are your favorite places to read these types of books and when do you prefer reading them?

I know I always have several books on the go at a time, a bedtime book, a subway (commute) read, and an audiobook for on the go and when I'm doing house chores to name a few.

These were my before bed reads. Easy to read after a long (sometimes stressful) day and didn't take too much thought.

message 15: by Lili (new)

Lili (zombeebonita) | 11 comments Follow up question:

If you read before bed do you find your dreams take on some of the content?

message 16: by Rose (new)

Rose Butler (rosevbutler) | 17 comments Do you prefer realistic (yet still hot) sex scenes, or do you want it to be "perfect"?

message 17: by Crissy (new)

Crissy Moss (crissymoss) Just watched the video and you guys talked about why an author would use a pen name. I thought I'd throw my two cents in.

We authors use pen names a lot. Sometimes in order to genre hop, though this is not as necessary anymore. Authors, like actors and actresses, get type cast and publishers wouldn't publish something by an author in a different genre. It's carried over, but some authors are now breaking out and refusing to be type cast. Rowlin used a pen name to get past her type casting, and avoid the negative criticism attached to her name.

Publishers also limited writers to one book a year, so some writers, like Stephen King, would take a pen name so they could publish more then one book.

Then there are gender bias in a lot of genres. Male authors who write erotica often use female or neuter pen names, and women who write in science fiction, or military (male dominated genres) usually take neuter or male names.

Another reason is just to be anonymous, or if you really don't like your name. I've also seen a few chose a pen name to get closer to the "A" section in the card catalog.

Pen names are incredibly common among authors. I considered using one myself, but ultimately decided against it.