The Next Best Book Club discussion

Newbies Corner > Saying Hello to Fellow Booklovers

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Viaangeles (new)

Viaangeles Hello Everyone!

My name is Via and I'm really addicted to reading books. While my shelf is still full of unread books, I am in a constant search for books with great stories. I even have a hobby of going to a bookstore everyweek and checking Listopia almost everyday for new titles.

Books may be a bit expensive, especially since I buy often, but I think that they are an investment that lets you experience more than the usual from life. Don't you agree?

I am so happy to have found this group. Looking forward to panicking due to the amount of books that I would love to read all at the same time.

message 2: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10035 comments Mod
Hi Via. Welcome to the group! We're glad you found us.

✿ ♥  Heather ♥ ✿ (frangiegal) | 39 comments Hi Via!!!! Welcome ! Yes I agree, I have over 500 in my To Read bookshelf but I'm always adding more nearly every day.

I kind of think of the shelf as a mini subset of what i can choose from for what I feel like reading next!

I also have a To read Soon Shelf so I don't lose one that I particularly like the sound of

And recently added book club to read for each month coming up to help organise them too.

I don't watch TV ! Lol

message 4: by Risse (new)

Risse | 5 comments If I were to buy every book i wanted, i'd possibly be broke for the rest of my life. BUt i agree, they will eventually be a good investment. that awkward moment my children arent big readers, or enjoy reading at all... :S but hopefully someone else other than myself would appreciate books the same way i have over the years. i have 100+ now and im still going. buying at least 2books a month. im hoping to read everything on my to read list but so far it keeps growing bigger instead of shrinking.

message 5: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Lawston (andrewlawston) | 17 comments I take a lot of books to charity shops once I've read them, or give them away to friends. The exceptions are ones I've picked up at signings, they have real sentimental value.

message 6: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mkc2192) Hi! I have just started again on reading books and this site has now made it a new obsession and I'm loving it. I've gotten to read so many books that I probably never would have known about. I also love looking around listopia. :D

message 7: by Leon (new)

Leon Mare (LeonMare) | 21 comments In the old days the Red Cross would phone me once a year to ask if they could send their truck. They would collect a long wheelbase pickup full of paperbacks, which they then sold for charity.

message 8: by Kyly (new)

Kyly (mermaid121) Welcome! I just recently finished all the books on my shelves.I am now reading my Fathers books.

message 9: by Viaangeles (new)

Viaangeles Thank you all for the very warm welcome! It is so nice to hear that I am not alone in my sentiments.

My to-read published in goodreads is not too big because I refrain from adding too much for fear that I won't be able to read all of them. So I keep the number low and stick to reading a few of those before I add more. Maybe I should adapt @Heather 's style of having a 'too read' and 'to read soon' shelf.

Thank you also for the wonderful ideas. Maybe I can also swap some of my books (those that I am not to fond of) with new titles. It's just that I am afraid I am too much of a pack rat when it comes to books, I like the feeling of having a small library in my room.

message 10: by Viaangeles (new)

Viaangeles Heather wrote: "Hi Via!!!! Welcome ! Yes I agree, I have over 500 in my To Read bookshelf but I'm always adding more nearly every day.

I kind of think of the shelf as a mini subset of what i can choose from for ..."

I like your idea! Me too I don't watch tv anymore.. :(

message 11: by Viaangeles (new)

Viaangeles Aalia wrote: "Hello! Lovely to find fellow book readers. Every week, I have new books in my shelf. I have a theoretical one too, because if I do buy paper books so often, I'll go broke. Even though I don't pref..."

I know. I like it when books look old with their pages turning yellow already. I especially like the hardbound ones but they are too expensive :(

Totally agree on Harry Potter. In fact, I am thinking of buying the whole set in hard bound. My first five books are paperback.

message 12: by Viaangeles (new)

Viaangeles Melissa "Tickyette" wrote: "Hi! I have just started again on reading books and this site has now made it a new obsession and I'm loving it. I've gotten to read so many books that I probably never would have known about. I als..."

Hi there Melissa! I can spend hours just looking the the titles in Listopia. Hahaha.

message 13: by Viaangeles (new)

Viaangeles Andrew wrote: "I take a lot of books to charity shops once I've read them, or give them away to friends. The exceptions are ones I've picked up at signings, they have real sentimental value."

That is so nice. I need to learn how to let go once I've read something already. I find it hard to part with books. I am just usually willing to give away books that I don't really like.

Lately I have given away teeny young adult books to my younger cousins since I have outgrown them already. So far that was all I can manage...

message 14: by Viaangeles (new)

Viaangeles Leon wrote: "In the old days the Red Cross would phone me once a year to ask if they could send their truck. They would collect a long wheelbase pickup full of paperbacks, which they then sold for charity."

Hmm I wonder if our Red Cross here also has that option. I'll check.

message 15: by Viaangeles (new)

Viaangeles Kyly wrote: "Welcome! I just recently finished all the books on my shelves.I am now reading my Fathers books."

Haha, if I will run through my Father's collection, all I will find are James Bond books!

message 16: by Sabrina Marielle (new)

Sabrina Marielle (sabrinamarielle) | 1 comments Hi :) Sabrina here! Uhm.. I love to read and eat. Haha :))

message 17: by Nhi (new)

Nhi (bunnhi) Hello everyone! I'm Nhi & I have a passion for books. I'm currently reading American Wasteland for my college class, which I'm finding to be quite interesting. I love all the genres but I'm partial to fantasy. And I'd love it if I could make more friends! :3

message 18: by J.H. (new)

J.H. Cardwell (jhcardwell) | 1 comments Hi! I am new to this group, but I am SO looking forward to 'talking' with you all. I Love, love...did I mention LOVE to read. I find I neglect my children to finish reading a book (sorry girls and baby Jake). Anyhow, I love reading so much I decided to write my own stories.

I can totally get lost in a good book, and I often finish a 400 page book in a day if I have a lot of wait time; or if I am begging for a terrible next day and stay up until 2am reading.

I love the smell of paperback! I love the idea of tabbing pages. However, in the past year I starting buying books on my i-pad, and I have a much happier husband. He isn't being blinded by the lamp any longer.

I am looking forward to hearing about new books, or old books I haven't read from this forum. I LOVE the idea of getting first-hand accounts.

Thanks to all for putting the time and effort into making a happy reading experience!!!

J. H. Cardwell (Julie)

message 19: by Kyly (new)

Kyly (mermaid121) Hi! welcome!

message 20: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 36 comments Re Via's post on not watching TV much any more. I agree--most of it is sadly repetitive and predictable. That said, I think as readers we can tell when we're watching a program that was actually written by a real writer.

I'm thinking here of Aaron Sorkin's The Newsroom, which I think has a moral center and absorbing characterizations.

Shelley, Rain: A Dust Bowl Story
http://dustbowlstory.wordpress.com