The Nerd Herd discussion

The Return of the King (The Lord of the Rings, #3)
This topic is about The Return of the King
Lord of the Rings > Return of the King

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by mels, This isn't a friendship, it's a spaceship (new) - rated it 5 stars

mels (padmeskywalkers) | 3603 comments Mod
A topic to talk about Return of the King!

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

For some reason I didn't like it when the Witch King died

message 3: by mels, This isn't a friendship, it's a spaceship (new) - rated it 5 stars

Really? Why was that?

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

(He was pretty epic:(
well... evilly epic)

message 5: by mels, This isn't a friendship, it's a spaceship (new) - rated it 5 stars

I find it interesting how sauron never really did anything, yet he is the antagonist

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Ya

message 7: by mels, This isn't a friendship, it's a spaceship (new) - rated it 5 stars

:) did you know that a lot of people think that Sam is the main protagonist?

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow... That strangely makes sense...
But I believe that it's Frodo.
Even the Simarrilion and the Hobbit are both basically letting you understand Frodo's background, so he is the protagonist.
It still does make sense though...

message 9: by mels, This isn't a friendship, it's a spaceship (new) - rated it 5 stars

:)

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

(Sorry.
I was making tea:)

message 11: by mels, This isn't a friendship, it's a spaceship (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nice :)

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Pumpkin and Mandarin with Half & Half cream and some honey.
Mmmm...

message 13: by mels, This isn't a friendship, it's a spaceship (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sounds good :)

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Yup.
I made an awesome roleplaying group.
It is called EPIC
(And its an epic group:)
It is the one w/ the pic of the hooded assassin:)

message 15: by mels, This isn't a friendship, it's a spaceship (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cool! I'll have to check that out, once I get the laptop!

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

You can search it on mobile

message 17: by mels, This isn't a friendship, it's a spaceship (new) - rated it 5 stars

I think I have an invite from someone... Idk. I should get it in a few mins

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Ok
I need to do the dishes:)

message 19: by mels, This isn't a friendship, it's a spaceship (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bye!

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

(Just tell me when you're back

message 21: by mels, This isn't a friendship, it's a spaceship (new) - rated it 5 stars

Um... I thought you were leaving...

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

I just had to do the dishes:)
Like one minute, because I started before.

message 23: by mels, This isn't a friendship, it's a spaceship (new) - rated it 5 stars

Oh, okay :)

johanna (johannad_m) Love ROTK:D The Scouring was awesome and terrifying. :) The ending was heartbreaking.

message 25: by mels, This isn't a friendship, it's a spaceship (new) - rated it 5 stars

I love LOTR! But if you want a heartbreaking ending... Try eragon. The ending was beautiful in this, but I never loved frodo, so I wasn't that sad to see him go... However it was so sad seeing most of the elves leave forever.. So in the end, I think it was a masterful ending to the brilliance that is The Lord of the rings

message 26: by Hakuna (new)

Hakuna Matata (hakuna_matata) | 249 comments I love LOTR! It's also one of the only book series where the movies were equally as epic :D

johanna (johannad_m) Equally, no. Pretty good, though :)

message 28: by Hakuna (new)

Hakuna Matata (hakuna_matata) | 249 comments I though it was equally :P The books and movies were both amazing

message 29: by mels, This isn't a friendship, it's a spaceship (new) - rated it 5 stars

Oh my gosh... I loved the books and the movies. The books were epic. That is all. While the movies might not have been the same kind of epic ness as the books, they were hilarious, the actors were amazing, and they told the story well

Gameboy the mental Mario  (gameboythelegomaster) | 1260 comments I love the song that the hobbit sang to the king while that king son was fighting and almost died but was just unconscious

Brenda Hiatt | 2 comments I hated that they left the Scouring of the Shire out of the movie!

message 32: by mels, This isn't a friendship, it's a spaceship (new) - rated it 5 stars

IKR!!! It's one of my only complaints about the movies... That and tom bombadil

Jonesmikey | 6 comments Melisquish wrote: ":) did you know that a lot of people think that Sam is the main protagonist?"

I'm one of those people. The internal monologue is always Sam's, not Frodo's. After Mount Doom it's Sam that we all see getting woken up by Gandalf. Not Frodo.

message 34: by mels, This isn't a friendship, it's a spaceship (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yeah, I completely agree. I... Didn't like frodo much, I'll admit. And you can tell me all you want that he was under the twigs influence, bla bla bla, but Sam was so much more of a hero...

Jonesmikey | 6 comments Does anybody else think it's lame that Gimli saved Pippin. I think he should have died heroically killing that troll.

message 36: by mels, This isn't a friendship, it's a spaceship (new) - rated it 5 stars

I honestly am glad that he survived. I live pippin a lot, and there were a ton of other heroic deaths.

Jonesmikey | 6 comments I don't know. I really like the scene when he dies. He kills the troll, then the troll is collapsing on him and he knows he's dying and he resigns himself to it. Then he hears "The Eagles are coming, the eagles are coming!" Then the chapter's over. Powerful stuff.
But later on he's back. And he's a servant.

message 38: by mels, This isn't a friendship, it's a spaceship (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yeah... But honestly, we just had Theoden die... And a ton of others die... I don't want my little pippin to die!

Jonesmikey | 6 comments What's one Hobbit, more or less. Hah! I've been thinking, who am I to say what I don't like about LOTR? I guess that one little thing hasn't stopped me from reading the whole series five times now.

message 40: by mels, This isn't a friendship, it's a spaceship (new) - rated it 5 stars

Haha seven, *raises hand guiltily*

johanna (johannad_m) Jonesmikey wrote: "What's one Hobbit, more or less.

*offended*
What did Pippin do to deserve to die? He was a hero. He deserved his happy ending, and he got it. There are plenty of character deaths in LOTR . . . I'm extremely happy that both Merry and Pippin survived.

Jonesmikey | 6 comments I just thought it was a really poignant moment in the book when Pippin died. I'm not saying I cried but it was definitely moving. Then later on I find out that it was rather silly of me to be moved by his death.

Brenda Hiatt | 2 comments Only 5 times? Only 7 times? Pikers.

And I agree that Sam is the true hero of the piece, even if Frodo gets most of the glory. LOVE the scene where Sam and Frodo are talking about the stories that might be told about their adventure by future generations, near the end of TWO TOWERS.

message 44: by mels, This isn't a friendship, it's a spaceship (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hey! I'm only 14! I'm still workin on it!

message 45: by Jonesmikey (last edited Nov 18, 2013 01:24PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jonesmikey | 6 comments I'm due to pick them up again in a year or two. I really like Sam's inner dialogue about what a great garden he could have.