Fool's Errand (Tawny Man, #1)
This topic is about Fool's Errand
Book 7 - Fool's Errand > fool's errand part 3 > chapters 11 to 15

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Hanne (hanne2) | 791 comments Mod
chapters 11 to 15

ch11 - and so we know what the task is for Fitz, returning the prince home.

it's kind of good to hear that the prince has Skill and Wit, it really does make him Fitz' son. i did find it weird that this seems to well known?
Chade was mentioning that 'they' assumed Dutiful had the wit from Fitz' mother. would they really accept a King that is a bastard's son with the Queen? Weird.

I got a bit annoyed with Fitz, sometimes he really is a bit dim. I think most of us got from the start that he was Skill-dreaming with Nettle and Dutiful, and he only realizes now?
They only thing i didn't quite realize until today is that Dutiful and Nettle might have been sharing his dreams too. Can you imagine Nettle telling at the breakfast table to Burrich and Molly about a man with a wolf?

David Sven (gorro) | 567 comments Hanne wrote: "i did find it weird that this seems to well known? "

That's what I thought it was saying too - but reading a bit more carefully it's not that they think Fitz is Dutiful's Father - though Chade at least knows and probably Kettricken(which is going to make things weird) - Some people are saying that Fitz having the Wit shows that it was part of the Farseer line going back to the Piebald prince - while the other camp that say Dutiful isn't witted, say Fitz got it from his mother - not the Farseer line.

“why would anyone think Prince Dutiful was Witted?”
“Because you were,” Chade said shortly....
"...You were Witted,” he resumed. “Some say it must have come from your mother, whoever she was, and Eda forgive me, I've encouraged that thinking. But others point back a time, to the Piebald Prince and several other oddlings in the Farseer line, to say, 'No, the taint is there, down in the roots, and Prince Dutiful is a shoot from that line.'”

Hanne wrote: "Can you imagine Nettle telling at the breakfast table to Burrich and Molly about a man with a wolf?"

You would have to think this must have happened - I can see him eventually meeting Nettle and facing Molly and Burrich.

David Sven (gorro) | 567 comments Actually reading it again I'm not sure Chade knows at all - but I still suspect Kettricken might know.

David Sven (gorro) | 567 comments Ch12 - So Jinna and Fitz making a connection. I like the cat. Fitz being a bodyguard will hopefully stop people slapping him up the side of his head. I liked the moment when Kettricken sees him for the first time - even though she doesn't seem to recognise him - or maybe she does and is just maintaining his cover. She has a little of the Wit about her I think - being able to sense him - I think it was suggested as much in the first Trilogy.

David Sven wrote: "Hanne wrote: "i did find it weird that this seems to well known? "

That's what I thought it was saying too - but reading a bit more carefully it's not that they think Fitz is Dutiful's Father - th..."

aaah yes, reading it again. it's grammatically a bit of a weird set of sentences, but this way makes more sense indeed. the mother thing is to explain Fitz, and say it doesn't run in the Farseer line (or not much)

still not convinced about Chade though. his little fit against fitz when the latter one was playing dumb was a bit too weird. plus Chade keeps telling how much Dutiful reminds him of Fitz.
of course it might still run in the family. people keep telling me how much my niece looks like me and i'm sure as hell not her mother.

maybe the general public doesn't know, but i wouldn't put chade in that bucket right now. he has a hang of knowing a lot (and all those spy holes that were revealed might have a lot to do with it)

David Sven wrote: "Actually reading it again I'm not sure Chade knows at all - but I still suspect Kettricken might know."

it puts another spin on Kettricken defending the Witted. for Fitz sake, but also for her own son.
it's not like we should be surprised that Dutiful is Witted, because both his father and mother are

David Sven wrote: "Ch12 - So Jinna and Fitz making a connection. I like the cat. Fitz being a bodyguard will hopefully stop people slapping him up the side of his head. I liked the moment when Kettricken sees him for..."

I thought the cat was marvelous, and very cat-like :)

As far as the charm goes, it looks like a tricky one. It'll be hard to stay unnoticed if all the servant girls are going to try and kiss him.

Kettricken, yes the moment he even whispers her name, she looks up. Just like Molly did when he went to 'spy' on them a few years ago. Saying someones name sure has power, and even more so when your name is Fitz. I'm not sure whether it's Skill or Wit though? Seems like it would more be a Skilled thing to whisper someones name and have them react to it?
Especially because there was a lot of emotion behind that whispering, it was the first time he'd seen them in years.

message 9: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 432 comments Ah yeah. Jinna's cat is awesome.

ch14 - woohaa, i loved that little race at the end with the horses. i wonder whether nighteyes will end try to go after them (probably).

i wonder at this huntswoman laurel, i suppose kettricken is smart enough to send someone with them that knows a lot about what's going on with dutiful - knowing full well that if they catch Dutiful now, things might be revealed about him that the world around him isn't ready for.

and i wonder whether dutiful will recognize fitz as the man from his dreams. if nighteyes is there that will be easy obviously, but if not, he might not.

ch15 - no, it can't be a coincidence that dutiful is here at the very place where his cat came from. is he in the palace itself? or really somewhere in the forest?
it strikes me as weird that a prince, however modest he has been raised, wouldn't be able to survive on his own in a forest, even if the hunting cat would bring him food.

David Sven (gorro) | 567 comments Hanne wrote: "i wonder at this huntswoman laurel, i suppose kettricken is smart enough to send someone with them that knows a lot about what's going on with dutiful "

I wonder at how much she knows as well. She must know they are going after Dutiful otherwise I don't see why Kettricken would have sent her without filling her in. If she does know then she is doesn't know Fitz knows - which may be why he says that he admires her for being able to be discreet.
I'm also wondering if she's a spy for the people who took Dutiful.

David Sven (gorro) | 567 comments So Lady Bresinga might be Witted - she seemed to pick up on Fitz and the Wolf before they covered it. And I agree - the fact that he is at the place where the cat came from is suspicious