Fantasy and Vampire Book Club discussion

Challenge Archives > Second book in series BOM challenge

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Adele, Moderator (new)

Adele (turtil) | 1767 comments Mod
Second book in series BOM challenge

By now you have discovered we introduce you to a lot.....and i mean a lot of series books.
Whilst this is great; I can’t help but feel it is a little unfinished. So I thought I’d set aside a challenge.
This is just to challenge those people who want to read the number Two of a series we have already started. Please Note: Some of these books either do not have a second in series yet (or at all), or we have already read the second in the series.

All of these books should all be available at your local librar....if you don’t already have them on your shelf at home that is.
I have included all books on this list however there are a couple of indie books that we have read. It is up to you if you choose to read them or not.
if you can find them at your local library that’s great. I’m not asking you to purchase these books…even though they are probably worth every dollar. I Can’t Force people to buy the books. My suggestion is If the book is only available to purchase….have a think if you want to buy it(not just for this challenge)and skip any books you either are not willing or cannot afford to purchase.
Me personally I always go for the Library option, and I’ll be skipping anything I have to buy….unemployment sucks sometimes!
So far this doesn’t sound really challenging does it? I provide you with a list of books and you read them.
Well what if I was to say that the most challenging part is to only read book two.
These are really good books, and some are addictive. I’m not demanding you only read book two. I’m just saying it will be challenging just to read book two only, without straying to the third book in the series.
However we have got a lot of new people who have not participated in the previous BOM. So for thoses of you who have not read Book One the challenge for you is to read Book one and two Only.
Oh and don’t worry you can still nominate the books in the BOM for present and future.
Overlaps with other challenges/BOM’s etc are allowed and encouraged.
You have 3 Months to Complete this Challenge(although it may not take that long)

message 2: by Adele, Moderator (new)

Now here is the list: (in no particular order)

1. The Iron Daughter (Iron Fey, #2) by Julie Kagawa
2. Changeless (Parasol Protectorate #2) by Gail Carriger
3. Winging It (The Dragon Diaries Trilogy #2) by Deborah Cooke
4. Supernaturally (Paranormalcy #2) by Kiersten White
5. Desire Unchained (Demonica #2) by Larissa Ione
6. Dark Warrior Unbroken (Talions #2) by Alexis Morgan
7. Masquerade (Blue Bloods #2) by Melissa de la Cruz
8. Shadow of Night (All Souls Trilogy #2) by Deborah Harkness
9. Twice Tempted (Night Prince #2) by Jeaniene Frost
10. Eternal Kiss of Darkness (Night Huntress World #2) by Jeaniene Frost
11. Mercy Burns (Myth and Magic #2) by Keri Arthur
12. One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress #2) by Jeaniene Frost
13. Second Grave on the left (charley Davidson #2) By Darynda Jones
14. Bloodfever ( Fever #2) By Karen Marie Moning
15. Half Black Soul (The Alexa Montgomery Saga, #2) By H.D. Gordon
16. Hallowed(Unearthly, #2) By Cynthia Hand
17. Forbidden Embrace (Embrace, #2) Charlotte Blackwell
18. Torment (Fallen, #2) By Lauren Kate
19. The Golden Lily (Bloodlines, #2) By Richelle Mead
20. Blue Moon (The Immortals, #2) By Alyson Noel
21. Friday Night Bites (Chicagoland Vampires, #2) by Chloe Neill
22. Angel Fire (Angel, #2) by L.A. Weatherly
23. Frostbite (Vampire Academy, #2) by Richelle Mead
24. Linger (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #2) by Maggie Stiefvater
25. Lover Eternal (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #) by J.R. Ward
26. Divine By Choice (Partholon, #2) by P.C. Cast
27. The Spell Master (Journey into the Realm, #2) by Markelle Grabo

message 3: by Adele, Moderator (new)

i apoligize for not providing any links, my computer is running very very slow right now, and it would take forever to do.

message 4: by Norma, BOM & Co Moderator (new)

Norma Mills | 653 comments Mod
So we cannot read any further than book 2? But we can read book 1 and 2? Like, Paranormalcy.. I have book 1, haven't read, but I do not have book 2... So I can read both, but no further (either due to the fact book 3 is not out yet, or because of the challenge).

Also, I have already read book 1 and 2 of Discovery of Witches, so that means I cannot do those, unless I re-read them (I do not do that).

Please advise? My coffee has not kicked in and I would like to make sure I am sticking to the rules/guidelines. Thank you :)

message 5: by Adele, Moderator (new)

I see your dilemma, due to the fact there are a few addictive series in there at that is really what the challenge is all about. So no further than book 2 due to the challenge restrictions.
So if you haven't read book 1... You read it and book 2.
If you have read book 1 You just read book 2.
If you have already read the books,you can mark them as already being read....with the widget just add those books to the shelf you chose for the challenge. This is especially helpful if you do not wish to re read books.

Sorry I can be a bit confusing and long winded sometimes. But hopefully this has cleared things up for you.

message 6: by Norma, BOM & Co Moderator (new)

Can do! Thank you!

message 7: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (new)

Amyiw | 1083 comments Mod
OK, so if you already read the continuation do you add it to the number you choose or just the shelf? I think shelves are date sensitive to the date read. Do we count the already read in the number or leave it out?

So with all the adult BOTM, I only get 3 series and possibly 3 to 5 as a number. Not much of a challenge. I'll put my number in all the same. My question... can I count the last if it is a continuation if that is the only one I have left or is this only the first and second or second book. If I put the 2nd ones I already read, I go up to 10 with 7 already read.

The series I read and really like, I read through within a few months usually. Pretty much all the adult books from the BOTM are on that list.

message 8: by Adele, Moderator (new)

Amyiw, you have just confused the heck out of me! Although that it not so hard right now... My insomnia is starting to play with my mind.

Here is my answer to the best of my understanding of your questions.(OK that sentence made sense in my head...not so much when I typed it).

I think with the widget just count the books you haven't already read( unless you intend to re read in which case you change the dates and add to shelves so those would be counted as well).

You count on the widget exactly how many books you are reading. So if you are reading one and two of a series you don't count it as a series.
I hope I have answered your questions correctly.

message 9: by Norma, BOM & Co Moderator (last edited Aug 24, 2013 04:25AM) (new)

I am so in! I have read The available books of two of the series so I hope it does not count them (But we will find out).. I just started book 2 of one series... and I own Book 1 of two options, and the series of another... So I AM IN! Very excited for this!!! If it counts the ones I have already read, I will let you know :)

UPDATE: The ONLY way the books show up is if you go into your read folder and tag the book on the list under the Challenge folder you have named. I tested it. The only issue with this is... It is dishonest...

Adele, if you want me to erase this.. I will.. I hope everyone is honest, but shizzle happens..

message 10: by Adele, Moderator (new)

I would prefer it if people were honest as well. but if they cheat they are only cheating themselves. as it is a self made challenge.
I'm not asking people to read all the books( but I gave people enough time so if they want to they can). this challenge was just an opportunity to extend to group members to read book two of a book as a group.
that's it really.
if people want to re read books, they can. if they have already read them and no longer wish to ...they don't have to. same goes if they just didn't want to read it.
this challenge is not mandatory.
me... well i'll be reading some but not all. as I have already read a few of them but others I haven't. I'd create a list but I don't want people to get confused with my first one. so I'll just put how many I'll be reading. I have to see what is available first.

message 11: by Norma, BOM & Co Moderator (new)

Good plan. I stated 7 because that is the books in the list that I already own.. If I surpass, I will move my goal higher. Excited!!

message 12: by Norma, BOM & Co Moderator (new)

Ok.. We are just over 1 month from completion of this challenge, so I decided to update my status. I had picked 8 books, but scared I wouldn't get to complete, I lowered it to 6. I am putting it back to eight, though, because some of these series are so good, books are being read in 2 days. Here is the series I have started and my reviews! Enjoy!

4. Supernaturally (Paranormalcy #2) by Kiersten White
DONE WITH BOOK 1, HERE MY REVIEW. READING BOOK 2.
BOOK 1: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

5. Desire Unchained (Demonica #2) by Larissa Ione
DONE! HERE IS MY REVIEW OF BOOK 1 AND 2:
BOOK 1: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
BOOK 2: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

13. Second Grave on the left (charley Davidson #2) By Darynda Jones
I HAD READ BOOK 1 BEFORE JOINING THIS CHALLENGE. HERE IS MY REVIEW OF BOOK 2: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

23. Frostbite (Vampire Academy, #2) by Richelle Mead
I HAVE BOTH BOOK 1 AND 2 LISTED TO BE READ FOR THIS CHALLENGE! EXCITING!

25. Lover Eternal (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #) by J.R. Ward
I HAD READ BOOK 1 BEFORE JOINING THIS CHALLENGE. HERE IS MY REVIEW OF BOOK 2: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 13: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (new)

I thought I would get to more of these but ended up with just the first two of the Chicagoland Vampire, I understood from above that you count both if you had read the first and second, and then Mercy Burns. I meant to read the Charley Davidson 2nd, Second Grave on the Left, but haven't got to it. I should be done with both Friday Night Bites and Mercy Burns by tomorrow.

Since I read most of the Second books in the series after reading the first for any of the BOTM I joined, I didn't have much to choose from but 1st and 2nds of YA. I don't read YA much. Then I kept on pushing off my 2ndBOTM challenge and here I am, even at the low challenge of 3 books, racing to meet the deadline. And I so wanted to get to more. :-( Well at least I got a few.

I liked Mercy Burns better than the 1st so far. I've really liked the Chicagoland Vampires. I'll have to stop for a while afterwards as I've got time constraints, so I will be putting the Chicago Vamps on hold for at least a couple of months and follow your, just read the 2nd, at least for the time being.

message 14: by Norma, BOM & Co Moderator (new)

I finally completed this challenge (happy flag) and here is my final review. I learned a lot about some of these series... Most of them were amazing! Some I could have lived without and wouldn't have been overly damaged, but it definatly got me moving on my collection. With that said, here is my last review on Frostbite, Vampire Academy Book 2: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

I had previously posted my other 7 reviews on 10/19/2013. So... with that said... When is the next challenge!

message 15: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (new)

I think I'm going to post a summer time game challenge for the Summer (June-August). I'll try to get it up in the next week. I think I'll let people start as soon as it is up instead of waiting until June.

I just finished my challenge too but I'll push through and try to finish up a couple more series. Maybe with Dark Lover being the book of the month, it'll get me back to finish that series. I have the last two... but they are so long.

message 16: by Norma, BOM & Co Moderator (new)

Amyiw wrote: "I think I'm going to post a summer time game challenge for the Summer (June-August). I'll try to get it up in the next week. I think I'll let people start as soon as it is up instead of waiting u..."

We did this last year. It was amazing for me because it caught me up on a lot of series I Wanted to start and gave me a reason. It was great!

message 17: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 16 comments I enjoyed this challenge and would do it again. It really helped me too read all those books just sitting on my shelf. I can hardly believe it but with this challenge I have not bought any books. Lol!!! I still have a lot more to read. Keep the challenges coming.