This topic is about Fool's Errand
Book 7 - Fool's Errand > fool's errand part 2 > chapters 6 to 10

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Hanne (hanne2) | 791 comments Mod
chapters 6 to 10

message 2: by Hanne (last edited Aug 22, 2013 01:54PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

ch6 - aha! here were have the wooden rooster crown amber got in the last book. what is weird though is that fitz and the fool seemed to have had a (shared?) dream about that crown, as fitz immediately recognized it.
i can't recall anything of the kind?

also wondering when we're leaving now. I guess we'll wait until Hap comes back, and he might join on the way to Buckkeep (if that is where we are going).
on the way, Hap might actually learn a few things about woodcarving from the fool.

but whether nighteyes will still be part of the group when they're leaving? he seems to be getting quite old and tired.

David Sven (gorro) | 567 comments I remember that Fitz kept having those glimpses into the other world, but I don't remember the Rooster Crown. It's been a while since I read Farseer. A quick search and there's a Chapter called The Rooster Crown in Assassins Quest - They were on the Skill Road and near one of the Skill pillars

message 4: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 432 comments It was a vision Fitz had while on the skill road. He saw the fool wearing the crown. I think you'll learn more later in this trilogy.

aha, thanks Rob! i was already stuck with this in Liveship Traders, because the fool was so happy with the crown, but i couldn't recall any of it.

ch7 - I'm slightly disturbed by the strenght of Fitz's reaction to the Fool renewing the bond in an attempt to save him. Didn't he just do the exact same thing? And perhaps even worse, because the Fool (as Fitz comments himself) doesn't know how to truly use that Skill bond, while Fitz does

Love this observation of the fool though: "So, with all the wide world to choose from, you didn't choose at all. You simply stopped wandering one day."
Don't we all?

ch8 - i'm absolutely loving this references to liveship traders, and i felt to bad when the fool was talking about this weak, stunted dragons that hatched too early. i hope one of these chapters we'll see a dragon fly by and be everything they should be

message 7: by Hanne (last edited Aug 23, 2013 12:10PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

ok, i took a page from David's playbook, and looked this one up in Calibre (because i have this as an ebook hoorah). copying way too much here, but this is Robin Hobb and not ERikson so you need more than the actual quote (and i'm too lazy to summarize)

So we're indeed on the Skill-road and the Fool has just touched that black stone portal:

The Fool and I hastened ahead, leaving Kettle to go back and tell Kettricken of the juncture. The juncture of the road was marked by a great paved circle, surrounded by open grassy meadow, with another monolith at its center. I would have expected it to be crowned with moss and scarred by lichen. Instead the black stone was smooth and clean save for dust deposited by wind and rain. I stood staring up at the stone, studying the glyphs while the Fool wandered about. I was wondering if any of the markings on this one matched the markings I had copied to the map when the Fool exclaimed, “There was a village here, once!” He gestured wide with his hands.

I glanced up, and saw what he meant. There were indentations in the meadows where stunted grass cloaked old, paved walkways. A wide, straight way that might have been a street once ran through the meadow and off beneath the trees. Moss- and vine-shrouded upthrusts were all that remained of cottage and shop walls that had lined it. Trees grew where once hearths had burned and folk had dined. The Fool found a large block of stone and climbed upon it to spy in all directions. “It might have been a sizable town, at one time.”

It made sense. If this road had been the highway for commerce that I had seen in my Skill-seeing, then it was only natural that a town or market would spring up at every crossroads. I could imagine it on a bright spring day, when farmers brought fresh eggs and new spring greens to town and weavers hung out their new goods to tempt the buyers and . . .

For half an instant, the circle about the pillar thronged with folk. The vision began and ended at the pavement stones. Only within the virtue of the black stone did the people laugh and gesture and barter with one another. A girl crowned with a twist of green vine came through the crowd, glancing back over her shoulder at someone. I swear she caught my eye and winked at me. I thought I heard my name called and turned my head. Upon a dais stood a figure dressed in a flowing garment that shimmered with the glint of gold thread. She wore a gilded wooden crown decorated with cunningly carved and painted rooster heads and tail feathers. Her scepter was no more than a feather duster but she gestured with it royally as she issued some decree. In the circle about me, folk roared with laughter. I could only stare at her ice white skin and colorless eyes. She looked right at me.

(...) And then after the Fool awakes:

“I know,” he replied, almost sincerely, and then added, “As I said. Exactly where we need to be.” He paused, then asked me suddenly, “Did you see my crown? Wasn’t it magnificent? I wonder if I shall be able to carve it from memory?”

“I saw the rooster crown,” I said slowly. “But what to make of any of this, I do not know.”

“You don’t?” He cocked his head at me, then smiled pityingly. “Oh, Fitzy-fitz, I would explain it if I could. It is not that I wish to keep secrets, but these secrets defy telling in mere words. They are more than half a feeling, a grasping of rightness. Can you trust me in this?”

David Sven (gorro) | 567 comments Hanne wrote: "ch7 - I'm slightly disturbed by the strenght of Fitz's reaction to the Fool renewing the bond in an attempt to save him. Didn't he just do the exact same thing? And perhaps even worse, because the Fool (as Fitz comments himself) doesn't know how to truly use that Skill bond, while Fitz does"

I think having someone invade your mind wouldn't be that nice. Fitz is already quite adverse to it and in Farseer he usually kept his mind shut tight. Even when he was carrying Verity around through skill took an enormous amount of trust. I think because he already shared the Wit with NightEyes he didn't see it as anything different - except it was because he was able to completely take over Nighteyes with the skill which the wolf found offensive - it's not the sort of thing equals are supposed to do.
I think he is offended with the Fool because it wasn't a mutual thing but I think this is more an initial natural reaction which he can reason out I did the same thing to Nighteyes - it had to be done to save him and I'm not sorry I did - not should I be

David Sven (gorro) | 567 comments Ch9 - So Fitz visited Bingtown, Saw a Liveship, took a ride down the Rainwild River, secretly visited Burrick and Molly. He didn't see any dragons but that was probably before they came back - and at the moment the dragons are too embarrassed to get out because they're stunted. I had to laugh at that last one.

David Sven (gorro) | 567 comments I bet the Fool ends up paying for Hap's apprenticeship with the cabinet maker.
And did I miss it or does the Fool not have a name this book so far?

Now I'm in the right group :)

message 11: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 432 comments David Sven wrote: "And did I miss it or does the Fool not have a name this book so far?"

I'd guess probably not because once you know it, you'll hear it a lot. I'll tell you what it is in a spoiler tag..just to taunt you.. :P

(view spoiler)

David Sven wrote: "Ch9 - So Fitz visited Bingtown, Saw a Liveship, took a ride down the Rainwild River, secretly visited Burrick and Molly. He didn't see any dragons but that was probably before they came back - and ..."

Yes, the stunted shy dragons... poor things.
I couldn't believe it when i heard they just crossed that territory on foot.

My bet is that the Fool will teach Hap at first.

message 13: by Hanne (last edited Aug 24, 2013 12:15PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

David, Re: the name.
He's been ambiguous on the account of his name. We only know that his mother called him "Beloved". But then, my mother calls me a bizillion things as well that aren't necessarily the name i have on my passport :)

ch10 - and we're off! so many people who tried Fitz to move, but it finally was a complete summons with a charging buck on it that made it happen.

i'm so curious to see what the super-urgent need is for Fitz to go to Buckkeep.

David Sven (gorro) | 567 comments Hanne wrote: "We only know that his mother called him "Beloved""

Actualy David means Beloved - and the female version Davina - But that Hebrew. Then again with names like "Chivalry" and "Dutiful" why not just Beloved?

@Rob - You are a very bad man! I'm not clicking it...I'm not

David Sven (gorro) | 567 comments Ch10 - There's that sense that he is fated to go - just as he's getting ready to leave anyway he gets summoned. If we go by the Fool's prophecy he's in for a rough ride - the pebble in the rut still gets run over and trampled. If only I didn't care what happened to him. But I do.

Sumant Only Hobb can write text where we the conversations from a lonely guy aka Fitz are so good to read.

The fool's arrival has already changed Fitz life, otherwise most of his day consisted of misery. I think the Night eyes tiring may also be due to the fact that he has to support Fitz emotionally so much.