Audiobooks discussion

Archives > Why Can't Downpour Compete with Audible?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 420 comments I was pretty excited to see that there's a Downpour app for Android. I had heard about an audiobook that was only available through Downpour, Going Public in Shorts!: Complete Collection. So, I downloaded the app and re-started my membership. (I had tried it when they first started and wasn't happy.) I will be cancelling the membership again because they just can't compete with Audible. Here's what it will take to bring me back:

1. Ability to shop for audiobooks through the app. It's ridiculous to have to go to the website to get books every time.

2. A widget to control playback without being in the app. (Audible controls show up on my smartphone screen when it's locked. This is really important to me because I have to pause frequently to answer the phones at work.)

3. A faster, better organized website.

4. If I were still using my iPod Nano, I'd want the ability to download directly into iTunes instead of having import the book from the downloads folder.

I'm not asking for the sun, moon, and stars, just a little basic functionality.

message 2: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 420 comments I just noticed on the description of the Downpour app that you can only download books through a wifi connection. I hadn't noticed that before. My Audible app allows downloads through my cellular data plan.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm not sure I WANT competition for Audible. I have a perfect plan that suits my needs, the selection is fantastic, and the credits keep rolling in. I don't think there is always benefit for the consumer in competitive situations. Nor do I like monopolies - but this one has thus far operated to my benefit.

message 4: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie | 1119 comments I do not have a wifi connection and I download from Downpour to my Ipod! I am no expert. They have helped me a lot. I am happy when they offer books that are not available at Audible. I DO love Audible, but I get so annoyed when that offered to us Europeans is so much less than Americans.Downpour has told me that soon they will be offering even more to those of us living in Europe. So don't give up on Downpour, even if Audible is totally fantastic. Heck, competition is good for customers.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree that for limited-release books, having an alternative is essential. Sorry that I did not consider that factor in the above.

message 6: by Tomerobber (new)

Tomerobber | 193 comments Well I get books from both places . . . have both apps on my iPods and iPads and although Audible has more features than the the Downpour app I enjoy using both. I had heard not too long ago that they were making improvements to their app . . . so that will be interesting.
I also enjoy the books on CDs that I get from Tantor as well . . can't beat those $6.99 sales in library cases!! . . . and I can loan them to my friend as well. LIFE IS GOOD!!

message 7: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie | 1119 comments Jennifer, no worry.

Tomerobber, there is practically nothing at Tantor available to Europeans. When you get the long list of sale items even the ones not available are listed. This means you have to go through pages of unavailable titles. I have really tried to go through those lists but it takes forever and have always given up before reaching the end. The result being I have gotten nothing there.

message 8: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1520 comments if you guys want audible to make books available to you overseas, then you need to talk to the audiobook producers (i.e. Tantor) - for the most part, Audible is just a distribution center, not a licensing one

message 9: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie | 1119 comments Tantor has not answered my email concerning this matter. Audible is closest to the consumer and therefore it is important to tell them about this and its ridiculous consequences. I have also written to Downpour concerning this. Downpour will soon be opening a new site where more books will be made available to Europeans, or so I have been told! It is important to speak with the distributors too.

message 10: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1520 comments i'm surprised Tantor hasn't - they are really active in one of my other groups - have a rep in the group - they like to be on the pulse of listeners...

message 11: by Tomerobber (new)

Tomerobber | 193 comments Chrissie wrote: "Jennifer, no worry.

Tomerobber, there is practically nothing at Tantor available to Europeans. When you get the long list of sale items even the ones not available are listed. This means you have ..."

I suppose this is another of those copyright issues . . . I'm sure there are just as many Europeans reading and listening to books as there are Americans . . . you would think that copyright holders and distributors would want the business and would work harder to get the legal issues resolved!!

message 12: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie | 1119 comments Tomerobber wrote: "you would think that copyright holders and distributors would want the business and would work harder to get the legal issues resolved!! "

Yeah, you would think that! I do think it is important that people complain, otherwise nothing will change.

message 13: by Rif (new)

Rif Kiamil | 1 comments Tried and canceled Downpour. Steve Jobs book cant be downloaded for the Uk and zappos creating happiness book not on the list.

Looks like locked into Amazon, hating giving money to this non UK tax paying company.

message 14: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (themagicmonster) | 51 comments Tantor needs to work on sorting through all those sale so you don't have to view each page.