Fiction Writers discussion

Welcome > Why do you write?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 81 (81 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Joshua (new)

Joshua (fignewto) | 2 comments Well, I write to experience the adventures I normally can't in everyday life. Let's face it, life can be a bit drab. However, in the world of books, it can be that adventure. So I put pieces of myself into each character, and write the story I would want to live.

message 2: by Yuki (new)

Yuki | 5 comments I write when I get an idea and think that would make a cool story and need to grab a pen and notebook and start writing. And then I think god I wish this was reality when I'm done writing.

message 3: by Vanessa Eden (new)

Vanessa  Eden Patton (vanessaeden) | 40 comments I write because it is an escape for me. it allows me to go into my world that I have control over. it is my freedom to live my alter ego.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I write because it's fun to think up plots, characters, characters traits and names, and just see others enjoying the finished result. And I love being proud of something that I really care about. And...it's a good way to spread awareness about causes in the world.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

And it's a way to express yourself. If you're shy, you can express yourself through a character from a story you wrote.

message 6: by Wade (new)

Wade Garret | 3 comments I answer that question on my blog:

http://wjgarret.blogspot.com/

message 7: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Sharp (margaretlynettesharp) | 2 comments I write because an idea pops into my head and I want to explore it. Situations interest me, and so do characters, and I particularly like to portray flawed characters. It's fun to pretend to be someone else, and work out their responses.

message 8: by Raymond (new)

Raymond Esposito | 4 comments Why do you write?

Because of these things that I see. Visions and scenery that become kaleidoscopes of color and textures. Because I see the splendour in this world. The great heights of joy and the deepest darkness of despair. This world that moves and changes around me with such speed that I oft worry it means to leave me behind or push me ahead. Because I feel the happiness and the sadness in Carol’s withered wreath of childhood flowers and because I too sigh alongside Frost where the two roads diverge in a wood.

Why do you write?
Because of these things that I feel. These invisible tendrils called love, that bind us to one another such that we do the most beautiful and horrible things. Our grandest moments of giving and sacrifice and our lowest desires of taking and hurting. They together rise before me like a brilliant and destructive sea. Golden arms of loyalty embracing that sick-green creature that jealously covets. Because often I feel nothing in the achievements of Men and feel everything in the eyes of a broken and battered animal.

Why do you write?
Because of these things I cannot understand. The paradox of an existence where the Divine dances with the Random. Where science can answer everything, but not the most important thing. Where gods love me and hate me. Where everything is my fault and I am forever faultless. Where my perception is reality and nothing is real. Where a parent can be the center of a child’s universe or their demon of hell. Where good decisions matter because they make no difference at all.

Why do you write?
Because of these things that I must know. To understand them, to delve into their depths and soar above them. Their glory, their beauty, their horror, their sadness. To capture both the fantastic and the mundane. To examine each thing’s possibility and walk with them to impossible futures. To contemplate this world as it is and as it might be. To hold these things for just one moment and then to release them upon the page, knowing they are not mine to keep.

Why do you write?
Because of these things I hear. These voices from the past. Shadows of sound that become words and words that build uncertain meaning. They are just dead things from days I can never return or that may never have existed. But they wait for me. They beckon me to their dance. Arms held out with the promise of their cold hateful and warm loving embrace. I ignore them, knowing that I cannot. Voices without substance, mere reflections in the night’s mirror that I love and I loath. These voices that are but ghosts - but these ghosts so often sing bittersweet.

message 9: by Diane (D.L.) (new)

Diane (D.L.) Rogers (dlrogers) | 1 comments Hi all, newbie here so please forgive me if I'm out of context or format. Why do I write? Because I've read all my life. And in those stories I realized (as mentioned above) I could go anywhere and do anything. But now, as the author of these stories, I can steer where that story is going. Because I write historical fiction, I can plunge into the history head first, come up sputtering, and figure out how to get on my feet again. That's part of the fun - writing myself out of a corner--believably. I don't do contrived. :D A huge part of my writing is to educate, as well. Although I write fiction, I stay as close to history as I possibly can, so while people are immersed in my novel, they're also learning about much of our history that is falling by the wayside. I don't want to see that happen and if I can excite just one man, woman or child to take a new look at the past and see just how it equates to our future, I've done my job.

Why do I write? Interestingly enough, the first "award" I ever won was $5 for third place in a contest on that very thing. Back then I wrote: Why do I write? Why do I breathe?

Nothing's really changed. :D

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

@Raymond I'm glad there are writers like you out there with so much passion and beauty in your words. A true inspiration to other writers.

message 11: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne (qbookbandit) | 1 comments I write because I can live anywhere and be anyone when I write. It is interesting to explore different characters and even to figure out that the character you wrote is nothing like you.

I write because I have all these different ideas and notions that should be but they are not. I'm no idealist I just love living in the idea of a fantasy world where everything is to your liking.

I write because I, like most people here, have read that truly horribly written awful book that got you thinking: yeah I can so write better than that. And how did that get published anyway?

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

^^ Agreed. :)

message 13: by Raymond (new)

Raymond Esposito | 4 comments @andria- thank you

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Of course

message 15: by W.D. (new)

W.D. County (wdcounty) | 1 comments Second grade students fell into three groups: a few smart kids, a lot of average kids, and my group—the three slowest learners. I struggled to understand numbers, writing, and especially reading. I recall the burn of embarrassment at having to read out loud, those long awkward pauses between each syllable as I tried desperately to remember what sound went with each squiggle on the page.

One day midway through the year, Mrs. Carpenter called on me to read. But this time as I stared at the page, magic happened. The squiggles became words and they spoke silently inside my head. Dumbstruck, enthralled, I watched the book morph into something more. The teacher called my name again, patiently prompting me to speak.

I read the first sentence. Smoothly, without hesitation, because it now made sense. It had meaning. I read the next sentence. And the next. The whole paragraph. The whole page.
I looked up and saw wonder on her face. I wanted to laugh, but started to cry.

I went from the slowest group to the fastest. Words unlocked everything. I got a library card and read as much as fast as possible. Books let me escape into worlds fun and fair. Books were never too tired for adventure, they never criticized when I was slow to grasp a new idea. Mythic heroes taught me honor and morality. The World Book Encyclopedia tutored me in facts. My grades went from D’s and F’s to A’s and B’s, and stayed there throughout high school and college.

Eventually, I tried writing. Essays. Articles. Short Stories. Poetry. The magic worked in reverse, transferring ideas into words. Writing was exhilarating, even addictive, but also frustrating. I wanted to create works so pure that words disappear, leaving only story. My idols Frank Herbert, Michael Crichton, and Dean Koontz have done it. But my every effort failed to reach their level of subtlety, realism, and power. Instead of crisp Rembrandts, my stories were fuzzy Monets. I needed help.

I began attending workshops and learned that writing is a craft that can be mastered. Study and practice sharpened words into scalpels. Loose plot threads wove into vivid tapestries. I now attend workshops every year, critique groups every month, and write something every day. Each piece calls forth the same magic that unlocked the mind of a seven-year-old boy more than half a century ago.

Magic. Wonder. It’s why I write. Mostly. But I also write in defiance of fear. The most terrifying story I’ve ever read is Flowers for Algernon, by Daniel Keyes. Its message is that nothing very good lasts for long. One day by stroke, Alzheimer’s, or accident, the magic might go away. Then I’ll look at the squiggles on a page and remember once upon a time they were something more. Until that happens, I will never stop writing.

message 16: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 2 comments I write because it makes me happy. I like writing fiction and watching the characters come alive in the world that I've built for them. It still amazes me how even if I plan things still change when I write. I thought I would go this way, but I know this character so well now I could never make him/her do that. My characters became almost like real people to me. I enjoy that.

It's fun to be able to be pick and choose what kinds of things I want and don't want. I write what I want to read, so a lot of things that annoy me while reading I try to avoid. I like being able to explore things that I never would dare touch in real life. It feels safe to be able to put all my feelings down on paper and really safe if I give those feelings to another.

I write dark urban fantasy and I love being able to come up with the rules of the world. I like that urban fantasy has became a mix of things so I can have my little bit of mystery, a touch of romance, and dragons. (I've never written anything with a dragon in it, but I could if I wanted to.) I like having that choice. It's like our world, but just enough differences to make it fun for me.

message 17: by Jill (new)

Jill Jepson | 6 comments For me, writing is a kind of spiritual practice. The things other people get from their meditation groups, temples, churches, and personal forms of spiritual practice, I get from writing. It's my connection to the Universe. I have felt this so deeply for so long, I finally wrote a book about it. Writing as a Sacred Path: A Practical Guide to Writing with Passion and Purpose

message 18: by Lizzie (new)

Lizzie (itshonest) I've just joined and I'm waiting for a folder so I thought I'd look around a little. For myself. That's why I write, it's as simple as that. I like to feel the flow of ink across paper, the way the letters curl and roll away. I realize most write directly to the screen but I like to do it the old fashion way. The only problem in that, is I find myself knee deep in notebooks on occasion. Still I wouldn't have it any other way.

message 19: by Annie (new)

Annie (iliveandbreathewords) (iliveandbreathewords) | 1 comments I write because I've always loved to read. Loved to escape from the boringness and unfairness of everyday life into a world of adventure where good always wins. I want to create that kind of world for others to read and enjoy.
I write because I keep thinking of characters and stories in my head and I need to write them down. I fall in love with these characters and can't wait to bring their stories to life.
I write because it's fun (once I get around to it). It's interesting to go on an adventure with the characters or even witness them go through less exciting moments of their lives.

message 20: by Dawn (new)

Dawn J Stevens (dawnjstevens) I've been asking myself this quite often lately, because I don't seem to have the same (or similar) answers as everyone else.

I guess there are multiple reasons, none in the realm of "norm".

First of all, I like the control. If I want a character to die, I'll find a way to kill them. It pleases me to take those unsavory characteristics of people, put most of them into a character, then throw them off a cliff (either figuratively or literally).

There's also the logic involved, such as the "how do I get this character from here to over there?". I like figuring out puzzles once I have the pieces. :)

Back to the control, I like creating a unique individual out of virtually nothing (or back to the logical aspect, figuring out how someone will act if they have a specific background). I will like them, or love to hate them, because I created them to be as such. That's fun.

The only thing close to a "normal" reason? I love to get lost in a good story. I love to cheer on a good character, and boo the bad. Sometimes the other way around, (hopefully) if it was the author's intent. I like new, different, non-mainstream but not too out there stuff. I lean toward fantasy because you can almost guarantee it will be a world you've never heard of before. I shy away from the "popular" copy-cat types in favor of completely unique classes/races/subhumans/worlds/etc. I like series, because it gives a chance to continue what the author/reader started (win-win). And I too like to re-read my own work years later. It's like reading a fun new story, but with the realization at the end that YOU wrote it. How cool!

Whew. So apparently I DID have quite of a reason to write, eh?

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

I write because I love to express my emotions using a fictional plot and fictional characters. It's much easier to tell your feelings gradually as the story develops rather than just flat out stating them! Stories help me consider my emotions, like, truly consider them.

Another reason why I write is because, well, it's like second nature! If I didn't write, I wouldn't feel complete! I'd feel empty inside! Writing is natural for me, and I would feel very uncomfortable not writing at all!

It's also fun to make up heroes and villains and side characters and the plot for your story. You can do anything you want with your characters and plot, creating the characters' personalities and the setting. You can write about a world you've always fantasized about, you know? For instance, I always dream about living in a world where mythological creatures exist and magic also exists and there are kingdoms and evil princes and good princes. I can just write about that world to make it exist!

message 22: by Denise (new)

Denise Jewell | 3 comments I wasn't confident that I could write but I decided to write because I couldn't get my character our of my head. I saw her bits and pieces if her story but had no clue how to put it together and people kept telling me not to worry about that and just write. I believe I will be finished with my first draft at the end of the year and I feel good.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Cool! Good luck with it! I bet it's going to be GOOD! :)

message 24: by Wade (new)

message 25: by Red (new)

Red (littleredreader) I just do. I have to.

message 26: by ♕ ❤ ♕ Princess pink diamonds posh bird LINZY.x.♕ ❤ ♕ (last edited Dec 27, 2013 08:00AM) (new)

♕ ❤  ♕ Princess pink diamonds posh bird LINZY.x.♕ ❤ ♕ (marilyngoodreadscom) | 6 comments I write because I enjoy creating characters and starting and ending the stories how I want them to happen.I love to put down thoughts that are going through my head.I can't think of how else to explain it.

message 27: by Martin (new)

Martin Landry | 25 comments To quote Isaac Azimov, "I write for the same reason I breathe, because I must."

message 28: by Eveline (new)

Eveline (emeijer) I write because it's my outlet. It's one of the few ways to calm my mind. I have ADHD, so my mind is very busy, all the time. It's nice to let it all out from time to time, and writing is the best way for me.

Also, I love adventures. I love to create people and let them lead the way. I'll see where I'll end up, I just like the journey the characters take me on.

But mostly, I write because I'm convinced I will die if I don't. A few years ago I had a small period without writing. I started to get tense all the time, got a bit depressed and just stressed out. Then, I started writing again, and everything disappeared over night. So I kind of HAVE to write.

message 29: by I.c. (new)

I.c. Sanford | 1 comments I write because I have stuff to say. The progressing story reflects the way I feel at any given time. I use my stories as a channeling source for positive and negative feelings.

message 30: by Vixen201 (new)

Vixen201 I write because it my way to escape from the real world. It allows me to create my own world and characters that live in it. I am in control.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

W.D. this is one of the best stories about the magic that books have that I've ever heard. I became a fan of yours in both the Goodreads sense and in general as soon as I read this comment.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

I wrote an essay at Shasta College in Redding, CA on the benefits of reading called "My Private World" and spent the entire word count extolling how reading helped me escape from the drudgery of daily existence, how it educates and uplifts me and sometimes just makes me laugh aloud. God has used the written word to shape me in many ways.
I write because occasionally characters jump into my head and clamor to be let out and rather than resist, I remember that other writers let their characters meet the world and changed my life. And then I try to share some of the same magic with others.

message 33: by Valyssia (last edited Jan 01, 2014 09:22PM) (new)

Valyssia Leigh I write mostly because I'm too compulsive not to. I started to do this thing about six and a half years ago. I have to see it through to some semi-satisfying end. And yes, I am willing to accept that that end may never come. I guess it's good that I actually kind of enjoy the process.

I write primarily in various realms of fantasy and suspense with some predisposition toward lesbian romance. I can't stand pure romance myself, so I always end up spicing it with some actual plot -- something besides girl meets girl, conflict, conflict, conflict, coupling angst, they make up, blah, blah, blah... That's frankly too predictable.

At some point I exceeded a million words in the incubator of fan-fiction. It took me a couple more years to feel like I could putter off on my own. It really is kind of scary to go it alone without the support and feedback, not that I got a lot, but every bit helps.

I've been playing since then with my own realities, trying to hit on something that I believed was good. I'm my own worst critic. I could really use a more objective pair of eyes, hence my involvement here.

message 34: by S (new)

S Lawrence (salawrence) | 4 comments I write because I enjoy writing and I love the power of words...I find it exhilarating to find my words can move someone's heart and mind. that I can make them laugh, cry, fall in love. become so involved in my characters they begin to argue with the pages. and when they can finish the manuscript wishing for more and sad because the book ended...that means what I wrote mattered

Jasmine | ModernScrolls (modernscrolls) I write because for me it is an escape from the real world. Whether I am writing poetry or a short story I get to let out my emotions and focus my mind on something other than what is going on around me. Creating my own world is fun and a healthy coping mechanism to the stress that I sometimes deal with.

message 36: by Cat (last edited Jan 17, 2014 02:41PM) (new)

Cat (cheonsaaa_cat) | 57 comments How do you not write? Writing is like the essence of the soul. It allows you to escape into another world where you are free to do whatever you like, create problems that aren't yours, live lives that aren't yours... without writing, I'd probably be in a mental ward from all the stress I've gone through. Writing is my savior.
Writing gives me a chance to put my voice out in the world. I've always thought that if I don't do something worth remembering in my life, then I am worth nothing, and so what was my purpose of being on this earth? Writing makes me feel like I am giving words to the world, changing it through emotions and story. I dream of changing the world with words. It sounds a little stupid, I know. But it is only one of the many reasons I write so passionately.

I WRITE FOR THE SAME REASON I BREATHE, BECAUSE I MUST.
Genius quote.

message 37: by Martin (new)

Martin Landry | 25 comments I agree Catherine, great minds think alike :-)

message 38: by Cat (new)

Cat (cheonsaaa_cat) | 57 comments Martin wrote: "I agree Catherine, great minds think alike :-)"

Yeah, I saw your comment, and I just had to steal your (or rather, Isaac Azimov's) quote. It's too perfect. :)

message 39: by Martin (new)

Martin Landry | 25 comments "About the most originality that any writer can hope to achieve honestly is to steal with good judgment." - Josh Billings
I collect quotes, you see, because everything I could ever possibly want to say myself has more than likely already been said by someone much more learned than I :-)

message 40: by Cat (new)

Cat (cheonsaaa_cat) | 57 comments I love that quote! I'll have to steal that, too. :) I collect quotes as well, but somehow I don't have any that relate to writing. I think.

One of my favorites is Frank Zappa's "so many books, so little time." :D It describes a reader's life perfectly!

message 41: by Joyce (new)

Joyce Nalaielua Quirch (hulagirl50) | 5 comments I am writing a romance novel. I love the genre and hope I can do justice for the characters I created. Would anyone like to read the first chapter??

message 42: by Cat (new)

Cat (cheonsaaa_cat) | 57 comments Joyce wrote: "I am writing a romance novel. I love the genre and hope I can do justice for the characters I created. Would anyone like to read the first chapter??"

If it's appropriate for teens, I would. I love giving advice, though, so you'd have to be okay with constructive criticism.

message 43: by Joyce (new)

Joyce Nalaielua Quirch (hulagirl50) | 5 comments Catherine wrote: "Joyce wrote: "I am writing a romance novel. I love the genre and hope I can do justice for the characters I created. Would anyone like to read the first chapter??"

If it's appropriate for teens,..."
Yes, the first chapter is very G-rated. However, after pouring over it again for the millionth time, it still could use a few tweaks. But yes, I would love any criticism you have to offer. Where should I send it?

message 44: by Cat (new)

Cat (cheonsaaa_cat) | 57 comments Joyce wrote: "Catherine wrote: "Joyce wrote: "I am writing a romance novel. I love the genre and hope I can do justice for the characters I created. Would anyone like to read the first chapter??"

If it's appr..."

You could post it in your writing?

message 45: by Joyce (new)

Joyce Nalaielua Quirch (hulagirl50) | 5 comments Catherine wrote: "Joyce wrote: "Catherine wrote: "Joyce wrote: "I am writing a romance novel. I love the genre and hope I can do justice for the characters I created. Would anyone like to read the first chapter??"..."
Catherine, you can go to ohanatravelmom.wordpress.com It's on my front page.

message 46: by Cat (new)

Cat (cheonsaaa_cat) | 57 comments Joyce wrote: "Catherine wrote: "Joyce wrote: "Catherine wrote: "Joyce wrote: "I am writing a romance novel. I love the genre and hope I can do justice for the characters I created. Would anyone like to read th..."

Ok.

message 47: by Michael (new)

Michael Benavidez I write as an escape, cliché as it sounds. I'm always lost in my mind and in my memories that I begin to suffocate myself with things I rather not remember. at the same time I need to write it down, though its a struggle for me. so I developed into a writer with creatures of fantastic dwellings and such, as a way to write it down while having it kinda reflect my experiences I so need to get out my head. hope that made a lot of sense? O.o haha

message 48: by Cat (new)

Cat (cheonsaaa_cat) | 57 comments Michael wrote: "I write as an escape, cliché as it sounds. I'm always lost in my mind and in my memories that I begin to suffocate myself with things I rather not remember. at the same time I need to write it down..."

I doesn't sound cliche. Writing is an escape, you should be proud of it.

message 49: by Michael (new)

Michael Benavidez Oh i very much am, i just feel like thats a common answer so i explained it a bit more lol

message 50: by Cat (new)

Cat (cheonsaaa_cat) | 57 comments Michael wrote: "Oh i very much am, i just feel like thats a common answer so i explained it a bit more lol"

Hahah.

« previous 1