Fool's Errand (Tawny Man, #1)
This topic is about Fool's Errand
Book 7 - Fool's Errand > fool's errand part 5 > chapters 21 to 25

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Hanne (hanne2) | 791 comments Mod
chapters 21 to 25

ch21 - i'm a bit disapointed by these hunting cats, i thought they would have put up a better fight. however i'm glad they got through it in one piece, hopefully the pursuers will not turn on nighteyes now!

i'm a little bit astonished by the protective instict of the cat that is not fully witted to dutiful but to someone else (likely part of the pack?)
i would think that in time of need the cat would choose it's witted partner not the prince he is misleading.
maybe the cat really is sort of bonded to both?

ch22 - i'm just rushing through this, but i can't stop!
plus i'm stuck ill at home, not ill enough to sleep 20 hours a day, but too ill to be outside or work or do anything else.

first of all, on the introduction, it's good to finally see confirmed why i struggled to believe that Amber was the fool. The fool, being a white prophet, was unhumanly pale. And amber definitely not.
Which begs the question what really happened to the fool to change his colouring? does it happen after you save the world once? :)

secondly, the cat-girl thing finally makes sense. so there was a huntress who found the cat, they bonded but she is now dead.
we should have known. robin hobb showed us a similar case of the girl-deer earlier this book. which is why the cat is so utterly cunning and rational. it's the girl who rides her that is on a mission.
i guess the girl might have been killed the piebald way, and is big on revenge right now, making somehow a spectacle of the prince?

message 4: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 432 comments Sorry you're not feeling well. At least you have a good book to keep you occupied. Then another after that (The Lies of Locke Lamora)

message 5: by Hanne (last edited Aug 27, 2013 07:10AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

ch23 continued. where are they? these are elderling portals so it might be somewhere near liveship trader territory?
beaches and cliffs, could be Other Island?

would it be cool if the stunted dragons come back to lay their eggs and take fitz and the prince home?
or better even, if the fool would be riding the stunted dragons?
aa one can dream!

Rob wrote: "Sorry you're not feeling well. At least you have a good book to keep you occupied. Then another after that (The Lies of Locke Lamora)"
it's ok, i'll survive :)
i got the book now, but i think i'll try to finish Hobb first. i don't do well if i have to read 4 books at once :)

message 6: by Hanne (last edited Aug 27, 2013 07:10AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

ch24 - it is others island! and the others are still very scary, and possibly still pissed that their "oracle" has dissapeared by now.

at least one cool thing: dutiful recognizes fitz on some level. i was getting a bit scared that his treatment of dutiful would damage their father/son or uncle/nephew bond for the next 50 years.
perhaps it won't be that bad.

if only nighteyes could kill that hunting cat!

message 7: by Hanne (last edited Aug 27, 2013 12:27PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

ch25 - i can't really see a way out of here. i'm sure there must be, that mrs hobb is not going to be so cruel to us, but i can't really imagine what it would be. (unless it's laurel?)

also, poor nighteyes :(
please tell me fitz will at least be there?

seems like i was also wrong about that connection dutiful felt, it might just be the skill imprint and nothing more.
i was kind of hoping that dutiful might recognize the man from his dreams on some level

David Sven (gorro) | 567 comments Hanne wrote: "ch21 - i'm a bit disapointed by these hunting cats, i thought they would have put up a better fight."

Well they were on a narrow hill path with a cliff down one side, so the cats didn't have a lot of room to manoever and they had all the horse legs to navigate as well

Hanne wrote: "ch21 - i would think that in time of need the cat would choose it's witted partner not the prince he is misleading.
maybe the cat really is sort of bonded to both? "

I took it to be the cat was acting under instructions from whoever the woman is. It also seems that the cat and the woman have taken over dutiful's mind to a degree. I wonder if the woman is actually inside the cat like Fitz was inside the wolf in Farseer. There seems to be something off about it.

message 9: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 432 comments David Sven wrote: " I wonder if the woman is actually inside the cat like Fitz was inside the wolf in Farseer."

That was my understanding of it.

David Sven (gorro) | 567 comments That make's sense because in the dreams Fitz is following both the cat and the woman - but he never sees the woman.

David Sven (gorro) | 567 comments Hanne wrote: "secondly, the cat-girl thing finally makes sense. so there was a huntress who found the cat, they bonded but she is now dead. "

Yep - it makes sense now.

Hanne wrote: "ch22 - The fool, being a white prophet, was unhumanly pale. And amber definitely not.
Which begs the question what really happened to the fool to change his colouring? does it happen after you save the world once?"

I thought he mentions earlier that it changes with age in stages. His white complexion was his pre adult adult stage. Maybe his female form was another stage.

David Sven (gorro) | 567 comments Hanne wrote: "ch24 - it is others island! and the others are still very scary, and possibly still pissed that their "oracle" has dissapeared by now."

Just think, there'd be no context for this chapter if we hadn't read Liveships first.

absolutely! i don't get the ones who skip liveship traders. i thought those books were absolutely marvelous!

message 14: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 432 comments yeah. there is more to come too. None of it key to understanding what's going on, but certainly a lot more meaningful to those who read liveship.

would Fitz see the liveship Amber 'remade' to his liking? that would fabulous! :)

Daniel | 2 comments Coming in late to the game! I just wanted to chime in about the feathers. For the wooden rooster crown? Surely it couldn't be made of Wizardwood, could it?

Daniel | 2 comments Coming in late to the game! I just wanted to chime in about the feathers. For the wooden rooster crown? Surely it couldn't be made of Wizardwood, could it?

David Sven (gorro) | 567 comments Daniel wrote: "Coming in late to the game! I just wanted to chime in about the feathers. For the wooden rooster crown? Surely it couldn't be made of Wizardwood, could it?"

Oh yes. Now that wood be something :)