Short & Sweet Treats discussion

Archives > A - Z Author's Name Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 83 (83 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Nancy from NJ (last edited Aug 23, 2013 02:02PM) (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) Challenges are often found in many of the Goodread folders. They are often fun for those of us who love lists or a way to decrease our to be read lists or to find out what other members are reading.

They are not a must for our group but just a good way to keep track of what you read either fitting them into a challenge or reading a particular book as part of a challenge.

This challenge if you're interested asks you to read a book and fill in the author's name in a list from A to Z. You can use either the first name or the last name. But you can only use the name once.

EX: Me Before You by Jojo Moyes

You could use the name Jojo for the letter J or Moyes for the letter M. But once you use the author's name remember it can't be used again. This is relatively easy for most letters but watch out for letters X,Y and Z.

This will last one year from today's date so hurry up and finish those books.

message 2: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) Copy the form below and fill in the author's names as you finish a book. This challenge will last for one year.

CHALLENGE : A TO Z AUTHOR'S NAME CHALLENGE
DURATION: August 23, 2013 - August 22, 2014

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z

message 3: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

LaLaLa Laura  (laurabhoffman) | 4443 comments Mod
sign me up. I love this idea!

message 4: by Laurie (last edited Aug 04, 2014 10:04PM) (new)

Laurie LAURIE'S PAGE

CHALLENGE:A TO Z AUTHOR'S NAME CHALLENGE
DURATION:August 23,2013-August 22,2014

A Margaret Atwood, The Handmaid's Tale
B Patricia Bracewell, Shadow on the Crown
C Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower
D Darcey Bonnette, The Tudor Princess
E Elizabeth Gaskell, North and South
F F Scott Fitzgerald, The Offshore Pirate
G Charlotte Perkins Gilman, The Yellow Wallpaper
H Pamela Hicks, Daughter of Empire: Life as a Mountbatten
I Ian McEwan, Atonement
J Sebastian Junger, A World Made of Blood
K Kate Chopin, The Awakening
L Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
M Margaret Mitchell, Gone with the Wind
N
O Emmuska Orzy, The Scarlet Pimpernel
P Oliver Potzsch, The Hangman's Daughter
Q
R Kenneth Roberts, Arundel
S Sally Armstrong, The Nine Lives of Charlotte Taylor
T Mark Twain, The Diaries of Adam and Eve
U
V
W Elissa Wald, The Secret Lives of Married Women
X Xinran, Sky Burial
Y
Z

message 5: by Anil (new)

Anil (loykalina) | 69 comments May I join, too? An I wrong to assume that I can start adding authors whose books I have finished reading on 24 August and after?

message 6: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) Of course you can join in Anil. And yes, begin with authors you've read since August 23rd.

And do find the folder for Books Read in August under Book Statistics and include all that you read for the month. At the end of December members can take this list and then choose from it their top ten books, their new to me author books, top ten dislikes and so on.

message 7: by Anil (new)

Anil (loykalina) | 69 comments Thank you, Nancy. I'll add books to the thread you mentioned as soon as I finish books. (Only 40+ pages left to finish the first one.)

message 8: by Anil (last edited Jun 21, 2014 06:59PM) (new)

Anil (loykalina) | 69 comments I hope you won't mind me adding my list:

ANIL'S PAGE

A Mansfield Park by Jane Austen
B Fun Home by Alison Bechdel
C Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad
D The Pickwick Papers by Charles Dickens
E Xingu by Edith Wharton
F The Last of the Mohicans by James Fenimore Cooper
G Middlemarch by George Eliot
H Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe
I
J The Passion by Jeanette Winterson
K Kim by Rudyard Kipling
L Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
M The Road by Cormac McCarthy
N
O Fracture by Ann Oakley
P Regeneration by Pat Barker
Q
R The Artificial Princess by Ronald Firbank
S Sleeping with Dogs: A Peripheral Autobiography by Brian Sewell
T The Accidental Tourist by Anne Tyler
U
V
W Oblivion: Stories by David Foster Wallace
X
Y
Z

18 down, 8 to go.

message 9: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) Everybody is welcome to post their challenge page. This is a very inclusive group!!!!

message 10: by LaLaLa Laura (last edited Sep 22, 2013 09:15AM) (new)

LALALAURA'S PAGE

A - Craig Anderson - Getting Lucky
B
C
Deborah Hautzig - Hey Dollface
E
F
G
H Nathaniel Hawthorne - Young Goodman Brown
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z

message 11: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) Laura - I set up a page for you message #5 - should I delete it?

message 12: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

idk. I thought I had to copy and paste it on a new comment cuz I can't edit yours

message 13: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) Yes. I thought you wanted me to setup a page for you but that's all right, I just deleted that page.

message 14: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

I edited my entry. it's not too late to join In. we have a year to complete the challenge!

message 15: by Anil (new)

Anil (loykalina) | 69 comments I have just edited my list. 3 down, 23 to go.

message 16: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

nice job Anil! yayy

message 17: by Anil (new)

Anil (loykalina) | 69 comments Thanks, Laura. It could have been better, but Kim by Kipling took longer than I thought. I realised that I don't know anything about India especially colonial India. That is why I couldn't enjoy the book as much as I thought. I'll give it another chance after reading some books on India and British colonialism there.

message 18: by Samantha (last edited Dec 30, 2013 03:25AM) (new)

Samantha Arnold (nahteeraisamanthaarnold) SAMMY'S PAGE

A
B
C - Cassandra Clare - City of Fallen Angels
D - Derrolyn Anderson - The Turning Tides
E
F - Flynn Meaney - Bloodthirsty
G - John Green - Looking For Alaska
H - Cindy M. Hogan - First Kiss
I
J - Jack Chaucer - Streaks of Blue
K - Kristin Cashore - Bitterblue
L
M - Missy Marciassa - Covert Assignment
N
O
P
Q
R
S - Sarah Mlynowski - Ten Things We Did (and Probably Shouldn't Have)
T - Tamara Ireland Stone - Time After Time
U
V
W
X
Y
Z

message 19: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

hows everyone doing with this?
I am not having the best trading month thus far

message 20: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

I mean reading. LOL.

message 21: by Anil (new)

Anil (loykalina) | 69 comments I am not doing well, either. I am about to finish only the second book this month.:-/

message 22: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresatheterrible) | 44 comments Just checking...I've made an A-Z list of TITLES...not authors names. Can we use that? I suppose I could always go back through and keep my fingers crossed that by some miracle, all the authors of the books I've already chosen will fit the alphabet challenge, but I somehow doubt it lol. Just checking! :-)

message 23: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

hi Teresa. I like that idea.
we can make a separate thread of a to z titles if you like.!

message 24: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

let me know if u need help setting it up.

would anyone else want to participate in an a to z Title challenge?

message 25: by Anil (new)

Anil (loykalina) | 69 comments I would. Will we be able to use the books that we will add to A-Z Author's Name Challenge?

message 26: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

sure! I can set something up later today

message 27: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

Anil wrote: "I would. Will we be able to use the books that we will add to A-Z Author's Name Challenge?"

Teresa wrote: "Just checking...I've made an A-Z list of TITLES...not authors names. Can we use that? I suppose I could always go back through and keep my fingers crossed that by some miracle, all the authors of t..."

I created a widget on our group home page under Books we are reading.

It's a fairly new feature of goodreads from what I understand, so if you have any questions, let me know.

Thank you!

message 28: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) LaLaLa Laura wrote: "hows everyone doing with this?
I am not having the best trading month thus far"

This takes time Laura and unless you choose titles to fit it can be a challenge especially with certain letters.

I began this challenge on January 1st and in some cases many of the letters from my reading can have several answers. We only enter one author per letter. on other groups as well.

message 29: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) Laura said, "I created a widget on our group home page under Books we are reading."

With 26 letters I would assume that there will be 26 books read. I'm not sure what the purpose o the widget is for this challenge. I know widget are used for open ended challenges where you set a number and then meet it and change it or don't.

message 30: by Danaë (new)

Danaë | 125 comments Nancy wrote: I'm not sure what the purpose o the widget is..."

Personally I love the widgets! I'm a very visual person, and I like to see the progress bar travel along. :)

message 31: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

thank u danaë! :)

message 32: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) I don't see a progress bar. I just put in the number of books I'm going to read. I know that there is a way of putting in something called ticker - is that what you're referring to.

message 33: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) I just did see the progress bar - never even realized it was there. It's great how much one can learn from these groups.

message 34: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

oh good glad u found it!

message 35: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Arnold (nahteeraisamanthaarnold) LaLaLa Laura wrote: "hows everyone doing with this?
I am not having the best trading month thus far"

I'm getting a ton of books. Now the amount of time reading I get is a bit different. :/ I wish I had more time but school has really gotten harder this year. :/

message 36: by Julia (last edited Jan 13, 2014 04:41AM) (new)

Julia (juliastrimer) Thanks for this interesting challenge! :-)

A- The Little Prince by Antoine St. Exupery
B- The Diving Bell and the Butterfly: A Memoir of Life in Death by Jean-Dominique Bauby
C- The Girl Who Soared Over Fairyland and Cut the Moon in Two by Catherynne M. Valente
D- Teaching a Stone to Talk: Expeditions and Encounters by Annie Dillard
E- The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating by Elisabeth Tova Bailey
F- The Woman Who Died a Lot by Jasper Fforde
G- Gris Grimly's Frankenstein by Gris Grimly
H- The Man in the Picture by Susan Hill
I- Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
J- Some Kind Of Fairy Tale by Graham Joyce
K- The Snowflake by Kenneth Libbrecht
L- The Last Dragon Chronicles Complete Set, Books 1 5: The Fire Within, Icefire, Fire Star, The Fire Eternal, And Dark Fire by Chris d'Lacey
M- Beloved by Toni Morrison
N- The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman
O- Anam Cara: A Book of Celtic Wisdom by John O'Donohue
P- The Chemistry of Tears by Peter Carey
Q- Marie Curie. by Susan Quinn
R- The House of Hades by Rick Riordan
S- Cannery Row by John Steinbeck
T- The Testament of Mary by Colm Tobin
U- The Lathe of Heaven by Ursula le Guin
V- 2BR02B by Kurt Vonnegut
W- Unbowed by Wangari Maathai
X- Apology of Socrates by Xenophon
Y- Earth from Above by Yann Arthus-Bertrand
Z-The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

message 37: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

looks good, Julie!

message 38: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Arnold (nahteeraisamanthaarnold) How's everyone going?

message 39: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

I haven't out my author names together yet. I'm curious to see how everyone is doing on this!

thanks Sammy!

message 40: by Julia (last edited Nov 09, 2013 10:16AM) (new)

Julia (juliastrimer) I'm very excited to have found Xenophon. I've studied and taught Plato's "Apology", and I'm looking forward to reading Xenephon's account, which is only 28 pages long.

message 41: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

oh thanks, Julia! we have an "X!"

message 42: by Julia (last edited Nov 09, 2013 10:45AM) (new)

Julia (juliastrimer) Yes, and I just found it for free online :-) http://www.mckinley.k12.hi.us/ebooks/...
It's quite short, but I found this comment to be so very human:

"And now if my age is still to be prolonged, I know that I cannot escape paying the penalty of old age, in increasing dimness of sight and dullness of hearing. I shall find myself slower to learn new lessons, and apter to forget the lessons I have learnt. And if to these be added the consciousness of failing powers, the sting of self reproach, what prospect have I of any further joy in living? It may
be, you know," he added, "that God out of his great kindness is intervening in my behalf to suffer me to close my life in the ripeness of age, and by the gentlest of deaths. For if at this time sentence of death be passed upon me, it is plain I shall be allowed to meet an end which, in the opinion of those who have studied the matter, is not only the easiest in itself, but one which will cause the least trouble to one's friends, while engendering the deepest longing for the departed. For of necessity he will only be thought of with regret and longing who leaves nothing behind unseemly or discomfortable to haunt the imagination of those beside him, but, sound of body, and his soul still capable of friendly repose, fades tranquilly away."

How well this goes with Plato's Phaedo, which tells of Socrates' death. Here's the section that would often bring some students to tears (Socrates has just been given the cup of hemlock):

"Then raising the cup to his lips, quite readily and cheerfully he drank off the poison. And hitherto most of us had been able to control our sorrow; but now when we saw him drinking, and saw too that he had finished the draught, we could no longer forbear, and in spite of myself my own tears were flowing fast; so that I covered my face and wept, not for him, but at the thought of my own calamity in having to part from such a friend. Nor was I the first; for Crito, when he found himself unable to restrain his tears, had got up, and I followed; and at that moment, Apollodorus, who had been weeping all the time, broke out in a loud and passionate cry which made cowards of us all. Socrates alone retained his calmness: What is this strange outcry? he said. I sent away the women mainly in order that they might not misbehave in this way, for I have been told that a man should die in peace. Be quiet, then, and have patience. When we heard his words we were ashamed, and refrained our tears; and he walked about until, as he said, his legs began to fail, and then he lay on his back, according to the directions, and the man who gave him the poison now and then looked at his feet and legs; and after a while he pressed his foot hard, and asked him if he could feel; and he said, No; and then his leg, and so upwards and upwards, and showed us that he was cold and stiff. And he felt them himself, and said: When the poison reaches the heart, that will be the end. He was beginning to grow cold about the groin, when he uncovered his face, for he had covered himself up, and said--they were his last words--he said: Crito, I owe a cock to Asclepius; will you remember to pay the debt? The debt shall be paid, said Crito; is there anything else? There was no answer to this question; but in a minute or two a movement was heard, and the attendants uncovered him; his eyes were set, and Crito closed his eyesand mouth.

Such was the end, Echecrates, of our friend; concerning whom I may truly say, that of all the men of his time whom I have known, he was the wisest and justest and best."

(His final request was to ask a friend to sacrifice a cock to Asclepius, the god of healing, as a way of thanking him for being delivered from the painful disease of life.)

message 43: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

ohhhh! thanks Julia!!

message 44: by Diana S (last edited Dec 27, 2013 11:57PM) (new)

Diana S CHALLENGE : A TO Z AUTHOR'S NAME CHALLENGE
DURATION: December 1, 2013 - August 22, 2014
Books Read: 8/26
Updated: 12/27/13

A
B
C
D
Evans, Richard Paul - The Locket (12/2/13)
Fluke, Joanne - Sugar Cookie Murder (12/10/13)
Gray, Shelley Shepard - Christmas in Sugarcreek: A Seasons of Sugarcreek Christmas Novel (12/21/13)
H
I
J
Keller, Cynthia - An Amish Gift: A Novel (12/4/13)
L
McLaughlan, David - The Top 40 Traditions of Christmas: The Story Behind the Nativity, Candy Canes, Caroling, and All Things Christmas (12/3/13)
N
O
Perry, Marta - Naomi's Christmas (12/22/13)
Q
Reid, Ruth - The Promise of an Angel (12/20/13)
S
Taylor, Patrick - An Irish Country Christmas (12/13/13)
U
V
W
X
Y
Z

Authors Bookshelf
The Locket (Christmas Box Trilogy) by Richard Paul Evans The Top 40 Traditions of Christmas The Story Behind the Nativity, Candy Canes, Caroling, and All Things Christmas by David McLaughlan An Amish Gift A Novel by Cynthia Keller Sugar Cookie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #6) by Joanne Fluke An Irish Country Christmas (Irish Country #3) by Patrick Taylor The Promise of an Angel (Heaven On Earth, #1) by Ruth Reid Christmas in Sugarcreek A Seasons of Sugarcreek Christmas Novel by Shelley Shepard Gray Naomi's Christmas (Pleasant Valley #7) by Marta Perry

message 45: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

nice job, Diana!

message 46: by Anil (new)

Anil (loykalina) | 69 comments 8 months and 21 days to go and I have completed half of the challenge. My aim is to finish the challenge by the end of April.

message 47: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

Hi Anil! hope you have been well. You can do it :)

message 48: by Anil (new)

Anil (loykalina) | 69 comments Hi, Laura! Thanks, things have gotten better. Hope you are well! I think I can do taking into account there are 20 novels to read for the second term.:-) Happy New Year, by the way.

message 49: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

you too Anil. I wish you and your family a happy and healthy new year! I am glad to hear things have gotten better.

message 50: by Anil (new)

Anil (loykalina) | 69 comments 15 down, 11 to go! I hope I'll be able to complete the list before my 30th birthday, which is on 26 June. :)

« previous 1