Robert McCammon discussion

What shall we be reading > Buddy Read For Stinger- Up to Chapter 22

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Char (last edited Aug 26, 2013 04:42PM) (new)

Char A place for us to discuss these pages. No spoiler tags needed, but please don't reveal anything after chapter 22.

message 2: by Randolph (new)

Randolph (us227381) I think the two Air Force officers bite a little too soon on the alien thing. Maybe because they said they have seen alien remains before.

message 3: by Char (new)

Char I thought you were a slow reader, Randolph? *she asked, hands on hips*

message 4: by Randolph (last edited Aug 27, 2013 01:15PM) (new)

Randolph (us227381) I cheated, I put down my other stuff and started before Monday. Don't worry I'll start to lag behind now.

message 5: by Char (new)

Char I'm just busting ya. :)

message 6: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 99 comments Ahhh! It's killing me to see things written & not be able to read them yet!!! Need to read!!!!

message 7: by Randolph (new)

Randolph (us227381) The pyramid thingy really started to open things up.

message 8: by Char (new)

Char I stopped reading at Chapter 22, so I shall return later this evening to discuss said pyramid. :)

I was just enjoying the out of control gang fight at the arcade.

message 9: by Char (new)

Char Ok, the pyramid is something, but that Skygrid is cool.
It put me in mind of Stephen King's Under the Dome. I saw the first episodes of the show, and the way the Dome came down was eerily like this story. I think a plane plowed into it, and a semi ran into it. Just like this story.

message 10: by Char (new)

Char I don't know about you guys, but I'm having a blast with this book! Everything is so vivid to me, the characters act like you would act, or at least you can understand their acts. You brought that up earlier, Randolph, and you were right. :)

message 11: by Pamellia (new)

Pamellia (michiganparents) | 109 comments Kimberly wrote: "Ahhh! It's killing me to see things written & not be able to read them yet!!! Need to read!!!!"

What's the problem? I thought you were reading with us?? Do you have the book?

message 12: by Char (new)

Char I don't she has read this far yet. She wants to read the comments, but doesn't want to for fear of spoiling something.
At least, that's how I took it. :)

message 13: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 86 comments I finished the book.

message 14: by Char (new)

Char LOL, that was fast!!

message 15: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 86 comments I couldn't put it down! :)

message 16: by Char (new)

Char I'm having that same problem. :)

message 17: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 99 comments Charlene wrote: "I'm having that same problem. :)"

Okay-- I've been walking around with the book in front of my face all day now!! One day off reading, and it looks like I'll be finished by tomorrow at this rate.

@Jon; Overacheiver!!! *BIG HUG*--I'm just jealous because I want to read more NOW....but kids want to be fed again....sigh!

message 18: by Pamellia (new)

Pamellia (michiganparents) | 109 comments I like these cut offs because I "think" I can stop there. Last night I stopped after chpt 22...now I want to start reading again, but having daughter a party tonight, so Have to get ready. It is very difficult to put this book down.

Question: (I think I missed something) Why do these boys/girls hate X-Ray so much? What's up with all the gang violence in this book and our society? In the book it seems to me disappointment in the future, borning life, home situations more than hate of other races, even though I know that can be powerful.

Did SK get some ideas from this book for Under the Dome.

message 19: by Kimberly (last edited Aug 30, 2013 04:30AM) (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 99 comments Pamellia wrote: "I like these cut offs because I "think" I can stop there. Last night I stopped after chpt 22...now I want to start reading again, but having daughter a party tonight, so Have to get ready. It is ..."

The Rattlers had a member (Paco) that tried to beat X-Ray up in school, but the girl from the other gang, beat him up instead. (Because Ray was "white" and lived on "their side of the bridge", the girl (Nasty) considered Ray one of them, even though he is not a gang member). Paco was simply humiliated and high when he decided to take it out on Ray later that night.

Hope that helps! I agree, the hate/gangs/home-lives of some is horrible. Guess I was raised very sheltered, because we didn't have any of this where I came from--at least nothing so overt.

message 20: by Pamellia (new)

Pamellia (michiganparents) | 109 comments Kimberly wrote: "Pamellia wrote: "I like these cut offs because I "think" I can stop there. Last night I stopped after chpt 22...now I want to start reading again, but having daughter a party tonight, so Have to g..."

Yea, I remembered the whole school beating of x-Ray...but I guess I just don't get why Paco wanted to whip his arse in the first place...just pure meanness, I suppose.

I think most ppl were raised sheltered and really didn't understand there were real gangs. What was our example? West Side Story, where gangs went around singing while they performed synchronized dancing...that made the gang life even more unbelievable I think.

I just realized I provided a spoiler on one of my posts. Sorry about that. I should really just wait until the end and comment on the whole book. I forget what I'm doing half of the time.

message 21: by Char (new)

Char No spoiler tags are needed as long as you don't discuss after Chapter 22.

I grew up in an area where there were gangs. I don't think there's any sense of reason about why rival gangs hate each other. I think it's a lack of family support/oversight that draws teens into gangs. From there it's just a matter of following the gang leaders.
But, hey, what do I know?

message 22: by Susan (new)

Susan Barlow | 6 comments I don't know much about gangs, but unfortunately it seems to be starting up here in Australia. Not so much kids, but more adult gangs vying for control of organized crime. There have been some shootings here connected to rival gang members.

What we definitely have a problem with is bullying in schools and it's not a new thing. It seems to me that there is some innate human trait for the strong to victimise the weak. Well OK I can't take credit for that, there have been several famous psychological experiments which have demonstrated this. So I think Paco is just a bully.

message 23: by Pamellia (new)

Pamellia (michiganparents) | 109 comments Yes, Susan...I agree with you. Paco is just a bully and I suppose he really doesn't need a reason to bully or beat the crap out of someone not living up to his own expectations...like someone intelligent, wearing glasses (like x-Ray does) or living on the wrong side of the bridge.

What is the weather like in Australia. Are u coming out of winter??

message 24: by Susan (new)

Susan Barlow | 6 comments The weather is great today, sunny and warm, after a wet, cold winter.

I agree with you that it would be nice to be able to give a reason for bullying but it seems to happen in expensive private schools as well as in lower socio-economic areas. Perhaps some people just love the feeling of power they get from it. The Sheriff was bullied as a child and despite trying to intimidate the kids now he is still scared of them.

And I think there is a very strong urge to belong to a group when you're a kid. I remember (and this was a long time ago lol) there was a cool group of girls at school that I would have loved to hang around with. I never had any desire to beat anybody up though!

Anyway I guess the aliens are going to stir things up more. On with my reading.