Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > Audiobooks and page numbers

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (gakat) | 45 comments I requested that page numbers be removed from
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15... and asked if the length of the audiobook could be added. I received the following response:

"message 5: by rivka, Volunteer Mod (new) 17 minutes ago
rivka | 17347 comments The 10 "pages" means 10 hours for an audiobook."

If this answer is correct then I think this policy needs to be revisited. Audiobooks don't have page numbers and updating reading progress via percentages is preferable over a limited and incorrect number of page numbers.

Maybe add the length and if the audiobook is abridged or unabridged to the "edition" field instead?

message 2: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 839 comments the consensus from many discussions on audiobooks is that hours is the best way to log progress - you can still log percentages for progress - 1 hour listened to is 10% etc...

message 3: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41982 comments Mod
Katherine wrote: "updating reading progress via percentages"

This is possible regardless of whether pages have been added or not. Many audiobook readers (we did a poll in what was at that time the largest audiobook readers group a number of years back) DO want those "pages" indicated.

Length of the audiobook absolutely does not belong in the edition field, but the description field would be fine.

message 4: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (gakat) | 45 comments Dee wrote: "the consensus from many discussions on audiobooks is that hours is the best way to log progress - you can still log percentages for progress - 1 hour listened to is 10% etc..."

How does one log percentages with page numbers? Anytime that an audiobook has page numbers it will not let me track via percentage but only page 1 of 10 etc.

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

message 6: by J. Darien (new)

J. Darien (volus) | 56 comments Click on the word page, and it'll turn into %

message 7: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (gakat) | 45 comments rivka wrote: "http://www.goodreads.com/help/show/21..."

Does this work in reverse..change pages to percentage?

message 8: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41982 comments Mod
Yes. It is a toggle, and can be used to change back and forth.