What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Faces of Ceti
This topic is about The Faces of Ceti
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. This book is about a colony on some planet that came from Earth over three hundred years ago. [s]

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Rashika (is tired) (rashikathebookowl) | 10 comments So this book has a 17 year old female and a 16 year old male for a protagnist.
Basically they live on a planet really far away and the people that live there originally came from Earth over three hundred years ago.
They are searching the planet for other food sources (or something like that) as their own supply dwindles and these two end up getting lost. They go in the deep depths of this planet and meet the 'aliens'. People have build them up to be really scary but they aren't. They are kind of like kangaroos (if I can remember correctly).
I also remember the 16 year old had a crush on the 17 year old and they had been friends for a while.

I read this book in 2007 or 2008 but I don't think it was published around that time.

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37809 comments Mod
Rashika, are you still looking for this book?

Rashika (is tired) (rashikathebookowl) | 10 comments Yeah.. .-.
I never did find it

message 4: by Michele (last edited Jul 06, 2014 04:10PM) (new)

Michele | 2357 comments Rashika, when did you read it (what year), and do you recall if it was an old or new book at the time? Was it a YA book or aimed more at adults? Do you remember anything about the cover? Do you recall why the colony was only just now running out of food after 300 successful years?

Rashika (is tired) (rashikathebookowl) | 10 comments I read it in 2007 or 08 and it was a library copy but I do remember it being old..

The cover was orange. I remember that. And I think the author's last name started with a b or a c.

I cannot quite remember why they were but I think one of the reasons was that they were too afraid to look for more resources because the habitants of the planet scared them?

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Still looking?

Rashika (is tired) (rashikathebookowl) | 10 comments Yup!!!

message 8: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Dacyczyn (readsintrees) | 264 comments Some guesses that are probably all a stretch:

"Enchantress From the Stars" by Sylvia Engdahl

"Across the Universe" by Beth Revis

"The Keeper of the Isis Light" by Monica Hughes

Rashika (is tired) (rashikathebookowl) | 10 comments The Keeper of the Light sounds somewhat similar to the book I was thinking of but neither of these books are it. Thank you for your help though

message 11: by Rafi (new)

Rafi Snowden | 101 comments how old do you think the book might be?

Rashika (is tired) (rashikathebookowl) | 10 comments Most likely early 2000s? Maybe late 90s

message 13: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 6 comments Could it be cats instead of Kangaroos? Sounds similar to a book I kept looking for called Alien Child by Pamela Sargent.

message 14: by Kris (new)

Kris | 33485 comments Mod
Alien Child by Pamela Sargent mentioned by Leslie

Rashika (is tired) (rashikathebookowl) | 10 comments Leslie wrote: "Could it be cats instead of Kangaroos? Sounds similar to a book I kept looking for called Alien Child by Pamela Sargent."

Unfortunately not :( It might not even be kangaroos though. I could just have a bad memory. I do remember though that the MC doesn't grow up in isolation and has a family and stuff. They don't discover alien life on the planet they are inhabiting until the main characters "go on an adventure"

message 16: by SparksofEmber (new)

SparksofEmber | 943 comments Any chance it could be Aquifer? It doesn't match everything you are looking for but: It's a future dystopian world with little water- the boy goes deep underground with a few others to get water from the "Rats"- supposedly people who live underground and have de-evolved. Only they aren't "rats", they're perfectly normal.

message 17: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilareads) | 100 comments This might be a stretch, but: Dark Eden?

Rashika (is tired) (rashikathebookowl) | 10 comments Sheila wrote: "This might be a stretch, but: Dark Eden?"

SparksofEmber wrote: "Any chance it could be Aquifer? It doesn't match everything you are looking for but: It's a future dystopian world with little water- the boy goes deep underground with a few others..."

Thanks guys! It's not either though because I read the book in 2007 or 2008 :(

message 19: by Rafi (new)

Rafi Snowden | 101 comments This doesn't quite fit but I'll toss it out here anyway, Starman Jones by Heinlein. A space ship makes an emergency landing on an unknown planet, and the two teen MCs are captured by horse-like aliens. Starman Jones

message 20: by Sarah (last edited Jul 15, 2016 06:36AM) (new)

Sarah Winters | 130 comments Also might be a stretch: Grass by Sheri S. Tepper

message 21: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Still looking now?

Rashika (is tired) (rashikathebookowl) | 10 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Still looking now?"

Yup!!! I will probably be looking forever, ha!

message 23: by Ayshe (new)

Rashika (is tired) (rashikathebookowl) | 10 comments Ayshe wrote: "The Faces of Ceti maybe?"

YES YES YES YES YES!!! OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I've been looking for over a decade and I finally found the book. THANK YOUUU