Gone Girl Gone Girl discussion

Affleck as Nick Dunne

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Annemarie Donahue So I was actually pretty excited to see that Rosamund Pike got Amy. Pike was opposite Depp in _The Libertine_, and she seemed comfortable playing intensity. But I got to confess I couldn't have been happier to see that Affleck was going to be Nick Dunne. Not only is he exactly what I thought Dunne would physically look like but I think Affleck is going to give a terrific performance.

Now if we can just convince him he's NOT Batman!

Sherin Punnilath Good choice!

L.F. Falconer That should be a good pairing. I hope the movie can live up to the book.

Simone Affleck - good casting!

message 5: by JO (new) - rated it 5 stars

JO Annemarie wrote: "So I was actually pretty excited to see that Rosamund Pike got Amy. Pike was opposite Depp in _The Libertine_, and she seemed comfortable playing intensity. But I got to confess I couldn't have bee..."

I agree I think the casting is great. Ben can definitely play this part the duped husband, the cheater, and victim. Rosamond Pike can also play the divierse emotional spectrum of the female lead, cold and crazy and calculating and the cuckolded (can a woman be a cuckold or can it only be a male). Ya WHY ON EARTH would he take the part of Batman and lose all the credibility he has racked up lately!!! The only think I can think of is to get some money to finance a passion project.

Laura Elisabeth I was at first a little disappointed with Affleck casting as Nick, but is starting to warm on me. I can't wait for release, am I right in thinking it's going to be sometime in 2015?

Ngan Affleck as Nick! This is the first I've heard of it and I am absolutely LOVING it!

Tara Affleck got Nick? Wow...and he's going to be Batman. Not bad..I like some Affleck!

Yolande I was hoping Bradley Cooper for Nick Dunne, especially after seeing him in Silver Linings Playbook. He has such range as an actor.

Jamie I wanted James Ransone from Low Winter Sun and the Wire, I think it needed to be someone a little less well known.

message 11: by JO (new) - rated it 5 stars

JO Jamie wrote: "I wanted James Ransone from Low Winter Sun and the Wire, I think it needed to be someone a little less well known."

I agree an unknown would be best someone none of us already have preconceived notions about.

Bevin Kutluoglu Wow. Never figured Affleck to have so many fans. I was extraordinarily disappointed to see him cast as Nick. Once more, the film fails to live up to the book & it's not even out yet. Sorry gals, but he's my least fav actor on the planet. Bradley Cooper, on the other hand? He'd of been fabulous!

message 13: by Rue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rue Lumbroso I'm not a fan of Ben Affleck but I can see him as Nick, it's Rosamund Pike who I'm skeptical about, I couldn't help but picture Amy as Gwyneth Paltrow who David Fincher has worked with before.
That being said, if anyone can get a worthwhile performance from an actor it's Fincher.

Annemarie Donahue Raph wrote: "I'm not a fan of Ben Affleck but I can see him as Nick, it's Rosamund Pike who I'm skeptical about, I couldn't help but picture Amy as Gwyneth Paltrow who David Fincher has worked with before.
That..."

Gweneth Paltrow would have been stellar, she's really come into her talent. But while she's stunning, I fear she may be too old to play Amy. Granted, she's amazing looking, but audiences are unforgivingly agist.

message 15: by Rue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rue Lumbroso That's very true.
To be honest I'm just hoping the film is worthwhile because I initially read the book to see what on earth was keeping Fincher from his adaptation of The Girl who Played with Fire so if it's a let down I'll just be even more bitter about the delay.

Shina I love Ben Affleck but I really don't see him as Nick. I see Nick as Matt Damon- maybe? In the beginning of the book, Nick appears to be the psycho one and I think Matt Damon has the look of a psycho sometimes. As far as Amy- I do see Rosamond Pike but I also think Reese Witherspoon could play her as well.

Annemarie Donahue Raph wrote: "That's very true.
To be honest I'm just hoping the film is worthwhile because I initially read the book to see what on earth was keeping Fincher from his adaptation of The Girl who Played with Fire..."

Haha! Darn good point. Just happy to see David Fincher getting dark scary little stories again.

message 18: by Kate (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kate Diffley Reese Witherspoon Purchased the right.

Sofia I didn't even know a movie was going to be made from this awesome novel! I like Ben Affleck and I think he'll make a great Nick.

message 20: by Dibi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dibi Shina wrote: "I love Ben Affleck but I really don't see him as Nick. I see Nick as Matt Damon- maybe? In the beginning of the book, Nick appears to be the psycho one and I think Matt Damon has the look of a ps..."

You are so right, since I saw "The Talented Mr. Ripley" Matt Damon looks really creepy to me.

Nathaly 2015 can't come any sooner!!