The Black Library discussion

Black Library > General | Introductions

Comments Showing 1-50 of 119 (119 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Shawn (new)

Shawn (stk_kreations) Hey all, Shawn here, been away from all types of groups for a long time but going to try and check in every once in awhile. Back when I joined Goodreads there were NO Warhammer or 40k groups -- well, there still doesn't seem to be any, other than this one that I can tell. It's truly a shame.

I'm not big into group readings, solely because of my work schedule and I never know when I'll get to read. I do, however love book discussions, so I would enjoy seeing anyone starting one for whichever book they like and see where it goes...?

As big as the Warhammer world and 40k universes are, there should have limitless possibilities. Well that's it for me. Hope to meet some interesting people/fans here!

message 2: by Garry (new)

Garry | 36 comments Hey all. I'm a huge horus heresy fan, I'm open to other fans of the series adding me as a friend on here. I don't normally start discussions but I do join in when someone starts them.

message 3: by Shawn (new)

Shawn (stk_kreations) Garry wrote: "Hey all. I'm a huge horus heresy fan, I'm open to other fans of the series adding me as a friend on here. I don't normally start discussions but I do join in when someone starts them."

Nice to meet you Garry. I'm still fairly new to the 40k world (as far as novels go), but I'm collecting them all (including the hardcover HH books). I've only actually read the 'Eisenhorn' series so far, and 'Games Day Anthologies.'

message 4: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Schreader | 5 comments Hey all,
Steve here, new to the group. I Play Warhammer and WH40K, Have read many of Black Library's vast array of Books, and just recently began reading the Horus Heresy Series. Loved them all so far by the way, fantastic job on the part of the authors. Currently I'm finished with Fulgrim and am trying to find a copy of Descent of Angels so I can continue the series. So far favorite Book is Flight of the Eisentstien mainlybecuase I'm a huge Nurgle Fan.

Good to meet all of you and to talk 40K and Fantasy Fiction in the worlds of Warhammer.

Steve

message 5: by Shawn (new)

Shawn (stk_kreations) Good to meet you too Steve. I haven't played the tabletop game -- read a lot of Warhammer and collecting 40k while reading my older books right now. Try to brush up on the lore of 40k whenever I can -- there's so much of it it's almost impossible to keep everything straight.

If you don't mind paying you can get the new hardcover edition of 'Descent of Angels' or just order the mass market from BAM or Amazon.

message 6: by Dylan (new)

Dylan Murphy | 104 comments Hey all, I have been in the group a little bit and have been reading HH and 40K and what not for about 2 years.
I am collecting as many of the novels(in as good of condition as possible) and have quite a few so far.
I think my favourite books so far have Flesh of Cretacia, Fulgrim, Mephiston:Lord of Death(a LE), and the Iron Warriors Omnibus.

I would recommend the hardcover HH books if you have the cash to invest. I have them all so far, and they look amazing!

message 7: by Shawn (new)

Shawn (stk_kreations) Yes, I agree the hardcovers are very nice -- just make sure you order from BL and not Games Workshop. I ordered one from GW because they accept PayPal, and I received it in horrible condition and lousy packing.

I also wish they were normal hardcover size, but they're still nice and I will continue collecting them.

message 8: by Peter (last edited Aug 29, 2013 06:43AM) (new)

Peter | 1 comments Hi everybody
I'm a inconditional fan of several warhammer series like Horus Heresy, Eisenhorn,and Gaunts Ghosts !
Glad to meet fans from all around the world...!

message 9: by Dylan (new)

Dylan Murphy | 104 comments Im glad I have been ordering mind from BL! Thanks for the warning!

message 10: by Shawn (new)

Shawn (stk_kreations) Welcome Peter.

No prob Dylan! I'm kinda stuck with the one I got from GW. I'll have to work on my credit card balance so I can get them all from BL! Haha. But they keep coming out with Limited Editions that I have to get lol.

message 11: by Dylan (last edited Aug 30, 2013 06:09AM) (new)

Dylan Murphy | 104 comments I understand your pain!
The only limited edition as far as the HH goes that I don't have is Brotherhood of the Storm, but I have gotten all the other ones!
Other limited editions I focus a little less on. I have The Unkindness of Ravens and Mephiston: Lord of Death, I cannot wait for the new Tallarn LE!

message 12: by Shawn (new)

Shawn (stk_kreations) Yeah I passed on all the previous ones. My first one will be Scorched Earth. And now I have to get the prior HH ones, along with Mephiston because that's supposed to be a new line of books. Downside is I'd have to pay a lot more than retail on eBay to get them *sigh
Basically all are around $100!!

This isn't supposed to be a complaining thread lol but I also hate the fact that BL has limited, event only products!! Ughh I don't live in the UK!!

message 13: by Dylan (new)

Dylan Murphy | 104 comments Lol, well, since I am able to get the limited ones and dont mind paying more for them, I dont mind the exclusives.

message 14: by Jeff (new)

Jeff (sherigon) Hello all, big fan of all that is Warhammer. From Fantasy to 40k, I have read all kinds of Black Library books, although I am new to 40k this year.

message 15: by Shawn (new)

Shawn (stk_kreations) Dylan wrote: "Lol, well, since I am able to get the limited ones and dont mind paying more for them, I dont mind the exclusives."

I'm very close to obtaining all of the past ones that I missed! even the 'weekender' HH exclusive 'Imperial Truth'!! I'm very excited...until I get the bill of course lol

message 16: by Shawn (new)

Shawn (stk_kreations) Jeff wrote: "Hello all, big fan of all that is Warhammer. From Fantasy to 40k, I have read all kinds of Black Library books, although I am new to 40k this year."

Welcome Jeff. I'm just now seriously getting into the sci-fi scene as well -- hardcore fantasy fan up to now. Everything about 40k is amazingly interesting; there's so much to learn and lose yourself in.

message 17: by Dylan (new)

Dylan Murphy | 104 comments Shawn wrote: "Dylan wrote: "Lol, well, since I am able to get the limited ones and dont mind paying more for them, I dont mind the exclusives."

I'm very close to obtaining all of the past ones that I missed! ev..."

I have that one, I haven't read it yet, but I do indeed have it xD
I want those two weekender anthologies from last year!
I can't even find them online for less than $150!

message 18: by Shawn (new)

Shawn (stk_kreations) Dylan wrote: "Shawn wrote: "Dylan wrote: "Lol, well, since I am able to get the limited ones and dont mind paying more for them, I dont mind the exclusives."

I'm very close to obtaining all of the past ones tha..."

hmm, which anthologies??? what's the titles? I don't think I know about those -- I have the regular Games Day anthologies...

My LE collection will soon include the following:
- Imperial Truth
- Brotherhood of the Storm
- Scorched Earth
- Mephiston
- Aurelian
- Corax: Soulforge

Which ones am I missing? besides the yet-to-be-released LE HH novella later this month. I'm also thinking of getting the new edition of Space Marine Codex with the amazing Raymond Swanland cover art!! even though I don't play the game -- I'm hoping there's enough fluff in there to constitute the price.

message 19: by Dylan (new)

Dylan Murphy | 104 comments Shawn wrote: "Dylan wrote: "Shawn wrote: "Dylan wrote: "Lol, well, since I am able to get the limited ones and dont mind paying more for them, I dont mind the exclusives."

I'm very close to obtaining all of the..."

Well, I assume you got the re-released Promethean Sun, and maybe the re-released Daenyathos.
Um, It seems to me that you are missing "The Unkindness of Ravens"
Though you have the rest of them
The 2 weekender anthologies are literally called "Black Library Weekender Anthology Volume 1 and 2"
I am only missing Brotherhood of the Storm because I am not a huge White Scar fan, and can wait for the cheaper release.
What about chapbooks? I have one of them that has the Dark Eldar story lol

I think there was also a Time of Legends LE release that tied into the elves story.

message 20: by Shawn (new)

Shawn (stk_kreations) Dylan wrote: "Shawn wrote: "Dylan wrote: "Shawn wrote: "Dylan wrote: "Lol, well, since I am able to get the limited ones and dont mind paying more for them, I dont mind the exclusives."

I'm very close to obtain..."

I haven't gotten 'Promethean Sun' or 'Daenyathos' yet -- they seem to be available indefinitely on the BL site. I'm trying to scrounge up the LEs first (I can live with the $20 versions of those two haha).

I've got 'Unkindness of Ravens' on my search list, just have to find it. The Weekender Anthologies have very original titles haha -- I'll probably be missing those forever, unless they re-release... are they hardcover? I kind of only care about the hardcover ones.

You think they'll re-release 'Brotherhood of the Storm'? hmm, do they usually do that with LE editions? minus 'Promethean Sun'.

I'm too concerned with chapbooks, they don't seem substantial enough for my money.

I'm sure if there was a Time of Legends LE it'll probably be included in the omnibus when it releases; although, I don't remember ever seeing one, unless it was a long time ago.

message 21: by Shawn (new)

Shawn (stk_kreations) Do you think the Codex books would be a waste of money for me if I'm only interested in the background/info?

message 22: by Dylan (new)

Dylan Murphy | 104 comments Shawn wrote: "Dylan wrote: "Shawn wrote: "Dylan wrote: "Shawn wrote: "Dylan wrote: "Lol, well, since I am able to get the limited ones and dont mind paying more for them, I dont mind the exclusives."

I'm very c..."

The weekender anthologies are hardcover.

They ARE re-releasing ALL of the limited editions into a non-limited format. That would be absolute bullshit for those that missed it the first time.
In fact they have already re-realeased a pretty decent number of them.

And as far as Codices, I personally wouldn't as I like the story more than the ever changing "facts", but if you like it, get it.

message 23: by Shawn (new)

Shawn (stk_kreations) Well s***! I guess I should be more patient then. It's so hard to know anything since their site only updates upcoming releases a month out.

I guess I can look for those weekender anthologies. Let me know if you find some.

message 24: by Jeff (new)

Jeff (sherigon) Shawn, the Codexes are filled with background. The first half of the book is usually nothing but backstory. The descriptions of the units themselves is interesting and can give you a better vision when they are mentioned or described in novels. There are game stats but overall, I personally feel you would like the amount of background they provide.

message 25: by Shawn (new)

Shawn (stk_kreations) Jeff wrote: "Shawn, the Codexes are filled with background. The first half of the book is usually nothing but backstory. The descriptions of the units themselves is interesting and can give you a better vision ..."

Thanks Jeff. I wasn't really looking until the new Space Marine Codex came out. Aside from Raymonds awesome cover, I figured they'd talk about each Chapter, or at least the original set. Think I'll go ahead and get that one.

message 26: by Dylan (new)

Dylan Murphy | 104 comments Shawn wrote: "Well s***! I guess I should be more patient then. It's so hard to know anything since their site only updates upcoming releases a month out.

I guess I can look for those weekender anthologies. Le..."

I found some and ordered them. 100GBP. SO MUCH MONEY!

message 27: by Shawn (new)

Shawn (stk_kreations) Yep! That's close to the average I've been finding all the LEs. But I've got almost all now. If you find those anthologies somewhere else let me know.

message 28: by Dylan (new)

Dylan Murphy | 104 comments I will!

message 29: by Dylan (new)

Dylan Murphy | 104 comments Tom wrote: "Elloo, big fan of the Black Librarys' books so thought I'd join this group :)"

Welcome battle brother!

message 30: by Dorthe (new)

Dorthe (dortheaabom) | 2 comments Hi all, I've been lurking in the background for a bit and thought I should introduce myself.

I am not into gaming; but before accompanying my son to the Weekender last year I felt I ought to read something (going to a publisher's event without having read any of their books? Nope).

I asked my son for a book to begin on, and he handed me the Eisenhorn trilogy. Well, I was hooked.
While at the Weekender, I started in on Gaunt's Ghosts; I have a couple of those yet unread - saving them for a certain journey to the Midlands on 1st November :o)

Right now, I'm reading Pariah (and, of course, I've read the Ravenor trilogy in between).

And yes, I do plan to branch out from Dan Abnett's books ... the Horus Heresy is sitting there on the shelf, waiting.

message 31: by Dylan (new)

Dylan Murphy | 104 comments Dorthe wrote: "Hi all, I've been lurking in the background for a bit and thought I should introduce myself.

I am not into gaming; but before accompanying my son to the Weekender last year I felt I ought to read..."

I haven't really gotten into the GG books, and honestly it is rather low on my list :p
I would really recommend any of the omnibuses, as they are the best bang for your buck.
I am extremely jealous of your trip to the weekender btw, I plan to go to the one in 2014 lol

message 32: by Miles (new)

Miles Batty | 1 comments Weekender here i come too

message 33: by Chris (new)

Chris Quinn | 20 comments No weekender for me :( I did make the BL Live Dublin though which was great. The authors were really friendly, I got to have a great long chat with John French and Guy Haley. The seminars were great too.

message 34: by Shawn (new)

Shawn (stk_kreations) Welcome to all the new peeps! I'm currently not reading anything BL, so I'll have to wait til I'm done with Michael Sullivan's stuff to post what I'm reading haha -- although my 40k collection has grown to about double since my last read.

I wish I could attend a Weekender, but gots too many bills to afford a trip over the pond.

message 35: by Dylan (new)

Dylan Murphy | 104 comments Shawn wrote: "Welcome to all the new peeps! I'm currently not reading anything BL, so I'll have to wait til I'm done with Michael Sullivan's stuff to post what I'm reading haha -- although my 40k collection has ..."

What have you added to your collection??
I have been getting some non-BL stuff as well :p

message 36: by Shawn (new)

Shawn (stk_kreations) Dylan wrote: "Shawn wrote: "Welcome to all the new peeps! I'm currently not reading anything BL, so I'll have to wait til I'm done with Michael Sullivan's stuff to post what I'm reading haha -- although my 40k c..."

As far as BL goes:
Corax: Soulforge
Catechism of Hate
Traitor's Gorge
Scorched Earth
Brotherhood of the Storm
Aurelian
The Imperial Truth
Unkindness of Ravens
Word Bearers Omnibus
Space Marine Codex
------
Non-BL:
The Thousand Names (Debut by Django Wexler)
Memories of Ice Subterranean Press Edition
Some Terry Brooks
Prequel duology by Michael Sullivan

I'm sure there's some more, it gets hard to keep track -- I've been slacking on my catalog program haha.

message 37: by Lee (new)

Lee Frost | 7 comments Just a query people, is the weekender worth going too? For once I won't be working! I've been ploughing through BL books for the past year, (since getting back into the hobby). Experiences appreciated...

message 38: by Dylan (new)

Dylan Murphy | 104 comments Lee wrote: "Just a query people, is the weekender worth going too? For once I won't be working! I've been ploughing through BL books for the past year, (since getting back into the hobby). Experiences apprecia..."

I would literally kill to go the the weekender.
So many authors, early releases, fans, seminars, etc.

If you have the money, I would definitely say go.

message 39: by Dylan (new)

Dylan Murphy | 104 comments Shawn wrote: "Dylan wrote: "Shawn wrote: "Welcome to all the new peeps! I'm currently not reading anything BL, so I'll have to wait til I'm done with Michael Sullivan's stuff to post what I'm reading haha -- alt..."

I understand, I have all of those as well, except Catechsim of Hate, as I read a torrented version and wasn't really a fan. I will pick it up when it comes out in general release here soon.
You haven't gotten the Angels of Death Anthology yet??

I got the 2 weekender anthologies in the post the other day, they look beautiful.

message 40: by Shawn (new)

Shawn (stk_kreations) Dylan wrote: "Shawn wrote: "Dylan wrote: "Shawn wrote: "Welcome to all the new peeps! I'm currently not reading anything BL, so I'll have to wait til I'm done with Michael Sullivan's stuff to post what I'm readi..."

I don't think I've ever heard of the 'Angels of Death Anthology'...how old is it?

Think I've got most everything else, if not I'll just wait on general release -- with exception of the new exclusives that come out on the BL site.

message 41: by Dylan (new)

Dylan Murphy | 104 comments Shawn wrote: "Dylan wrote: "Shawn wrote: "Dylan wrote: "Shawn wrote: "Welcome to all the new peeps! I'm currently not reading anything BL, so I'll have to wait til I'm done with Michael Sullivan's stuff to post ..."

Angels of Death Anthology is brand new, it was released at Games DayUK and is going to be at the Weekender.

message 42: by Shawn (new)

Shawn (stk_kreations) Hmm...must have been left out of the BL email -- big surprise. Something else I have to look for haha. Might just wait on it though--have to conserve a little.

Any idea what the difference will be in the Collectors Edition of the new Visions (besides leather bound and slipcased) and the hardcover listed on Amazon for 1/5 the price!?...

message 43: by Chris (new)

Chris Quinn | 20 comments They have the Angels of Death anthology available as an ebook (well a zip file of multiple ebooks) up on the website. They had a new story up on the website every day for September and they collected them together in the Anthology.

As far as I can see the difference is the collectors edition will be two fancy leather bound books in a case with a few minor extras, while the regular edition will be a single hardback. I've been collecting the hardbacks and the limited edition novellas, but I can't justify forking out nearly 200 euro for an art book. That's insane. Regular edition for me.

message 44: by Dylan (new)

Dylan Murphy | 104 comments LE: The size of Forge World HH books, Leather Bound, Slipcase, split into 2 books.
Normal: The same size as collected visions, not leatherbound, no slipcase, normal HH cover and dust jacket(so not embossed/embroidered/etc.)

message 45: by Shawn (new)

Shawn (stk_kreations) Yeah think I'll go with the regular version -- their prices are getting outrageous. I don't know what forge world sizes are...?? I've asked BL a long time ago about posting size dimensions on their products, they said they were looking into it and still nothing.

As far as the anthology thing goes guess I'll have to pass until its regularly available -- I'm not a big ebook fan.

message 46: by Dylan (new)

Dylan Murphy | 104 comments Shawn wrote: "Yeah think I'll go with the regular version -- their prices are getting outrageous. I don't know what forge world sizes are...?? I've asked BL a long time ago about posting size dimensions on their..."

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPACE-MARINES...

Not just in ebook man.

message 47: by Shawn (new)

Shawn (stk_kreations) Cool, thanks! Too bad it doesn't have artwork that wasn't already used on the codex :-/

message 48: by Dylan (new)

Dylan Murphy | 104 comments I still like the artwork:p

message 49: by Chris (new)

Chris Quinn | 20 comments The BL cover artwork has been getting better and better recently. The Sisters of Battle codex cover is amazing.

message 50: by Shawn (new)

Shawn (stk_kreations) Yeah I love the art that's on the anthology (Raymond Swanland -- took far too long to get him working for BL), but I already have the codex. The art is a big part for me, I don't want to pay for something they just threw together.

« previous 1 3