Something Old, Something New discussion

General Chit Chat > What Are You Currently Reading and What Do You Think So Far?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 94 (94 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

Michelle (shelld79) | 754 comments Mod
I am about to start reading Two for the Dough (Stephanie Plum, #2) by Janet Evanovich as I'm in desperate need for something a bit light and fluffy at the moment while I still keep trying to finish The Passage (The Passage, #1) by Justin Cronin .

message 2: by Sharon (new)

Sharon I'm reading What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty enjoying it so far.

message 3: by Elaine (new)

Elaine | 140 comments I'm reading Burial Rites Burial Rites by Hannah Kent . I'm not quite sure about it. It's beautifully written but I'm half way through and the story hasn't really grasped me yet. I so wanted to love this book!!!

message 4: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

Elaine wrote: "I'm reading Burial RitesBurial Rites by Hannah Kent. I'm not quite sure about it. It's beautifully written but I'm half way through and the story hasn't really grasped me yet. I so wanted to ..."

Burial Rites was the pick for my real life booklub last month but I'd only just joined so didn't get a chance to read it prior to their meeting.
There was a lot of mixed feelings in the group about it. Some loved it and some didn't.

message 5: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

I'm currently re-reading The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower, #1) by Stephen King which is the first in the Dark Tower series. It has to be at least 10 years since I first read this series and starting this book has ignited the passion I had for it again!
I make it a point to never re-read books because there are just too many new ones to get to but I just felt the pull of this series again and couldn't help myself.

message 6: by Jason (new)

Jason Parent | 7 comments Just finished. Let us know what you think.

message 7: by Jason (new)

Jason Parent | 7 comments I'm now reading Savage Species (Savage Species, #1-5) by Jonathan Janz , which is awesome. Burning through it. Non-stop horror/thriller

message 8: by Kate S (new)

Kate S I am just starting Life After Life by Kate Atkinson . I am about 80 pages in, and have not yet decided what to think. The writing is fabulous, the story is, as yet, unclear.

message 9: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

Kate S wrote: "I am just starting Life After Life by Kate Atkinson. I am about 80 pages in, and have not yet decided what to think. The writing is fabulous, the story is, as yet, unclear."

I've heard so many mixed reviews about this one that I'd be interested in what you think. From what I can tell it's one of those books that you either love or hate.

message 10: by Kate S (new)

Kate S I have heard amazing things about Kate Atkinson and this is my first by her. I am hoping I like it. But even if the story doesn't work for me, the writing is really good and I will probably try another book by her in the future. But we will see. I will probably finish this one on Monday and will let you know what I think.

message 11: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

Jason wrote: "I'm now reading Savage Species (Savage Species, #1-5) by Jonathan Janz, which is awesome. Burning through it. Non-stop horror/thriller"

Oh how I do love a good horror. I haven't really read a great one in quite a while though so this one might have to go on my TBR I think.

message 12: by Sharon (new)

Sharon I'm reading Joyland by Stephen King I've not read much of his but this one is quite an easy read.

message 13: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

I recently started Stiff The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach and am finding it absolutely fascinating at the moment.
I love reading books like these and am hoping that it continues to be as good.
I also recently started A Wicked Kind of Dark by Jonathan K. Benton for a book review tour I'm on but I haven't really gotten far enough into it yet to make a decision as to how I feel about it yet.

message 14: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Started Thursdays in the Park by Hilary Boyd Thursdays in the Park by Hilary Boyd I'm enjoying it so far.

message 15: by Kate S (new)

Kate S I am currently working my way through Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies. It's funny because it reads like a group of lectures. I am enjoying this style and finding the amount of information overwhelming, but digest-able (I may be making this word up, it felt more appropriate than any actual word I could access).

message 16: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

I don't know if I'm going to be able to finish my current read A Wicked Kind of Dark by Jonathan K. Benton .
I very, very, rarely give up on a book because a have a bit of OCD that I just have to finish no matter what but this book is just not grabbing me at all and I'm finding myself doing everything else possible except sit down and keep reading it.
Time to throw in the towel I think.......

message 17: by Simone (new)

Simone Ramone (simoneramone) | 19 comments Elaine wrote: "I'm reading Burial RitesBurial Rites by Hannah Kent. I'm not quite sure about it. It's beautifully written but I'm half way through and the story hasn't really grasped me yet. I so wanted to ..."

Same here.It's hypnotic but slow.

message 18: by Simone (new)

Simone Ramone (simoneramone) | 19 comments Michelle wrote: "Kate S wrote: "I am just starting Life After Life by Kate Atkinson. I am about 80 pages in, and have not yet decided what to think. The writing is fabulous, the story is, as yet, unclear."

I..."

I got bored and it was one of 2 I abandoned this year.Too stop start, not enough interest in the characters to keep going through it.

message 19: by Simone (new)

Simone Ramone (simoneramone) | 19 comments I just finished The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman and thought it was fabulous.I felt like a kid again reading it.

message 20: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

Simone wrote: "Elaine wrote: "I'm reading Burial RitesBurial Rites by Hannah Kent. I'm not quite sure about it. It's beautifully written but I'm half way through and the story hasn't really grasped me yet. ..."

I'm still undecided about this book. My real life bookclub was so divided after reading it that I just don't know whether to bother or not?

message 21: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

Simone wrote: "I just finishedThe Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaimanand thought it was fabulous.I felt like a kid again reading it."

I haven't actually read anything by Neil Gaiman yet. Our group read Coraline by Neil Gaiman is going to be my first ever book by him.

message 22: by Simone (new)

Simone Ramone (simoneramone) | 19 comments Once I closed Ocean, I downloaded a sample of everything he's done.
Looking forward to Coraline.

message 23: by Robert (new)

Robert :) I just finished The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman as well. It was amazing, and it really hooked me. So, with that read, as well as Stardust by Neil Gaiman last year, I set out to read American Gods by Neil Gaiman as well. The reviews were good, but now that I'm reading it, the content seems a bit too mature. Usually I'm not bad at digesting the occasional sexual references, seeing as I've found more serious fiction to be to my taste, but the scenes were a little graphic. Is it worth continuing anyway?

message 24: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

I'm currently still trudging through The Secret Lives of Dresses by Erin McKean . This book really isn't me and if it wasn't for the fact that I want to have something to discuss at my real life bookclub next month I would not be finishing it.....
I also started The Preservationist by Justin Kramon a bit early last night so that I could have a break from that other book. I haven't gotten far enough into it yet to really have much of an opinion.

message 25: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

I decided to start The Preservationist by Justin Kramon a little early after having to abandon my last book. It's been interesting so far and I'm intrigued as to where it is heading.

message 26: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Currently reading The Outback Heart by Fiona Palmer The Outback Heart by Fiona Palmer
I'm enjoying it so far.

message 27: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

I felt like I needed a light read at the moment so I'm currently getting through Love Gone to the Dogs by Margaret Daley which is a cute little Amazon freebie I downloaded a while ago.
It's got a beagle in it so I couldn't resist as I will read or buy anything beagle related!

message 28: by Simone (new)

Simone Ramone (simoneramone) | 19 comments Reading Edgar Rice Burroughs' John Carter # 1. Disregarding the racism, so far, it's fabulous.

message 29: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

I'm currently reading The Good Guy by Dean Koontz by Dean Koontz. It's not really horror enough for Halloween but it's a psychological thriller that I'm quite enjoying so far.

message 30: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

I'm still trudging through The Good Guy by Dean Koontz. It's an ok story so far but definitely not one of his best.
Once my stupid exam is over I can have some proper reading time back again without feeling guilty and like I should be studying.

message 31: by Simone (new)

Simone Ramone (simoneramone) | 19 comments I'm a third into Teacher ManI loved the first few chapters but it's trailing off a bit.

Just finishedStiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadaversand loved it...wish I hadn't read the chapter on air travel though.

message 32: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

Simone wrote: "I'm a third into Teacher ManI loved the first few chapters but it's trailing off a bit.

Just finishedStiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadaversand loved it...wish I hadn't read the chapter on air ..."

Stiff was one of the best non-fiction books I have read in a long time. I'm so glad you liked it too!

message 33: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

I'm currently reading Darkness First: A McCabe and Savage Thriller Darkness First A McCabe and Savage Thriller by James Hayman which has been really good so far.
I also started listening to 11/22/63 11/22/63 by Stephen King yesterday and it's a bit different to what I was expecting so far but still good none the less.

message 34: by Rene (new)

Rene (twobookminimum) | 3 comments I just started Blood Red Road by Moira Young. So far I'm not really into it. I was told it will pick up though.

message 35: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

I'm currently still reading Darkness First: A McCabe and Savage Thriller Darkness First A McCabe and Savage Thriller by James Hayman which I loved from the first page, as well as Odd Thomas Odd Thomas (Odd Thomas, #1) by Dean Koontz which I'm not liking as much as I hoped I would. I'm also trudging through The Carrie Diaries The Carrie Diaries (The Carrie Diaries, #1) by Candace Bushnell which I am seriously regretting ever picking up now.....

I'm still also listening to 11/22/63 11/22/63 by Stephen King and am loving it so far. I'm almost halfway through so I can't see me finishing it before the new year at this rate.

message 36: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

I've just started reading I Am Pilgrim I Am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes for my real life bookclub and I think it's going to be an awesome read judging by how gripping it has been from the start.
It's a bit of a whopper of a book though so it's probably going to take me a while to get through.

message 37: by Sharon (new)

Sharon I'm currently reading Still Alice by Lisa Genova Still Alice by Lisa Genova

I'm really enjoying it so far :)

message 38: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

I'm still currently reading I Am Pilgrim I Am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes which has been an awesome book but is now starting to seem a bit too long and I'm hanging to finally get it finished.
I've also almost finished listening to 11/22/63 11/22/63 by Stephen King which has just been utterly fascinating.
I've also proudly made a good start on Doctor Sleep Doctor Sleep (The Shining, #2) by Stephen King for our January read and can't wait to finish I Am Pilgrim for my real life bookclub meeting so I can concentrate on reading this book more.

message 39: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

I'm currently reading Hiding in Sunshine Hiding in Sunshine by John Stuart which was our November read last year (better late than never!)
It started off a bit slow but got a lot faster and more interesting at around 20% in so I am intrigued to see what happens now!

message 40: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

I'm currently reading Swan Song Swan Song by Robert R. McCammon which I'm finally starting to get into the good stuff in now as well as finally starting Burning the Middle Ground Burning the Middle Ground by L. Andrew Cooper which I haven't really gotten a good feel for as yet.
I'm also reading on and off Nutrition Guide for Mums: Healthy eating tips for you and your children Nutrition Guide for Mums Healthy eating tips for you and your children by Diana Artene to try and get some ideas to get my fussy toddler to eat more and listening to the audio of The Drawing of the Three The Drawing of the Three (The Dark Tower, #2) by Stephen King in the car when driving around for work.

message 41: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

So, I'm still trudging through Swan Song but now I am also speeding through Inside of a Dog: What Dogs See, Smell, and Know Inside of a Dog What Dogs See, Smell, and Know by Alexandra Horowitz which I'm really enjoying so far.
I'm also a little way into The Book Thief The Book Thief by Markus Zusak but am finding it a bit slow going, mainly because I've already seen the movie so don't have that feeling of anticipation of what is going to happen next which makes me pick up a book to keep reading it.

message 42: by Kate S (new)

Kate S I am currently reading World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War and enjoying it far more than I expected. This could be a novel about any kind of world wide epidemic or war situation. The zombie aspect is almost non-essential (so far) that even a person with no interest in reading about zombies (me) can enjoy it.

message 43: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

Kate S wrote: "I am currently reading World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War and enjoying it far more than I expected. This could be a novel about any kind of world wide epidemic or war situa..."

I really enjoyed this book when I read it. I was surprised by the way it was written and found it refreshing because of the interview style writing.
Have you seen the movie? It's so different from the book that I was a little disappointed.

message 44: by Kate S (new)

Kate S I am a pretty big believer in reading the book before watching the movie. As I said, I am not a huge fan of the zombie genre in any way, so the movie has not been high on my list. This book came available at my library at a time when it works really well for two of my reading challenges, so I decided to brave it. I may choose to watch the movie in a few weeks when my husband decides he is ready.

message 45: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Currently reading : Beautiful Malice by Rebecca James Beautiful Malice by Rebecca James

I'm really enjoying it :)

message 46: by Elaine (new)

Elaine | 140 comments Michelle wrote: "Kate S wrote: "I am currently reading World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War and enjoying it far more than I expected. This could be a novel about any kind of world wide epidem..."

My son read the book and saw the movie. He loved the book but like you Michelle, he was disappointed in the movie.

message 47: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

Elaine wrote: "Michelle wrote: "Kate S wrote: "I am currently reading World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War and enjoying it far more than I expected. This could be a novel about any kind of ..."

If I hadn't have read the book first I probably would have loved the movie. Also, I could never be too disappointed with something that has Brad Pitt in it :-)
I just get annoyed when they change so many obvious scenes in a movie that is based on a book.

message 48: by Elaine (new)

Elaine | 140 comments Michelle wrote: "Elaine wrote: "Michelle wrote: "Kate S wrote: "I am currently reading World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War and enjoying it far more than I expected. This could be a novel abo..."

I can totally relate to that. I'm the same and that's why I almost always read the book before I see the movie. I recently saw The Book Thief and that was such an accurate interpretation of the book. It makes me happy when it's like that. One movie I saw before reading the book was The Green Mile but both the movie and the book were awesome.

message 49: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

Elaine wrote: "Michelle wrote: "Elaine wrote: "Michelle wrote: "Kate S wrote: "I am currently reading World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War and enjoying it far more than I expected. This cou..."

Oh that's great ro know. I've got the Green Mile recorded to watch but haven't gotten to it yet because I wanted to read the book first. Now I'm even more keen to read and watch it!

message 50: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

I'm currently in the middle of a few books and really need to put my head down and just finish them.

Currently I'm reading Inside of a Dog: What Dogs See, Smell, and Know, Lisey's Story and Swan Song.
I'm also listening to Grave Peril in the car when driving around for work.

« previous 1