Robert McCammon discussion

What shall we be reading > Buddy Read For Stinger- Up to Chapter 12

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Char (last edited Aug 28, 2013 10:17AM) (new)

Char Here's a spot for us to start our read of Stinger! Please speak freely, no spoiler tags needed, just don't reveal anything after Chapter 12.
The official start date is Monday, August 26th.
Anyone can join at any time, so don't be shy!

message 2: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 86 comments August 6th was two weeks ago.....

message 3: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 99 comments Jon Recluse wrote: "August 6th was two weeks ago....."

I didn't even catch that! LOL!

*BIG HUG*

message 4: by Char (new)

Char Oops! I fixed it. Thanks. :)

message 5: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 86 comments Kimberly wrote: "Jon Recluse wrote: "August 6th was two weeks ago....."

*BIG HUG*"

*BIG HUG*

message 6: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 99 comments Jon Recluse wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "Jon Recluse wrote: "August 6th was two weeks ago....."

*BIG HUG*"

*BIG HUG*"

Good thing someone is overseeing things here! LOL!!!

message 7: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 86 comments YETH!

message 8: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Moyer (catwoman56) | 101 comments I'll dig mine out ....

message 9: by Char (new)

Char Hey...what are you trying to say, Kimberly? :)

message 10: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Moyer (catwoman56) | 101 comments she's saying you're doing a great job Charlene :)

message 11: by Char (new)

Char Oh yeah? LOL

message 12: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 99 comments Charlene wrote: "Hey...what are you trying to say, Kimberly? :)"

LOL! I'm implying that I didn't see it either, and would have blissfully gone on, unaware that I was 3 weeks behind schedule..... At least until Jon brought it to my attention with a "hey--we finished this one last month! Didn't you notice the dates?"

;_)

message 13: by Randolph (new)

Randolph (us227381) Pretty standard setup: introduce and establish main characters and setting. Some we love and some we hate. Guess which two, at least, are going to have to work together in the end?

message 14: by Char (new)

Char Hmm...

message 15: by Randolph (new)

Randolph (us227381) One thing McCammon does well is he doesn't play his characters stupid. His people tend to wise up to what is going on and figure out what is happening. Some writers try to get you to believe that the characters are going to remain clueless and do all sorts of stupid things like split up, or throw away weapons, or creep into unlit rooms. McCammon's characters act like real people would. King is good at this as well.

message 16: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 99 comments Randolph wrote: "One thing McCammon does well is he doesn't play his characters stupid. His people tend to wise up to what is going on and figure out what is happening. Some writers try to get you to believe that..."

Very good point, Randolph! McCammon's characters are "real". I believe that is essential with good writing. There are things we need to suspend our beliefs for, but characterization is not one of them.

message 17: by Char (new)

Char I'm in here peeking and I haven't even started yet. If anyone is reading this on a Kindle, is there a page count or chapter that ends close to page 100?
I'm reading on my Kindle, but it's through the Overdrive app, and it doesn't show page numbers or percentages.

message 18: by Randolph (new)

Randolph (us227381) Charlene wrote: "I'm in here peeking and I haven't even started yet. If anyone is reading this on a Kindle, is there a page count or chapter that ends close to page 100?
I'm reading on my Kindle, but it's through t..."

Chapter 12, What Makes the Wheels Turn in the MMpb is page 109, about as close as you're going to get. The Skygrid, chapter 22 is page 205.

message 19: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 99 comments Randolph wrote: "Charlene wrote: "I'm in here peeking and I haven't even started yet. If anyone is reading this on a Kindle, is there a page count or chapter that ends close to page 100?
I'm reading on my Kindle, b..."

Sorry, I have an old paperback...

message 20: by Char (last edited Aug 26, 2013 04:41PM) (new)

Char Randolph, awesome. Thank you!

I changed it to chapter 12 to account for any differences in page count due to the many versions and formats available.

message 21: by Char (new)

Char Ok, so I hit chapter 12 at lunchtime. I didn't read it yet.
What is everyone thinking so far? I like little Stevie, but I'm nervous for her right now.

And where did that little ball go? It said it fell under the bed, but the AF guy didn't see it when he looked under there.

I don't yet see where things are gonna go with X-Ray, Nasty and that other gang kid whose name I've already forgotten!

message 22: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 99 comments Charlene wrote: "Ok, so I hit chapter 12 at lunchtime. I didn't read it yet.
What is everyone thinking so far? I like little Stevie, but I'm nervous for her right now.

And where did that little ball go? It said ..."

I keep thinking back to the sphere! It was under the bed....how did they not see it. I'm beginning to feel that "Stevie" (Dolfin) is the good guy....so who is really after her? Gang rivalries--obviously--will eventually be put to rest for the "good of all"--I mean, this was an 80's book....LOL!

message 23: by Paul (last edited Aug 27, 2013 07:17PM) (new)

Paul Martinez | 25 comments Cody’s Colorful (last?!) Dawn:
Purple, orange, muted gray, dull brown, deep crimson, burnt amber, violet, scarlet, bronze, ruddy…gold.

Here you guys are!! Thanks Jon!

I appreciated RM's great job of building empathy for the leaders of each rival gang.(Rattlers and Gades) (Team Rattler here! But I'm Hispanic!) While drawing attention to the blatant racism and segregation rampant throughout the town and the frustration and anger stirring in the hearts of the marginalized residents of Bordertown. A scared and dying town, rival gangs on the brink of a war -- an (accidental?)alien incursion, -- a body-jacked 6yr. old child -- whoa... some set-up! FUN! I have also been aware, having just finished The Providence Rider," how much Mr. McCammon has grown as a writer which is saying quite a lot. (Mostly in maintaining a smoothness to the narrative flow.) I am however equally impressed at how his unique style (involving the development of/in his characterizations that many of his contemporaries wouldn't touch. There seems to be "extra" dimensions to a McCammon character. He is always pushing the story and his characters in surprising, often "over-the-top" directions) was very much in evidence over a quarter of a century ago.

message 24: by Pamellia (new)

Pamellia (michiganparents) | 109 comments As I said over on the other thread, I'm having a heck of a time reading on my new fire. So I think I'm going to go back to my laptop and regular old kindle. I wanted to come here to leave a message, so I will get emails to go here

message 25: by Paul (last edited Aug 27, 2013 06:37PM) (new)

Paul Martinez | 25 comments I feel kind'a bad for Tom -- he is quite impotent and unable to effect the world around him throughout the book so far. His job is over, His talk to the gangs went over "really well" (sarcasm!) (though his words are echoing in Rick's mind) -- his daughter is "gone" -- his son [SPOILER ALERT!?] totally disobeys him (and pays the price.) He's literally trapped.

message 26: by Paul (new)

Paul Martinez | 25 comments Charlene wrote: "I'm in here peeking and I haven't even started yet. If anyone is reading this on a Kindle, is there a page count or chapter that ends close to page 100?
I'm reading on my Kindle, but it's through t..."

that's my problem -- it only gives you the % complete not the page # --

message 27: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 86 comments I'm just happy to be back in Inferno.

message 28: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 99 comments Paul wrote: "Charlene wrote: "I'm in here peeking and I haven't even started yet. If anyone is reading this on a Kindle, is there a page count or chapter that ends close to page 100?
I'm reading on my Kindle, b..."

Charlene, page 166 said put me at 31% ( I think). But some things on this thread I haven't gotten to yet.

message 29: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 99 comments Paul wrote: "Cody’s Colorful (last?!) Dawn:
Purple, orange, muted gray, dull brown, deep crimson, burnt amber, violet, scarlet, bronze, ruddy…gold.

Here you guys are!! Thanks Jon!

I appreciated RM's great..."

I'm not Hispanic, but for some reason empathizing with the Rattlers. I think it's because of the Sheriff's treatment of them. That's just too much--

message 30: by Char (new)

Char I changed the title threads to go by chapters instead of pages. That way it's at the same spot for everyone no matter what version or format. Our next break is up to chapter 22. I will open new threads tomorrow for the rest. No spoiler tags are needed within these threads.

message 31: by Char (new)

Char Paul, there's no chapter numbers or titles? That's odd.

message 32: by Char (new)

Char As Randolph said above Skygrid is the title of Chapter 22. The next thread is chapters 12-22.

message 33: by Char (new)

Char Ok, Paul, you're on point as far as the growth of RM as a writer. It's immediately obvious to anyone who has read the Corbett series, I would think.
I think that RM has the gift of great, real characterizations. I already want to take little Stevie in my arms and give her a big hug.
And where did the sphere go?
The only bad thing I have to say is that the initial setup took a bit longer than I like. I'm not sure if describing the whole town was necessary, but on the other hand the tightness of the community and everyone's interdependencies came through very well.

message 34: by Paul (last edited Aug 27, 2013 07:13PM) (new)

Paul Martinez | 25 comments Yes, I agree. He set out the town street by street -- being directionally challenged, I found that a bit daunting -- as well as superfluous. Who's going to remember the town's layout anyway? There are other (better) ways to make the town a "character" such as the bridge into Bordertown -- that's a nice piece of geographical symbolism. I just reread it and he does throw in some really nice details about the town mostly so as to illuminate it's dilapidated condition.

message 35: by Paul (last edited Aug 27, 2013 07:15PM) (new)

Paul Martinez | 25 comments Hey -- I just thought of somethin'... what if the ball/sphere is just invisible/transparent... and still under the bed?! Huh?!

message 36: by Paul (last edited Aug 27, 2013 07:07PM) (new)

Paul Martinez | 25 comments Preston Copper Mining Company, rimmed with gray like an ulcerous wound

...not the eyes of an eighteen-year-old. They held a cold rage like that of a wild animal catching a hunter's scent.

Every step he took brought a subtle change to his face. His eyes lost their softness, took on a hard, cold glare. His mouth tightened, became a grim and bitter line.

The screen door's hinges shrieked like a scalded cat. Cody pushed on through the flimsy wooden door into the gloom. Captured heat almost sucked the breath from his lungs, and he left the inner door open so some of it could drift out. Already he smelled the sour reek of the old man's Kentucky Gent bourbon.

Man can write.

message 37: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 99 comments Paul wrote: "Hey -- I just thought of somethin'... what if the ball/sphere is just invisible/transparent... and still under the bed?! Huh?!"

Good point!!!

I love RM's style! I will admit that it did seem like it took longer than necessary to "set the scene" for this particular novel, but nothing horrendously overbearing. Like Paul, I consider myself "directionally challenged", and found a lot of the descriptions of what lies East,
West, etc... a bit confusing. Seriously, at that point, just tell me about some key characters...

message 38: by Hunter (new)

Hunter (goathunter) | 154 comments Mod
Kimberly wrote: "Seriously, at that point, just tell me about some key characters..."

I think that's what he was doing. The town is as much a character as the people.

Hunter

message 39: by Pamellia (new)

Pamellia (michiganparents) | 109 comments For sure Inferno is a character. I do appreciate maps of towns involved in books. It helps me to place every thing, but it's not totally necessary. But when the author uses so many word to describe the town's east/west, etc, then I think a map would be nice.

When the Air Force officer looks under the bed and doesn't see the extraterrestrial sphere, I thought to myself, "Well, he is just a Captian." Sry...couldn't help myself. The style is great and I'm ready for the main story. I thought this read was to include 12?? So I did read 12 and if there are spoilers, I sry. RM is an excellant writter, as many of you have pointed out. I did wonder when the book was written and I see around 25 yrs ago.? His certainly know how to turn a phrase. The wealthy lady, really not wealthy is all in the sherrif's face and as soon as he leaves, RM begins paint a pitiful pix of her and an less and less attractive pix of the sherrif.

I am so confused about the gangs. I get them both mixed up and even did during the confrontation with Tom. BTW in what universe would that talked have turned out in a different way. Perhaps Tom is willing to look like a pile of stupid, if it just helps any of the boys (and girls) a little, but especially the leaders.

RM is at his best when he describes the take over of the young girl's body. How she was dragging herself, got up, walking and then the tic tac toe. I could just see it all happening. Then the letters. I liked the way he started showing the more human side to the colonel. It was interesting that the colonel just came right out and told Jessie the truth.

I'm pleased to be reading this book and now on to chapter 13...

message 40: by Char (new)

Char You're fine, MP. :)

I was getting the gangs a little confused at first, but I'm better with them now.
And yeah, that old lady was pretty bitchy. But you're right, in true McCammon fashion, we are soon feeling pity for her. It's amazing how he can do that.

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Okay, I'm in.

message 42: by Char (new)

Char Hey, Isaac! Nice to see you. :)

message 43: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 99 comments Hi Isaac! I fell behind today--I'll try to catch up a bit tomorrow!! :)

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, I read 20 pages and now I'm hooked. Love
McCammon's characters.

message 45: by Char (new)

Char Yeah, that tends to happen with almost any McCammon story. :)

message 46: by Pamellia (new)

Pamellia (michiganparents) | 109 comments hmmm...when do we get to start on chpt 13????

message 47: by Char (new)

Char Anytime you want! There is a thread for up to Chapter 22, up to chapter 35 and so on all the way up to the end. If you come to the Home page at Goodreads, click on the Robert McCammon group and scroll down to the topic What Shall We Be Reading, you will see all the threads for this read. :)

message 48: by Pamellia (new)

Pamellia (michiganparents) | 109 comments Charlene wrote: "Anytime you want! There is a thread for up to Chapter 22, up to chapter 35 and so on all the way up to the end. If you come to the Home page at Goodreads, click on the Robert McCammon group and sc..."

AW...thank you, my dear! I was sure you were on the ball, but I just didn't know where the ball had bounced! I'm getting a lot of reading in because I have a virus that is causing a lot of lying down and then I can try out the fire while I'm dozing off...or not doze off at all...best plan yet!! THANKS!! ~ PS

message 49: by Paul (new)

Paul Martinez | 25 comments Feel better Pam! I am way too far ahead -- doh! I know this kind'a defeats the dynamics of a buddy read! I am trying hard to contribute according to our group progress -- so... you will probably not hear from me until Tuesday!! I am continuing to read the comments though. Quasi-spoiler alert... grand horrors ahead!

message 50: by Pamellia (new)

Pamellia (michiganparents) | 109 comments Paul wrote: "Feel better Pam! I am way too far ahead -- doh! I know this kind'a defeats the dynamics of a buddy read! I am trying hard to contribute according to our group progress -- so... you will probably n..."

Thank you, Paul. I know I cannot contribute if I don't stay onschedule...but it is difficult to not read on!! Looking forward to your Tuesday comments.

« previous 1