Bisky's Twitterling's Scribbles! discussion

All Things Writing > How many of us write 'fan-fic?'

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (new)

Michael Pearce (michaeltinkerpearce) | 91 comments I've only ever written one piece of 'fan-fic' and it was based on World of Warcraft. I know a lot of other people write fan-fic, and with Amazon Worlds providing the opportunity to actually sell fan-fic from certain series I'm interested in what y'all think and do. Bisky, since you play WoW I'd be happy to share that piece... it's only about 2K words and it's not like I can sell it, lol.

message 2: by Bisky (new)

Bisky Scribbles (bisky_scribbles) | 2536 comments Mod
I write DBZ Fanficiton(vegeta <3), and one of the main characters in a Dance With Fury is homage to one of my favourite animes. (well when he's thirty hes like 13 years old in the anime lol) But I wont say which one because it would contain a spoiler :3 (kinda)

The author of the anime in turn has a main character (baddie) heavily influenced by DBZ. I think all writers fan fic, whether they admit it or not :p

Yes doooo :D I want to know! I shall give you my email in a private msg :3

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael Pearce (michaeltinkerpearce) | 91 comments On it's way!

message 4: by Bisky (new)

Gots it, I shall read it tonight :3

message 5: by Kay (new)

Kay (aceraven) | 41 comments Fanfic actually helped me get back into a writing habit. I wrote so much fanfic in 2010 that it actually spawned the ideas for my original stuff and I wanted to write my own work so badly that I started off and haven't gone back. I think fanfics a lot of fun and it gives you feedback about what people like in the way you write and what people don't. Everyone knows if you strayed from characterization or messed with the canon, which is helpful (I think) in original writings as well.

message 6: by Bisky (new)

I think fan fic is really important as it can teach you how to expand on a character, or how important the develpment was for you to get sucked into their life :3

message 7: by J (new)

J | 301 comments Mod
I didn't know that Amazon allowed the sail of fan fiction for some series.

I have a friend who wrote fan fiction (possible from DBZ) and he later converted his characters to fit his own story.

My brother's into WoW, and I know he's written some fan fiction, but not sure if it involves WoW. I know he's written some taking place in the Harry Potter world.

The closest I've done to fan fiction was:
When I was a kid, I just drew comics in my notebook. It was set at CatDog's house, but Team Rocket from Pokemon was in it. I had my own characters, too, including a talking snowman. Aladdin's magic carpet was in it, too. I guess it's a gathering of random characters from random shows. They worked at a building shaped like one of those 'fat lil' notebooks and wrote lists of words all day. I was a weird kid. xD

message 8: by D. (new)

D. Jason (deejf) | 1 comments Not sure I've ever really written straight fanfic. I am working on a piece that might count, a pastiche of Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe books, but with a current author in the Wolfe role, and myself in the Archie role (and I'm writing it at the author's request, too).

And sometime after that, a completely different Wolfe pastiche, using recognizable characters from a different milieu entirely.

So both might count as fanfics, but by combining things in different ways, I'll get to publish them as my own.

message 9: by Bisky (new)

@Josh I dont think it does but i think i have seen a doshinji (cant spell right now haha) the fan fic mangas. And 50 shades was a Twilight fanfic. I think all 90s kids put those characters in there novels somewhere :p

@D yeah i think massive influences can almost be seen as fanfic sometimes :3

message 10: by Ken (new)

Ken Mooney (kenmooney) I think like Bisky said, all of us do it to some extent: it's a great ground to start learning about characters and honing your skills. And I definitely draw inspiration from scenes or characters: I don't know if they're always obvious, but they're there.

That said, there's a lot about it that makes me feel uncomfortable, and that sort of goes hand-in-hand with the obsessive "fandoms" that have come to the fore in the last decade or so. "Back in my day" etc etc, but it sometimes feels like every teenager thinks they're a literary genius just because they write some Supernatural slash fiction...

Funny stories about my own fanfic experiences:
-Deciding I wanted to write a fanfic sequel to Stargate (the movie) on the way home from the cinema. Three TV shows later, I kind of wish I had.
-Power Rangers (original) fanfic: I desperately wanted there to be a grey ranger for some reason.
-X-Men fanfiction: Jean Grey found she had a missing brother who had fire powers and would also host the Phoenix force. His name was Nova. Umm...yeah, if you know your comics/X-Men, you'll probably realise how ahead/behind the curve I was on that...

message 11: by Carl (new)

Carl Never.

message 12: by Bisky (new)

@Ken I would read all of those! haha
fandoms suck :x They really started when I was in school, people just got nastier and more obessive. Social media definatly has soemthing to do with it :x

@Carl why? :o Not even in your head

message 13: by Carry (new)

Carry | 38 comments The original story I am going to start soon, started out as a fan fiction. Together with a good friend we decided to write a story and use our favourite musicians as main characters :P

I used to write some Harry Potter fan fiction as well, but with planning things for the original story, I haven't read or wrote any.

message 14: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Barnes | 86 comments I started with Fan Fic, but I haven't written it in a long time. I did take that story and change names and a few telling elements then worked it into it's own story. Don't think it will ever see the published page though. lol

message 15: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Barnes | 86 comments Josh wrote: "The closest I've done to fan fiction was:
When I was a kid, I just drew comics in my notebook. It was set at CatDog's house, but Team Rocket from Pokemon was in it. I had my own characters, too, including a talking snowman. Aladdin's magic carpet was in it, too. I guess it's a gathering of random characters from random shows. They worked at a building shaped like one of those 'fat lil' notebooks and wrote lists of words all day. I was a weird kid. xD"

I did that with the original Battlestar Galactica, Dukes of Hazard, and a few others. (Jeeze that dates me! :P) Took those characters and actors and their worlds and mixed it all up.

message 16: by Bisky (new)

I think there is a desire to expand on characters we love. I get upset when an author moves on from a series without ever tying up all their loose ends. I want to know everything! :D

message 17: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Castro (nicolecastro) | 116 comments I used to write Nsync slash. Yes, I just admitted that.

message 18: by Bisky (new)

I laughed so hard hahaha

message 19: by Ken (new)

Ken Mooney (kenmooney) Nicole wrote: "I used to write Nsync slash. Yes, I just admitted that."

...I need to know more about this...

Need.

message 20: by Susan (last edited Sep 01, 2013 03:13PM) (new)

Susan (authorsusanreid) | 28 comments This will sound strange...for the longest time, I had no idea what fan-fiction was, and I still really don't know...is that telling of my age or my intelligence as a writer? Lol! (No one answer that please):)

message 21: by Bisky (new)

Its carrying on the story from another book/series on paper. I think everyone does it in their head with their favourite character...

Espech if they are a sexy lead male...

*strolls away*

message 22: by Susan (new)

Susan (authorsusanreid) | 28 comments Bisky wrote: "Its carrying on the story from another book/series on paper. I think everyone does it in their head with their favourite character...

Espech if they are a sexy lead male...

*strolls away*"

Oh I see, sounds like something I may have been good at doing, because I did do that a lot in my head too! lol!

message 23: by David (new)

David (darev) | 0 comments I've written fanfic for tv series up until a little while ago. I haven't done it much recently, because life's kicking down my door and I've started a new job. Plus I want to write professionally so I need to get my own original work out there. You can find it on my website, darev.weebly.com.

As for the shows, I really like Kim Possible fanfic, though a lot of the great writers for that genre have gone.

message 24: by Bisky (new)

There is a link thread where you can post that :]

And I friggin love Kim Possible lol :x

message 25: by David (new)

David (darev) | 0 comments Same here. Sorry about the link. Been out of the loop so long I forget to read instructions.

message 26: by Bisky (new)

Its alright no problem :] I often wondered why they didnt continue it.

message 27: by David (new)

David (darev) | 0 comments Politics, my friend. The old creators left and Disney had other shows they wanted to promote. Personally, I'd love a new series with new characters that's based in the same universe. Kim and Ron could make cameo appearances.

message 28: by Bisky (new)

Their kids maybe? :p